I love to play PC games!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 24, 2023
Visit site
I love to play PC games! It's my favorite pastime and a great way to unwind after a long day. But with so many options out there, it can be hard to decide which game is better. In this thread, I'll share my thoughts on some popular PC games and help you make an informed decision. Let's dive in!

I love to play PC games! It's my favorite pastime and a great way to unwind after a long day. But with so many options out there, it can be hard to decide which game is better. In this thread, I'll share my thoughts on some popular PC games and help you make an informed decision. Let's dive in!
curious way to start, when are you going to share these thoughts?

It seems the maximum who can share their thoughts is us))

It's like any corporation, they present an idea, but have everyone else do the work for them! :ROFLMAO:

---SPOILERS AHEAD---

OK, I'll play along. I've been enjoying The Callisto Protocol more lately. I beat it on Normal at Med Security first play through. In my Normal at Max Security playthrough the next run, I started realizing what some were saying is true, that it's best to limit yourself to just two guns. On that playthrough I stuck with just the Hand Canon and Riot Gun (shotgun). The first playthrough I didn't realize I missed a lot of shelves behind glass cases you can break that usually have credits and/or health on them, and also little red/blue containers you can break open which have various loot. That meant my 2nd run I was able to fairly quickly get both guns to max upgrades.

I did the same with the story DLC Final Transmission, which picks up where the base game leaves off, but is a bit harder, especially the final boss fight. The main difference between the base game and DLC final bosses is the first one has a lot of health and explosive bottles in the area you can utilize, and it's more ranged than melee. The DLC boss is better to fight up close with melee, as if you try to distance yourself, especially during the 2nd halve of the fight, it will run at you and do a massive two arm slam on the ground that does tons of damage if you're anywhere near it in the 180 degree area in front of it.

The way to ace this boss is a single dodge, since thankfully it doesn't do combos, then swing your Kinetic Hammer at it a couple times and shoot your Riot Gun Alt (explosive round) fire when it's worn down (reticule appears on it). The trick to avoid or at least minimize damage of the slam is to be ready at any moment to run laterally then around behind it if you can, as soon as you see it start raising both arms. The ideal is to be able to get behind it and get in a few hammer swings.

About 3-4 times during the fight, as you wear it down it will split it's body wider with two halves of it's head separated, one looking like a monster, the other looking like Dr Mahler transformed. In this phase it can teleport from place to place, and it heaves very damaging fire balls from it's chest. This is the only phase of the fight where you need to run like hell and get distance. There's a big round structure in the center of the room to take cover behind, but in this phase it can be hard to see where the monster is, or the explosive bottles, blue edged saw blades (both in the outer edge of the area), and a heavy engine part to toss at it, which IMO is the preferred strat here.

I am now playing the base game on Hardcore mode. In this mode enemies are more aggressive, and take more damage. You also get WAY less credits, ammo, and health dropping. Enemies will frequently block or grab you during melee. I have learned a trick that helps a lot with Big Mouths, the ones that spit a ball of acid at you. A couple shots at the same shin will break one of their legs and cause them to crawl at you, at which point you can safely do a heavy melee strike to kill them. I'm doing OK so far, I managed to survive the three Rushers with melee and just 6 pistol rounds, then survived the flood in the tunnel after with minimal damage, and even got through the room with spinning machine parts and waves of enemies without using any GRP.

That said, what I've faced so far is nothing compared to the boss fights with the Two Heads to come. I'm even finding the Grunts that sprout tentacles are harder to take out with one shot. This is because they transform a bit quicker, which often doesn't leave time to step back and aim precisely at the tentacles. My main concern though is that I might not have enough upgrades on weapons, GRP, and Baton for later in the game. I have skipped a lot of optional areas, which combined with the minimal drops, makes it slim pickings. I have also learned via a video I saw that the Security bots can be shot 4 times in the head to kill them, which drops a decoder worth 250 credits on Hardcore. This should only be done where there's just one Security bot, and I gambled my pistol rounds were more valuable. I keep thinking I made a mistake there.

I went into this Hardcore run thinking it would be a practice/training playthrough to see what it would take to beat it on that mode though, as learning new tips and tricks, and what you can and can't do as far as game design and your skill level, is info that helps your efficiency at playing it.

If anyone here decides to get this game on Steam, I HIGHLY recommend you manually save the game before ending each session. That's because this game will often not show the Continue option the next time you come back to play it, or put you back at your last manual save point if it does. If you're lucky, like I was with the penultimate battle on my Normal at Max Security run on Final Transmission, it will somehow fix itself within a couple days and take you back to where you last left off. The first time I had a problem was the first run of the base game on Normal at Med Security. I searched for a fix and players on Steam were saying to start a new game, then as soon as you can, load the save game list, and the last auto save from the prior run should then show (which it did). I had worked so hard to get to the point that I was on Normal at Max Security in Final Transmission though that I did not want to risk the game overwriting my prior save when starting a new game.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Brian Boru
OK, I've pretty much beaten The Callisto Protocol now on the hardest mode for the base game and Final Transmission DLC. Unfortunately they didn't offer a Hardcore mode for Final Transmission.

At first I thought the DLC was harder than the base game. The base game however has FOUR battles with the Two Head monster, one of which comes at the end of a battle on a mining tram to the Arcas colony. The first phase of this battle you are fighting waves of enemies climbing onto the cart, one of it's 4 sides at a time. They have already sprouted tentacles too as you first see them, so if you can't quickly grab and toss them off the tram with GRP, they will surely fully mutate on Hardcore.

I had to go back to a prior save point midway through the base game though when it refused to save my latest checkpoint progress, but that actually helped me get some loot I missed. I still limited myself to no GRP or Baton upgrades though, which caused me to have to shoot my way through the 2nd half of that first phase on the tram with just mag pistol rounds.

Well before the final boss fight I had both Hand Canon and Riot Gun fully upgraded, and enough credits from loot to get plenty of ammo for it. There was one high end valuable stuck in a crate before getting to the tram battle though that could have paid for a couple GRP upgrades if I'd been able to pick it up. I survived the tram with close shotty headshots to Two Head, it's a rush, but scary. The best way to get accurate headshots on him is to shoot point blank, then dodge his one massive melee. That melee is so powerful though it makes you stumble a bit even when you dodge it.

I've been thinking of making a Hardcore walkthrough for the base game, but it has some really annoying problems with inconsistent checkpoint reloading. At times, like before the tram ride, you can use it to your advantage by reloading the save until the ammo crates on the tram have what you want. More often than not though it's a PITA because it will often not even load certain loot, which caused me to numerous times have to quit to main menu, then the checkpoint would load the loot.

It can also be very inconsistent with enemy hit boxes and HP. Even in the end segments of the game when it seems to be throwing enemies at you that take two tentacle shots to go down, some even with two direct tentacle shots will mutate, and some, a rare 2 or 3, will go down with just one tentacle shot. So it would be a very checkpoint to checkpoint capture method. I'd also definitely have to manually save at the end of each session, or could have to do some major replaying.

The one thing I'm not 100% sure on is whether the explosive round upgrade on the Riot Gun is totally necessary. As others have said and shown, it's really only useful for the final boss fight. I used it mainly after taking his face shield down, as two explosive rounds straight on his unshielded face do massive damage. It's also a fight, unlike the lone boss you fight at the end of the DLC, which has Exploders crawling toward you. They also do a fair bit of damage if they explode near you.

Right now I'm close to being burned out on the game though, so I will probably play something else for a while. I'm kind of stuck on the final fight with Dagan Gera in Jedi Survivor though. It's not an easy one to get through for me.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Oct 4, 2023
Visit site
I do also love that. PC gaming is my favorite timespending. I can do it hours and hours but now mostly play online games like Genshin or mahjongfree.org. When I am too bored I just enjoy old but gold games like Tomb Raider or Prince of Persia

Last edited:
Reactions: Zloth
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts