Question Inquiry on possible issue.

Jun 21, 2022
Visit site
One afternoon I shut my PC down and left for a couple hours and when I returned I hit the power button and got no power to my peripherals.

I replaced my PSU and my PC posted fine. After a couple hours it randomly resets and gives me a blue screen while playing a game. I fix the blue screen by reverting to a previous version of my OS and everything was fine until I left again for a couple of hours and returned to no power to peripherals. I moved my ram sticks, cleared CMOS and took out the motherboard battery with no success. Could this be a motherboard issue and my original PSU was fine or could this be a GPU or CPU issue. I am looking for any advice and apologize in advance if I missed anything as this is my first time owning a PC.

Welcome to the forum :)

Are you in a country with reliable electricity, and is PC in a room with not-roasting ambient temperatures?

shut my PC down … hit the power button

To confirm, that's a full shut down and power up, not any kind of sleep or hibernation?

First thing to look at is the Power Plan. Try changing elements of that to not switch stuff off after an hour or two.

reverting to a previous version of my OS
What is your OS?
Did you revert via Restore Point, or something else?

a couple of hours
That seems to be a recurring theme. Suggests either a power plan timing issue or a build-up of something over time, eg heat or memory leak.

Do you do anything apart from gaming on PC? What sort of games?

Anyway, one of our experts will be along soon and will need to know as much as possible about your PC parts, especially PSU and motherboard.

this is my first time owning a PC
Welcome to the light ;)
It could be as simple as you're overloading the PC—ie asking it to do stuff it's not capable of. We won't know until you tell us as much as possible about the PC and what you use it for.

This may help:

Of particular interest are:
Exact make & model of your Power Supply;
Motherboard;
Case & cooling parts;

Graphics card;
Monitor model & Hz;
Resolution you're running at;
What graphic settings level have you enabled?

Are all drivers & BIOS up to date?

Jun 21, 2022
Visit site

Are you in a country with reliable electricity, and is PC in a room with not-roasting ambient temperatures?

To confirm, that's a full shut down and power up, not any kind of sleep or hibernation?

First thing to look at is the Power Plan. Try changing elements of that to not switch stuff off after an hour or two.

What is your OS?

That seems to be a recurring theme. Suggests either a power plan timing issue or a build-up of something over time, eg heat or memory leak.

Anyway, one of our experts will be along soon and will need to know as much as possible about your PC parts, especially PSU and motherboard.

Welcome to the light ;)
It could be as simple as you're overloading the PC—ie asking it to do stuff it's not capable of. We won't know until you tell us as much as possible about the PC and what you use it for.

This may help:

Motherboard;
Case & cooling parts;

Graphics card;
Monitor model & Hz;

What is your OS?

Welcome to the light ;)

This may help:

Motherboard;
Case & cooling parts;

Graphics card;
Monitor model & Hz;

The specifications for my PC are
Processor: Intel i7-11700F running windows 11
gpu cooler NZXT Kraken X53
GPU: xfx speedster radeon 6600
ram: 2 8gb sticks of ddr4 ram
Monitor: LG ultragear 32in 165hz
PSU: EVGA 600w 80 bronze, my last power supply was EVGA 600w 80 gold I believe

In order to solve blue screen I reverted to a 2 week old version of my OS with the restore option. When leaving my PC I perform a shutdown using ctrl+alt+delete.
i live in the US and have an AC in my room so temperatures shouldn’t be a problem. I play games like Apex and Valorant and watch TV shows in streaming apps, I run my games with optimized settings for performance.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Jun 21, 2022
Visit site
Does it happen when you shut it down from Windows without using the power button?
I shut down from windows. I should also mention that this is a cyber power PC prebuilt but the only thing I replaced was the CPU cooler because it had a 20 dollar cooler master that would make it exceed 70° C so I stopped using my pc for a week while my kraken arrived. Worked fine for weeks after until a problem with my 3060 so I traded out the 3060 for the 6600 while I planned for bigger upgrades, I suspect the motherboard but the blue screens prior worry me.

Jun 21, 2022
Visit site
Does it happen when you shut it down from Windows without using the power button?
I have not powered on my device since, I get no power to peripherals, I will attempt disconnecting all power cables and reconnecting them, Can the motherboard cause a power issue like this

I have not powered on my device since, I get no power to peripherals, I will attempt disconnecting all power cables and reconnecting them, Can the motherboard cause a power issue like this
I believe this could be one of two things. It's either your motherboard or your graphics card.

Try flipping the switch on the PSU off. While the switch is in its off position, hit the power button. This will release the power stored in the capacitors. Flip the switch on the PSU to ON, and try starting your computer again. If this works, it is probably a MB issue. If it doesn't try another GPU, or if your CPU and motherboard supports it, remove the GPU and connect your screen to the motherboard output.

When you say you don't get power to your peripherals, you mean your mouse and keyboard, right?

Reactions: Alm and Brian Boru
Jun 21, 2022
Visit site
I believe this could be one of two things. It's either your motherboard or your graphics card.

Try flipping the switch on the PSU off. While the switch is in its off position, hit the power button. This will release the power stored in the capacitors. Flip the switch on the PSU to ON, and try starting your computer again. If this works, it is probably a MB issue. If it doesn't try another GPU, or if your CPU and motherboard supports it, remove the GPU and connect your screen to the motherboard output.

When you say you don't get power to your peripherals, you mean your mouse and keyboard, right?
Yes I mean my mouse, keyboard and monitor. I’ll be home soon to test the solutions provided and thank you for responding this has been a very frustrating problem.

Reactions: Slasken
Jun 21, 2022
Visit site

UPDATE: I drained the power and it worked like you said. So it must be a motherboard issue? This is such a relief I appreciate your help

Reactions: Slasken
UPDATE: I drained the power and it worked like you said. So it must be a motherboard issue? This is such a relief I appreciate your help
Glad to help. Yeah, I am almost certain it is a motherboard issue, as it is the motherboard that powers your peripherals.

Next time it happens, you should read the post code on your motherboard. If your computer doesn't boot past post, your post code will give you an indication of where it stops.

Your POST code usually a two digit display or leds that are on your MB. Read them in reference to your MB manual.

Jun 21, 2022
Visit site
Glad to help. Yeah, I am almost certain it is a motherboard issue, as it is the motherboard that powers your peripherals.

Next time it happens, you should read the post code on your motherboard. If your computer doesn't boot past post, your post code will give you an indication of where it stops.

Your POST code usually a two digit display or leds that are on your MB. Read them in reference to your MB manual.
My motherboard doesn’t have a LED reading a code it seems like a rather basic one with no lights but I will look into a way of finding out the problem code with this MB.

TRENDING THREADS