Feb 24, 2021
Visit site
How will nerd culture or geek culture look like if these nerdy hobbies listed below never existed? Would there still even be a nerd culture? Would the stereotypical nerds or geeks even exist?

These are the list of nerdy entertainment hobbies I am talking about:

1. Video games
2. Comics
3. Cartoons
4. Fantasy genre
5. Science Fiction genre
6. Superhero genre
7. Horror genre
8. Martial Arts genre
9. Pre modern pre gun powder warfare genre

Now I am wondering if the non existence of these listed nerdy hobbies would contribute to young toddlers who have the potential to be stereotypical nerds in becoming more social, strong willed, manly, outgoing, into physical sports, parties, and sex. Would the non existence of these listed nerdy hobbies contribute to rapid decreasing of social awkwardness, timidness, introversion, and lack of awareness of one's personal appearance to the public?

What do you think?

You can be a nerd about pretty much anything, like bugs for example.

And I don't think being a nerd has anything to do with how manly, strong willed, into physical activities or sex you are, though most (/all, depending on definition) do lack social skills, which probably also affects how outgoing and into parties they are.

All in all, I don't think the activities existing causes more nerds to exist. I think people are nerds before they get involved with those activities.

Feb 24, 2021
Visit site

I think I rarely see a socially awkward timid loner person obsessed about sports, cars, dogs, food, fashion, music, hiking, or travelling.

From my personal experience and observation, most of the socially awkward timid loners I saw are obsessed about video games, comics, anime, fantasy, science fiction, science, mathematics, engineering, technology, astronomy, physics, chemistry, computer programming, chess, history, biology, mythology, folklore, superheroes, or various combinations of these.

Reactions: Game354
It really isnt that simple. People are a mix of different things and you cant pigeon hole everyone as a nerd because they like Sci Fi or RPG's or read comics.

I have an old friend who is 6'8 and a lawyer in Australia, he moved there from the U.K where he used to play a decent level of american football. He also goes LARPing as a barbarian warrior.

We have a landscape construction worker in his 40's working for us who was a plumber for many years on building sites. He's really into super hero comics.

I have another pair of friends at the executive level who are massively into horror films.

I can go on.

What? How can someone be a nerd without a hobby? Nerds are typically obsessed about a particular hobby which what makes them nerdy.

They already have an obsessive personality before they find a subject to obsess over. And they will find one.

I think I rarely see a socially awkward timid loner person obsessed about sports, cars, dogs, food, fashion, music, hiking, or travelling.

From my personal experience and observation, most of the socially awkward timid loners I saw are obsessed about video games, comics, anime, fantasy, science fiction, science, mathematics, engineering, technology, astronomy, physics, chemistry, computer programming, chess, history, biology, mythology, folklore, superheroes, or various combinations of these.

Sports nerds are everywhere. Who do you think play fantasy football? I personally have a friend who was so into soccer that he could tell you the shoe colour of any player in a major soccer team.

There's nerds for pretty much anything you can obsess over. If you haven't seen them, it just means you haven't spend enough time in those communities.

Also, nerds don't have to be timid loners or socially awkward. It's just more noticeable someone is obsessed about something if they lack the social skills to not bring up their obsession in every conversation they have.

Feb 24, 2021
Visit site
Sports nerds are everywhere. Who do you think play fantasy football? I personally have a friend who was so into soccer that he could tell you the shoe colour of any player in a major soccer team.

Fantasy Football fans often get called as nerds but is that who they really are? Your definition of nerd just seems to be about obsession.

Seriously, how can someone be obsessive without something to obsess over? Where is their obsession coming from?

Speaking of Fantasy Football, is that really the only type of hobby you can think of in order to support your claim that nerds can be pretty nerdy over any thing? What about Real Sports nerds as opposed to Fantasy Sports? What about Real Sports nerds which are socially awkward introverts who forsake their social skills and other skills so that they can have more time in training hard in their specific sports? How about car nerds which are socially awkward loners who forsake their social life in favor of buying beautiful cars, designing cars, and racing? How about gun nerds which are socially awkward loners who forsake their social skills in favor of collecting guns, designing guns, and spending most of their time honing their marksmanship? How about exploration nerds who forsake their social skills and spend most of their time exploring mysterious places?

