Intel i9 9900KF non OC on Aorus Ultra Gaming 2.0 (11 vrm version)

Oct 24, 2021
Visit site
Hi all guys,

Im thinking about upgrade my PC and change my i7 8700K. The processor I was thinking about is the i9 9900K because I saw a very good offer. Do you think my motherboard will hold a 9900K despite being Z370 and not Z390? I have an 8700K and it works fine, but I'm afraid a 9900K will destroy the VRMs.

Aorus-Z370-Ultra-Gaming-2.0-2.jpg

Here's a chart showing a list of compatible MBs for the i9 9900K, and there are nearly thirty Z370 boards listed, so yes, your MB will work.

As you said though, the 8700K is pretty capable, I run one myself. The 9900K also runs pretty hot. It really comes down to whether your current GPU is well balanced with the 8700K.

I've seen the Tiny Tom Logan video criticizing your motherboards VRM set up and rightfully so. However if youre only playing games and not running stress tests or rendering video for long periods of time, you'll probably be O.K. Just make sure you have plenty of air moving through your case.

Frag Maniac has a good point though, I seriously doubt a 9900k is going to be much of an upgrade for general gaming. You'd be better off saving your money up and doing a full system upgrade in a year or two.

I've seen the Tiny Tom Logan video criticizing your motherboards VRM set up and rightfully so.
Actually that appears to be just the 1.0 revision. The 2.0 one he has is said to now have 11 power phases, vs the prior one having 7.

Actually that appears to be just the 1.0 revision. The 2.0 one he has is said to now have 11 power phases, vs the prior one having 7.

The link is to a video about the 2.0 version, which still isn't very good. If you prefer a text review theres one here.

I still think it will be fine for gaming with a fan blowing over it. But as pointed out in the TPU average gaming tables, 9900K is around 2% faster on average. Unless a game really takes advantage of more than 12 threads then the difference wont be noticeable in a Pepsi challenge.

The link is to a video about the 2.0 version, which still isn't very good. If you prefer a text review theres one here.

I still think it will be fine for gaming with a fan blowing over it. But as pointed out in the TPU average gaming tables, 9900K is around 2% faster on average. Unless a game really takes advantage of more than 12 threads then the difference wont be noticeable in a Pepsi challenge.
Ah, sorry, didn't click the link.

Yeah 2% isn't really worth it for all the added heat you get with the 9900K. I'm a big fan of PCs that run cool and quiet.

Reactions: Kaamos_Llama

TRENDING THREADS