If you had to choose two game characters to accompany you on a dangerous mission, who would you pick?

Just for added fun, let's say you have to pick people from games you've played, not just games you've heard about.

I was going to say Lara Croft and Miranda Lawson, because oh hell yes, but then I decided I might have less fun but more survivability with Geralt and Doomguy. I thought about the 4 horsemen from Darksiders, but they wouldn't care if I lived or died. If only I had played God of War, I could take Kratos, the killer of gods, but I have to wait for January for that one. Thorgram Grudgebearer from TWW2 would be a nice pick. Most of the "good guy" Warhammer 2 generals would be. I mean, they kill hundreds of enemies each battle. But I decided to stick with my Geralt and Doomguy.

So who would you pick?

Zloth

Community Contributor
Tricky to say without knowing what kind of dangerous mission this is. Let's see...

Helena Douglas, from Dead or Alive. Great in a melee fight, highly intelligent, up on all the latest gadgets (particularly cloning techniques), can take punishment that would shatter most people, rich enough to bribe our way out of anything of terrestrial origin, and gorgeous enough to wreck the home of even the most happily married demon lord.
full

Let's see, I've still got nothing to cover ranged attacks. Doomguy would steal Helena from... umm, I mean, Zed got Doomguy so he's out. Oh! My character from Mass Effect: Tesslah Shepard! Can shoot pretty well, but is excellent at summoning mini black holes to lift up and crush enemies. Best of all, if this dangerous mission is huge, she can spend a few weeks doing odd jobs for people, then trade in the generated goodwill for a massive space fleet!
full

Sally Nichols is the obvious choice of course. Tag all nearby enemies and able to revive herself when downed—latter is crucial, since she can revive me if I get downed, so I should enjoy immortality with her. Damn good with an AR too if we get careless or surprised.

For the other, it depends on what kind of danger we're facing. Like Sally, Far Cry/FC5 unless stated.

Military Patrols
Snipers Grace or Nana, gotta engage patrols from range to avoid easy targeting.

Air & Boat Pursuit
Hurk with his missile auto-lock onto motorized transport. Only works with Sally tho, given his frequent propensity for blowing up himself and anyone close by.

Massed Armor
General Malcolm "Ace" Granger, the air force general from C&C Generals ZH, nothing like stealth air units to create nice big piles of rust.

Detection / Infiltration
Garrett from Thief or Hitman's Agent 47 for urban environments, Jess Black for non-urban, Assassin's Creed's Altair or the gadget queen Cate Archer from No One Lives Forever for both.

Environment
Lara Croft, or Rico Rodriguez from Just Cause—those folks can just get around.

Last edited:
To clarify, you don't know what the threat is. Could be anything from normies, like @Brian Boru is concentrating on, or it could be supernatural (non-human enemies, basically). You have to prepare for any possibility. But since I didn't clarify earlier, Brian can face a mundane threat, otherwise he'd be completely screwed with his FC5 NPC team.

Last edited:
I read "supernatural" as woowoo rather than non-human :)

Dinosaurs, giant ants, antlions, head crabs, sabretooth tigers, giant squid, dragons, Drakken, zombies

The Scrin, Zerg, Core, Kapaku, Arm, Aeon Illuminate, Elohim, Cybran Nation, Protoss, Ceph, Mezari, Combine, Necrophages, Outsiders, Collectors, Silent Ones, Beta

anything other than humans
Orcs, Morgawr, Elves, Ardent Mages, dolphins, demons, Wild Walkers, Broken Lords, Mykara, wolves, bears, eagles, Allayi, GLaDOS, Big Daddies, etc etc.

I read "supernatural" as woowoo rather than non-human :)

Dinosaurs, giant ants, antlions, head crabs, sabretooth tigers, giant squid, dragons, Drakken, zombies

The Scrin, Zerg, Core, Kapaku, Arm, Aeon Illuminate, Elohim, Cybran Nation, Protoss, Ceph, Mezari, Combine, Necrophages, Outsiders, Collectors, Silent Ones, Beta

Orcs, Morgawr, Elves, Ardent Mages, dolphins, demons, Wild Walkers, Broken Lords, Mykara, wolves, bears, eagles, Allayi, GLaDOS, Big Daddies, etc etc.

Also, there may have been a misunderstanding. It doesn't have to be NPC's. You could bring Gordon Freeman with you, for instance.

I asked @GuidoTheGamer and he said Geralt and Hurk, so that's two of you who want that nutcase with you.

• Haha
Reactions: Brian Boru
I've lost sleep over this question. It has been plaguing me and I can't find a good enough answer.

The first character was pretty easy: Kirby
- Cute
- Unlikely to betray me
- Can break a planet in half with a single punch

However, the second one is where I'm stuck. I can't think of any character in a video game I've played that is both powerful and trustworthy. At first I thought maybe Hermione Granger from one of the Harry Potter games. Magic in the Harry Potter universe is extremely versatile, she's trustworthy and it would be nice to have a human to talk to. However, there were two problems. One: I've only played games set during the first year, so she would be 11, which isn't ideal. Second: the video games from Harry Potter use vastly different rules for magic than the books and I don't think it's fair to assume the game character would use the book logic.

The best second character I've come up with so far is Goku, mostly because of his ability to instantly teleport to any location in the universe. He's not a great pick though, as he's unreliable and there's like an 80% chance he would want to fight Kirby just to see who is stronger.

The best second character I've come up with so far is Goku, mostly because of his ability to instantly teleport to any location in the universe. He's not a great pick though, as he's unreliable and there's like an 80% chance he would want to fight Kirby just to see who is stronger.

Dangit. I LOVE Goku. I should have picked him. Cartoon Goku would walk through any game I've played unscathed (other than the Dragon Ball game, I guess), and if I died, he would collect the dragon balls and wish me back to life. Plus that annoying woman with the blue hair would probably show up, and I find her strangely attractive.

Reactions: Pifanjr
This is a tough question (but fun!), and it's difficult to narrow down the choices to two companions, out of all of those that I've traveled with in the past.

The first one is easy though: Garrus. He's got my back no matter the situation. Fun to talk with (when he's not checking calibrations), nice sarcastic sense of humor, and brutal with a sniper rifle.
3Mj6jHQ.png

The second choice is even tougher. But with further enlightenment, I've chosen Lydia from Skyrim, because I need someone to carry my burdens.
View: https://youtu.be/73y6qzU8ugQ

I was going to say Lara Croft and Miranda Lawson, because oh hell yes,
I agree with the thought process, but it's probably a good thing that you didn't choose them, as I think that you would end up dead in the first hostile encounter because you were distracted by your companions attributes and assets.
HSmnPip.jpg

DLqQcpp.jpg

you would end up dead in the first hostile encounter because you were distracted by your companions attributes and assets
I disagree with your thought process. We're on a dangerous mission—poorly defined, rules keep changing, but let's overlook the newbie mistakes—so survival is unlikely. So I must ask: have you got a better way to go?

both powerful and trustworthy
You need a big mech which obeys Asimov's laws. Or maybe the greatest ever exosuit—that might count as a companion, who knows what the rules will be by the time you read this :rolleyes:

So off with you, scour the galaxy!

Reactions: mainer and Pifanjr
I disagree with your thought process. We're on a dangerous mission—poorly defined, rules keep changing, but let's overlook the newbie mistakes—so survival is unlikely. So I must ask: have you got a better way to go?

You need a big mech which obeys Asimov's laws. Or maybe the greatest ever exosuit—that might count as a companion, who knows what the rules will be by the time you read this :rolleyes:

So off with you, scour the galaxy!

Ooh, EDI as the Normandy might be a good choice!

Wait, no, I just remembered about fuel, I'd just have a big hunk of metal.

Apparently the main ship of the Homeworld series is sentient as well, but again fuel and resources might be an issue. It really depends on whether you can manage to create a resource collector and get to an asteroid belt. And it still doesn't seem as powerful or useful as Goku, so I'll stick to my original answer for now.

I've thought of some more options: Genie from Kingdom Hearts after being freed. He can turn others into genies as well, so that should make the entire mission a lot safer for yourself as well.

Alternatively Shenron, from the Dragonball universe, can grant a wish as well and is typically quite helpful in getting the wish right.

Another option is Cthulhu from Cthulhu Saves the World. At the end he has his full powers and has decided he wants to be a hero. This would require getting Umi, the first party member you find, as the second character as he is very fond of her and might not take kindly to being separated from her.

That's okay, I disagree with myself all the time. So, this undefined dangerous mission, if one of the parameters is being a newbie and defeat all but guaranteed, Laura & Miranda would be viable choices, because as you said, "Is there a better way to go?". The answer to that is no, there is not. I'll just have to lug around my own burdens.

I would choose Agent 47 of the Hitman franchise for getting in, out, and making it look like an accident. The only reason why I wouldn't choose him is if there had to be no witnesses, or I was liable to mess things up for him.

The other operative I'd have would probably be someone who could clean things up if they went South, so I'd suggest Jackie Estacado of The Darkness. Given how easy the game was on the hardest difficulty with New Game+ talent trees maxed out (and I'm someone who really sucks at anything above Normal), I'd say he has a fine chance with his tentacles and darkling. Provided his schedule's freed up after the second game's ending.

May 16, 2021
Visit site
Sonic - Must have childhood hero lol. If there's any missions with killing a lot of metal things in an allotted amount of time, he's really good at that.

Link from Breath of the Wild - He can stop time. If you need strength, you just need to stop time and slap the thing multiple times. He can cook. He can solve puzzles. He can eat food and regain health instantly.

TRENDING THREADS