These examples I gave above are kinda like Mathematical Science nerds in that like the examples I gave above, Mathematical Science nerds are socially awkward loners who just doesn't fan over Mathematics and Science but are also highly trained geniuses in mathematical problem solving and Scientific logic. And yes, it is obvious that Mathematical Science nerds exists and are one of the most popular types of nerds to exist.

Your definition of nerd just means somebody who is passionate about a particular hobby or field and you just said that they don't have to be socially awkward or timid loners in order to qualify as nerds. By your definition, almost everyone who is legendary in their specific profession is a nerd. By your definition, people such as Michael Jordan, Albert Einstein, Nikola Tesla, Voltaire, Socrates, Stephen Hawking, Muhammad Ali, Michael Jackson, Sergeant Carlos Hathcock, Gordon Ramsay, Anderson Silva, Usain Bolt, Alexander the Great, Miyamoto Musashi, Audie Murphy, Yip Man, and David Michael Canterbury are all nerds. Don't get me wrong but most people who are great, exceptional, and legendary at their specific profession are typically obssessed and passionate about their specific profession and that passionate obsession is what pushes them to be great at their specific profession.

Seriously, what do you mean?

Reactions: Teguuh17
Definition of "nerd" from the Wiki:

Nerd
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to navigationJump to search
For other uses, see Nerd (disambiguation).
A nerd is a person seen as overly intellectual, obsessive, introverted or lacking social skills. Such a person may spend inordinate amounts of time on unpopular, little known, or non-mainstream activities, which are generally either highly technical, abstract, or relating to topics of science fiction or fantasy, to the exclusion of more mainstream activities.[1][2][3] Additionally, many so-called nerds are described as being shy, quirky, pedantic, and unattractive.[4]
Originally derogatory, the term "nerd" was a stereotype, but as with other pejoratives, it has been reclaimed and redefined by some as a term of pride and group identity. However, the augmentative terms, geek and dork, have not experienced a similar positive drift in meaning and usage.[5][needs update]

What you're basically trying to do is stereotype people who are involved in those "categories" that you list. Definition of "stereotype" from the Wiki (key here is "mistaken idea or belief"):

A stereotype is a mistaken idea or belief many people have about a thing or group that is based upon how they look on the outside, which may be untrue or only partly true.[2] Stereotyping people is a type of prejudice because what is on the outside is a small part of who a person is. Like other untrue opinions, stereotypes might be used as reasons to discriminate against another person, or sometimes for a humorous effect in fiction.
The term was invented in the late 18th century for a method of printing.[3] In the mid-19th century it meant the faithful reproduction of everything which could be printed, whether words or pictures. It made the printing of cheap editions possible, and was used in printing newspapers. The term got its psychological meaning in the 20th century.

Now I am wondering if the non existence of these listed nerdy hobbies would contribute to young toddlers who have the potential to be stereotypical nerds in becoming more social, strong willed, manly, outgoing, into physical sports, parties, and sex.

By this statement, by including the adjective "manly", you are excluding all females, which in itself becomes a sexist statement. I have several female friends who are avid gamers, who would be quite offended by your supposition.

I've been an avid gamer since pc games first appeared. I was also into comics as a child. I loved, and still love, a good horror movie or book. I also read many fantasy and science fiction/fantasy novels, as well as watch movies in that genre. I also played sports in high school and college. I jog and lift weights, even at 66 years of age. I've dated and lived with several women, had sex, "partied", was a bartender for many years in my youth, where social interaction is part of the job.

I'm sure many people, male and female, have similar life experiences, and just don't fit into your definition.

How will nerd culture or geek culture look like if these nerdy hobbies listed below never existed?
Depending on what era of humanity you want:

Cave painting
Playing with fire
Wheel smoothening
Composing for the mammoth tusk
Flint knapping
Herb collecting
Bone work
Jewelry making
Martial arts
Pottering about
Metalwork
Archery
etc etc

Exactly, the definition listed above is exactly what your talking about here. I find myself to be a huge nerd in non ''geek'' culture related stuff. I consider myself to be a nerd when it comes to cultivation of marjiuana, to some people i might just be a "stoner" or someone who likes to get "high'' but theres a lot more to that that im sure a lot of people dont understand.

The term 'nerd' is a general term that can be applied to anyone, so to answer the OPs question. YES the term nerd would definitely exist outside of those cultures you listed, for sure. I can almost guarantee you that the term was around even before any of those aspects of culture started.

TRENDING THREADS