PCG Article Immortality Review (Scores a 95)

Crysis
Deux Ex: Human Revolution
Half-Life 2
Kerbal Space Program
Minecraft
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
Spelunky
Team Fortress 2
Pretty sure all of those predate my return to gaming in 2014 (long story). That's a hell of a short list. though, considering how many games are reviewed each year.
Oh, one of my fav indies! And it's same composer as for his follow-up Telling Lies.
I loved Her Story. Wasn't as happy with Telling Lies. Looking forward to playing this, though.

Well, my first impression is that the control scheme is F******** ridiculous. I may or may not play this after all.

What is this? Sure, I can read it, but why is it like this? Is it implying that the footage has been cut up and is missing sections?

footage.jpg

Last edited:
Well, my first impression is that the control scheme is F******** ridiculous. I may or may not play this after all.
Actually, the first time through the tutorial was screwed up for some reason and the directions/screens were not in sync. I started over and everything worked fine. Controls aren't that bad now that I have the right ones for the right screens.

My brain isn't so good, but I don't recall anything else scoring that high. This game is from the guy who did Her Story.

Game is on Game Pass plus all those other places, I'd imagine.
Well, I know it's just my opinion, but this looks more like an interactive movie you fiddle around with like a demented puzzle to make yourself feel like a director/detective, than a game. I could never get into something like this, so naturally I would rate it FAR lower than 95%. As crazy as the world is anymore though, I totally see why it scored that high.

I'm sure Sam Barlow might think a lot of the movies I watch and games I play are not very creative or interesting, but I would just tell him, at least I know what a movie is and what a game is, and keep them in their own appropriate categories. I've never been a fan of people whom blur lines to the extreme and call it creative, more like ambiguous.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I know it's just my opinion, but this looks more like an interactive movie you fiddle around with like a demented puzzle to make yourself feel like a director/detective, than a game. I could never get into something like this, so naturally I would rate it FAR lower than 95%. As crazy as the world is anymore though, I totally see why it scored that high.

I'm sure Sam Barlow might think a lot of the movies I watch and games I play are not very creative or interesting, but I would just tell him, at least I know what a movie is and what a game is, and keep them in their own appropriate categories. I've never been a fan of people whom blur lines to the extreme and call it creative, more like ambiguous.
Well, I'm not getting onboard with all that :)

There's no ambiguity here, IMO. You are constantly evaluating film, rewinding, pausing, choosing the next place to go (many of the clips are very, very short). You never just sit there for a long time watching a movie. You are doing stuff. It's no different, really, than a Point & Click game that has a lot of narrative, except instead of pixel graphics it's FMV.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I'm not getting onboard with all that :)

There's no ambiguity here, IMO. You are constantly evaluating film, rewinding, pausing, choosing the next place to go (many of the clips are very, very short). You never just sit there for a long time watching a movie. You are doing stuff. It's no different, really, than a Point & Click game that has a lot of narrative, except instead of pixel graphics it's FMV.
Well, still, it's more like a film editing puzzle than any game I'd want to play. Certainly not a conventional video game. I've played Quantum Break and Remember Me, both of which had segments where you do similar things with short movie segments, but most of it was actual gameplay. If you make the WHOLE game that way, to me, it's not a game anymore.

Maybe another way of saying it is it's more a Game Video than a Video Game, because the game part is not the focal point, the video and what you do with it is. Not my cup of tea at all.

As far as whether it's ambiguous, IMO a "game" like this that is not one entertainment medium or another, but somehow supposed to be both, is practically the definition of the word.

Last edited:
Well, still, it's more like a film editing puzzle than any game I'd want to play. Certainly not a conventional video game. I've played Quantum Break and Remember Me, both of which had segments where you do similar things with short movie segments, but most of it was actual gameplay. If you make the WHOLE game that way, to me, it's not a game anymore.

Maybe another way of saying it is it's more a Game Video than a Video Game, because the game part is not the focal point, the video and what you do with it is. Not my cup of tea at all.

As far as whether it's ambiguous, IMO a "game" like this that is not one entertainment medium or another, but somehow supposed to be both, is practically the definition of the word.
Nah, It's all the same thing. It has gameplay like any other game. The problem here is that you have a very old and narrow view of what a game is. FMV games are, well, games, and they have been that way since at least the late 80s, but so are Quantic Dream Games and Telltale Games. The definition of a video game is simply that it is a game played on some sort of video monitor. This meets that requirement, and that's all there is to it.

Nah, It's all the same thing. It has gameplay like any other game. The problem here is that you have a very old and narrow view of what a game is. FMV games are, well, games, and they have been that way since at least the late 80s, but so are Quantic Dream Games and Telltale Games. The definition of a video game is simply that it is a game played on some sort of video monitor. This meets that requirement, and that's all there is to it.
So, by your definition, those Blu-ray movie discs that have options for the viewer to interact with are games. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this topic. I know some of my opinions aren't popular, but that doesn't bother me, nor do I think that makes them wrong. I also know some people think I'm a weird old dinosaur for constantly complaining about the way the world has become, that doesn't bother me either. One of the things that really irks me though is when people change definitions on a whim then look at you like you're nuts when you point it out.

Reactions: WoodenSaucer

TRENDING THREADS