Internal Graphics Card problem??? Upgrade graphics cards???

Dec 8, 2022
Visit site
Hello Everyone!

I have a
Lenovo ThinkStation P330 Tower, Intel Core i7 8th Gen
MODEL: 30C5001XUS

I think I am having issues with the integrated “Intel UHD Graphics 630” card.

The monitor powers up and I quickly see the Lenovo logo followed by the Acer monitor logo and then I lose the signal of the display. Even when I switch the cable from one DisplayPort to the other.

I got a new monitor cable to test, but I am still the same problem (VGA to DisplayPort). The monitor has a VGA connection and the computer has 2 DisplayPorts.

I also replaced the internal battery in the computer and checked the cards, ram, and connections to make sure everything is tight and not loose.

This is why I think it’s the “Intel UHD Graphics 630” causing the problem.

Questions:

1. Since the motherboard has two empty slots, is it possible to install another GPU card and bypass the integrated one? Since the display loses the signal to the computer, will windows automatically switch to the new Graphics Card and display on the monitor?

2. What are my options? Which GPU cards would be good to look into for this computer? I do have 64GB for ram. It would be nice to be able to have a better graphics card on this computer for video editing.

Thanks

integrated “Intel UHD Graphics 630” card.
its not a card, its part of your CPU.

how long have you been using the monitor attached to converter cable setup?

You should think about a new monitor soon so you not needing to use a converter cable.

its likely you missing a driver or something as it works fine until it starts to load windows. ie, it shows both logos but it might not be getting a signal from the PC after that.

1. It should swap to using the external card so I would attach monitor to it

2. I don't know but this might help the next person - https://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sy...n_P330_Tower/ThinkStation_P330_Tower_Spec.PDF

Reactions: Brian Boru
Dec 8, 2022
Visit site
Sorry for the late response. I was on the road for a few days. I want to thank everyone responding here to help. You guys are awesome!!!

So, I replaced the internal battery on the motherboard and also got to try another monitor I borrowed from a friend. The computer screen is visible now. It looks like I had a bad monitor.

Now, the problem I am having is that famous infinite loop with the blue "Automatic Repair" screen.

When I got to Advanced Options to try to troubleshoot whether to try and do a "Startup Repair", "Command Prompt", or "System Restore", I get the defaultuser0 login screen asking for a password. There was never a password, but it won't let me bypass this. It keeps asking for a password.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Dec 8, 2022
Visit site
At this point I just want to re initialize windows on my computer completely to start from scratch. I already have backups of the files I need from before.

The problem is installing windows again without already having a boot usb drive and not having another pc to create one.

Also, by not having access to the troubleshooting utilities because of the system asking me for a password for defaultunser0, which a password was not setup for to start with. I am kinda stuck.

If the friend you borrowed the monitor from has a PC then just go to him with a USB and create a boot Image on it. Defaultuser0 is a temporary user used by windows during installation and should not exist unless there was an error during instalation (New OS install or update etc usually caused by an interupted update like PC turned off in the middle of an update process) that blocked it from being removed. The user has no password and can't be logged in to since not even "blank" is an associated password for that user.

Kinda feals like you had an update go realy wrong due to either hardware failure or interupted update or corrupted windows install, possibly a virus.
I personally think a reinstall is the quickest way for you to solve this issue.

Dec 8, 2022
Visit site
If the friend you borrowed the monitor from has a PC then just go to him with a USB and create a boot Image on it. Defaultuser0 is a temporary user used by windows during installation and should not exist unless there was an error during instalation (New OS install or update etc usually caused by an interupted update like PC turned off in the middle of an update process) that blocked it from being removed. The user has no password and can't be logged in to since not even "blank" is an associated password for that user.

Kinda feals like you had an update go realy wrong due to either hardware failure or interupted update or corrupted windows install, possibly a virus.
I personally think a reinstall is the quickest way for you to solve this issue.

Thanks for the reply!

I agree. Something went wrong. I am not sure i will be able to use my friends PC to create the bootable PC because it's a company PC and they don't allow him to use it for things like that. The monitor was easy to borrow because it doesn't violate company policy. I will have to see if I know anyone else with a PC. Most people I know use Mac computers.

If there is a way, what would be the process or steps to re-install windows 10 pro from scratch on my PC if I don't have another pc computer to make a bootable USB drive?

Since I don't have access to the troubleshooting utilities because of the system asking me for a password for defaultunser0

Thanks!

If you can't get in to windows You will have to use a boot media ie a USB or DVD. Since your PC is a lenovo, did you get a recovery disc with it, if so you could try using that to get up and running again. Do you get a menu with options or does it simply jump in to repair directly if you spam F11 at startup? If you do get to a menu you might be able to run a recovery from there if there is one saved on your pc from before.

Dec 8, 2022
Visit site
UPDATE:

This is what I ended up doing. I also have a MAC computer so I used a virtual machine on my Mac ( Parallels Desktop ) to create a bootable USB drive for Windows. Once I had that bootable drive, I was able to completely reinstall Windows 10 Pro on my Lenovo ThinkStation P330 Tower computer. I am up and running again! I want to thank everyone for your help and suggestions. I appreciate it.

Now my next challenge is to figure out how to upgrade my GPU card to use instead of the integrated “Intel UHD Graphics 630” card inside my computer. I may also need to upgrade my power supply to accommodate the new GPU card.

UPDATE:

This is what I ended up doing. I also have a MAC computer so I used a virtual machine on my Mac ( Parallels Desktop ) to create a bootable USB drive for Windows. Once I had that bootable drive, I was able to completely reinstall Windows 10 Pro on my Lenovo ThinkStation P330 Tower computer. I am up and running again! I want to thank everyone for your help and suggestions. I appreciate it.

Now my next challenge is to figure out how to upgrade my GPU card to use instead of the integrated “Intel UHD Graphics 630” card inside my computer. I may also need to upgrade my power supply to accommodate the new GPU card.
You should be able to disable it either in Devicemanager in windows or in BIOS.

TRENDING THREADS