IGN reports rumors a KOTOR remake is in development.

Jan 24, 2020
Visit site
This would make sense in all honesty. There have been a lot of Old Republic mentions in recent Star Wars media like Revan, Taris and Nar Shaddaa, making them canon.

The article says it would combine KOTOR 1+2 and make changes to implement them in the new canon.

How do you feel about this? Of course rumors are a dime a dozen, but the direction Disney seems to be taking post-Episode 9 points to the Old Republic being the new multimedia franchise.

Reactions: Sarafan

Sarafan

Community Contributor
Great that there's a chance for another single player KOTOR game. As Zloth pointed out however, I'm afraid of this new canon changes. The new trilogy was very mediocre. I'd prefer a game set in a world without this changes. That's impossible however.

Reactions: AGMoore
Jan 24, 2020
Visit site
Great that there's a chance for another single player KOTOR game. As Zloth pointed out however, I'm afraid of this new canon changes. The new trilogy was very mediocre. I'd prefer a game set in a world without this changes. That's impossible however.

The Star Wars MMO really screwed up Revan. I would rather have an Old Republic game set 200 years after the MMO or something. There's still thousands of years of untold stories.

Okay, so, expect a few things here.

If it's going to be canon then expect no character creation. You will play as a pre-defined character, most likely a white male.

Kiss most of the RPG aspects goodbye. It will most likely be an action-RPG like Fallen Order (but no god damn stupid platforming please or you can the project right now), but that's not really a problem in my mind, just that it will be quite different.

They use the term "incorporate" so expect something quite different. It will, at best, feel familiar story wise, but nothing like a true remake. They will add stuff and they will cut stuff and they will change stuff. If you hope for anything hope that it contains the heart or spirit of the original games.

Best just go in with an open mind and take the game for what it is and not what you expect it to be or think it should be. If it turns out to be real anyway.

Jan 24, 2020
Visit site
Okay, so, expect a few things here.

If it's going to be canon then expect no character creation. You will play as a pre-defined character, most likely a white male.

Kiss most of the RPG aspects goodbye. It will most likely be an action-RPG like Fallen Order (but no god damn stupid platforming please or you can the project right now), but that's not really a problem in my mind, just that it will be quite different.

They use the term "incorporate" so expect something quite different. It will, at best, feel familiar story wise, but nothing like a true remake. They will add stuff and they will cut stuff and they will change stuff. If you hope for anything hope that it contains the heart or spirit of the original games.

Best just go in with an open mind and take the game for what it is and not what you expect it to be or think it should be. If it turns out to be real anyway.

Revan was depicted as a white male in the MMO which is admittedly Legends. I don't think Disney would alter that appearance because SWTOR is still kicking and the playerbase saw some growth with the new expansion. Interestingly though, the Clone Wars tv show planned to include Revan and they planned on making the Sith Lord a female.

I love the combat system in the KOTOR games. It would be a shame if the remake was actionized but I believe you are correct.

It's the characters around Revan and the Exile that made those games classics. I still feel attached to Bastilla, Atton, HK47, Mira, Jolee, and Canderous. I hope they don't alter the characterization of those beloved figures.

Sarafan

Community Contributor
The Star Wars MMO really screwed up Revan. I would rather have an Old Republic game set 200 years after the MMO or something. There's still thousands of years of untold stories.

I never got to Revan in my SWTOR playthrough, so I don't know whether the game screwed his storyline. But I agree that there's still a lot of room for other stories in the Old Republic timeline.

Revan was depicted as a white male in the MMO

An unfortunate, but necessary, thing. Revan's ties to the IP are too strong to not have used him in the MMO, but it's terribly disappointingg he was an NPC boss. The fact that he was not the player meant he could have never been done right. Still, I enjoyed the Revan story in SWTOR well enough

I love the combat system in the KOTOR games.

I didn't. Ultimately why I never finished either KOTOR game. I thought using D&D rules set was a bad idea for a Star Wars video game from the start.

It's the characters around Revan and the Exile that made those games classics. I still feel attached to Bastilla, Atton, HK47, Mira, Jolee, and Canderous. I hope they don't alter the characterization of those beloved figures.

As it should be. As long as they get the characters and the dynamics of the relationships right all they need to do is not totally screw up the gameplay.

I'd prefer Knights of the Old Republic 3 vs remaking the original.

Well, everything made for Star Wars now has to be canon and so it can't go against established canon which ultimately means if they make KOTOR 3 then will absolutely retcon KOTOR 1 and 2. Conceivable they could do so through books or comics which might be acceptable.

TRENDING THREADS