If you like high tech racing, like F1 and drone racing, this is for you!

This video really blew me away. It's just too bad they didn't have dry conditions for their ultimate goal.

An excerpt from the video description...

"It took Red Bull and the Dutch Drone Gods over a year to create a drone that can accelerate two times faster than an F1 car, reaching 300 km/h in just 4 seconds with a top speed of over 350 km/h."

Last edited:
Oh yeah, that's seriously impressive—as Max said, this will change how people view F1. So interesting to see all the little corrections Max was making to deal with the conditions.

A family member and acquaintance are propeller heads and have been tinkering with drones for years. Anytime it flies over 15-20 mph they get antsy :D
But the cornering they were able to do, and handle the deceleration and acceleration without flipping or stalling—wonderful achievement.

Oh yeah, that's seriously impressive—as Max said, this will change how people view F1. So interesting to see all the little corrections Max was making to deal with the conditions.

A family member and acquaintance are propeller heads and have been tinkering with drones for years. Anytime it flies over 15-20 mph they get antsy :D
But the cornering they were able to do, and handle the deceleration and acceleration without flipping or stalling—wonderful achievement.

I'm hoping there will be a part 2 to this video in dry, sunny conditions. We may never see this tech actually used in F1 television coverage though because it would likely have to have reliable auto tracking to be safe enough, not to mention they'd have to stagger tons of these drones as they can only handle one lap battery wise.

If they manage to perfect a good tracking system at those speeds, which would be quite a feat in itself, I could see them maybe using them to cover the last several laps of a close race though. Even then it would take several drones staggered in one lap each.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian Boru
Yes this came up on my feed the other day. It reminded me of a gamers eye view of car racing and does make F1 more exciting to watch. You do get a real sense of the speed.

It will be good when they edit that footage into their other coverage. Imagine a number of drivers fighting for position and the camera being right there on top of them.

Also it's good to see collaborations, the drone team had limited resources but who better to give them ways of improving speed other thtan the F1 design and tech guys themselves..

Loved that little flip past the car at the end to get a different view.

Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts