I just can't switch to PC gaming with these burning questions...

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Dec 23, 2022
Visit site
To you first question, that depends, lets make an assumptions:
you build an 'enthusiast' level PC about a '7' on a 1-10 scale.

One should get about 5 years no questions.

One can usually squeeze 2.5-5 years out. Mostly this depends on your willingness to lower graphics/resolutions.

Typically what happens is that your equipment doesnt expire like vegetables in the refrigerator, rather new feature sets are introduced that your hardware is not capable of. This is not just progress, this is by design, planned obsolescence, you have to pay to play. Bear this in mind in your PC investment.

To your second question. One can update parts anytime, but I have found that if a build is carefully selected, there is little need.

To you third question, and this is very important everyone should heed. There is no better when it comes to Intel/AMD Nvidia/AMD. Each manufacturer has its ups, and its downs, good and bad. In our minds, we think manufacturers are trying to make the best hardware they can. In reality, manufacturers have a completely different agenda.

For example, Intel may introduce a budget line processor to undercut an inexpensive and well peeforming AMD processor because they will have quarterly earnings report coming out soon and they need to boost stock prices to appease shareholders. Or, 'that flagship card didnt sell, we have tons of overages of these GPU chips! Zap half the CUDA cores, and put the high quality chips on budget boards, and move them out!'

There is alot of behind the scenes reasons manufacturers do things. They dont care how well it performs, only that its new and exciting, and there is buzz are the launch. Or that the 18 million dollars worth of GPU chips are not wasting away in some wharehouse.

These are just examples, but IMHO historically, Intel does have some of the worst anti-consumer behavior. They also make a great product, personally I have used them exclusivly for about 25 years. Be careful which model you choose, and be prepared to pay. AMD have been around as long as Intel, and made the first CPU to introduce the x86-64 extensions. I have read many good things about them, that said, I have no recent experience with them, but I would not hesitate to buy one either.

Sorry about that long winded explantion, but as you can see its a bit more complicated than one might think.

Here is the takeaway, do alot of reading about the specific hardware you intend to buy. Wiki has great pages with tables that allow comparisons. Do searches that include stuff like 'Nvidia xxxx error' 'AMD xxxx firmware bug' 'Intel xxxx problem' about the specific hardware you intend to purchase. Look at the problems other people are having, and determine if thats a dealbreaker.

Also its recommended to look at raw and real world performance from the hardware you choose. I typically take about 30 hours to narrow in on a build, then I give it a month. Let it marinate, dont think about it, then, I come back fresh, and review it. Are my feelings the same?

Televisions are grabbage (spelling intended) *sigh* I dont watch television, but I own several. However with background in electronics and mechanics, I can look at hardware specs and tell you that what has been done with most of the budget line 4k televisions is, to use a technical term, a bunch of hokey-pokey. It boils down to the way things are done differently in televisions vs. computer monitors. If you want/need high quality out of a large television go drop 4-5 grand on a Sony. Outside of that the quality is acceptable in large TVs. Nothing more.

The trade off is sitting at your desk, or on a couch/recliner. Can you live with the fact that things are not quite as nice on a $300 TV, but your real comfy :)

Disclaimer: I dont repair televisions anymore. I own half a dozen mostly budget line, and much of my experience in the last 10 years is casual, from technical sheets, or even from walking through the electronics dept. I encourage you to do your own research.

The off-topic discussion has been moved to its own thread:

The off-topic discussion has been moved to its own thread:

Thank you for doing that. I know it was a lot of work.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts