How will AI games/game industry look 10 years from now?

With the insanely rapid advance in AI technology, I think we'll see some rather sophisticated MMOs where virtual reality will be taking more place. Perhaps not quite Ready Player One, but I feel we are going to be getting really, really close! The AI combat will be excellent, to the point of having your own personalized AI enemies that can help you with acting out different combat strategies or adjusting them so they move in different ways suited to your playstyle. It will be like a personalized AimLab with AI enemies that you have full control over in everything from height, movement, weapons, damage, obstacles, etc.

You'll be able to make your own games much easier, to the point of you telling the AI game generator what type of game you would like to make. You'll be able to get a basic shell ready for animation and whatnot and the AI will be able to code for you on the go. There will be a new game category for this and Steam will be the first platform to invite players to use their own game-making AI.

AAA studios will be able to make photorealistic games and because of this, there will be a storm of discussions about censoring when it comes to mature elements in the games. Some countries will ban these photorealistic games. The adult game industry will grow exponentially and new treatments for addiction will grow with it, so big business for both.

Educational games will expand and schools will use AI games more for learning. and there will be more AI assistance programs for people with different learning disabilities.

Advanced computer viruses will evolve rapidly to the point that they will be able to hide in a new game release and grow more sinister as it becomes sentient. Cybersecurity will grow with this problem and there will be sentient "good" AI combating sentient "bad" AI.

What say thee?

Last edited:
What say thee?
Bejapers…

First off, did you get an AI to write that for you?

All makes sense, all I'll add is the tech will spread everywhere, it won't be games-centric. Epic and Unity already have their engines in a bunch of serious industries, that has established the credibility of digital and virtual for a lot of people.

Education is a big hope, and gamification in general has expanded and seems to be evolving beyond simple reward systems into more of an integral part of activity—ie activity designed with gaming principles in mind.

I wouldn't worry about the adult side, that's already covered with books, movies, TV—so it shouldn't be difficult to use their principles. The internet is already in the game too.

Making our own games should indeed get much easier, as it has already done for decades.

Hi Frindis i also wonder what the future will hold for gaming.

in 1982 zx spectrums and other machines started off with very basic 2d games and by the time the processors had been pushed to their limit we had a sort of 3d type games so i guess in those few years you could argue that a lot of progress had been made.

I never had and consoles because i have a finger locking problem and could now use the controllers because the buttons and little sticks were too much of a challenge.

I can remember when pc games had close ups of the characters talking and they were so primitive that only the jaw moved and when it did you could see the polygons inside the heads ..... i first spotted this on dragons age. Then look where were at now .... full facial mapping and i sometimes have to pinch myself that its a game and not a real person i am looking at .... or is it lol.

With regards to security .... i got my first pc in 2003 and whilst their were threats around it was not very often that something bad happened. Todays internet is a minefield and i would hate to think i was buying my first pc today with no idea what to do after i turned it on.

The adult game industry will grow exponentially
That made my face tired. But what I really expect will happen will be a system of AI's that you can purchase that will create your own custom adult material designed just to address your own personal kinks. Toss in some VR and a haptic jumpsuit and it will mark the end of civilization and probably humanity as a whole. Woah, now my face has all sorts of energy!

Eventually there will be no need for game developers. Instead of buying games, you buy the system that creates them on the fly for you. Not sure how they will charge for that. But even through there will be no need for developers, there will surely be some trying to compete against AI. The last holdouts will eventually give in, go home and start making custom adult material...

Not sure how they will charge for that.

I hope by then we'll be in a post-scarcity era without money. If an AI can make an entire game with just a prompt that's as good as a handcrafted game, it can probably also take over most of the other tasks humans currently perform, at least the digital ones, and crank out technological advancements that greatly increase the efficiency of any other tasks to the point that most people do not have to work any more.

We need to be very careful though or we might permanently end up with something like Nora:
yuir4T0.jpg

AI will replace a lot of coders and graphics designers with much more auto generated. But there might be more game designers.
We have already seen UE5 used to make photo realistic demos so I think that is a given.
We won't own games anymore and there will be more different Subscriptions like Game Pass.
Desktop PC's might start to disappear as there is less demand and need for them. Instead we will rent cloud versions and just use a controller/stick plugged into the TV. E.g. like Google Stadia but just for hardware .
So you subscribe to one or more "Games" subscriptions but that can be played through the same "Device" subscription.

My feeling, which I've talked about a bit in other threads, is that these AI programs will affect single player games the most, making them so interactive and reactive with intelligent AIs, that they'll become more interesting and immersive than any multiplayer or online service games. NPCs, companions, enemies, monsters, and animals will all have individual base AIs that learn, grow, and evolve according to the player's conversations, choices, and actions. No "playthrough" of a game will ever be the same.

I don't think it will mean less jobs in the gaming industry, but I do think that there will be a gradual change in the requirements for each position. And something will need to be done (soon) about voice acting. For example, if I want to use Jennifer Hale's voice for a character, I'd hire her to record a certain amount of dialogue, which an AI program would learn from, creating the various responses in the game, eliminating the need for a voice actor to create every single line of dialogue for a character, while also eliminating "canned" responses.

But we should, at least in theory, be able to work hand in hand with the Voice Actors Guild and it's members and pay them accordingly. Jobs don't need to be eliminated by these AI programs, but a restructuring of job requirements will be necessary, as well as defining copyright laws in regards to gaming.

Desktop PC's might start to disappear as there is less demand and need for them. Instead we will rent cloud versions and just use a controller/stick plugged into the TV. E.g. like Google Stadia but just for hardware . So you subscribe to one or more "Games" subscriptions but that can be played through the same "Device" subscription.
The large desktops will definitely be removed. Takes up space, costs a lot and is not environmentally friendly. In replacement of the large desktops, I think we'll see more and more flat surface workstations, the ones you can integrate into your desk. For gaming, I think you are spot on in mentioning cloud usage.

For example, if I want to use Jennifer Hale's voice for a character, I'd hire her to record a certain amount of dialogue, which an AI program would learn from, creating the various responses in the game, eliminating the need for a voice actor to create every single line of dialogue for a character, while also eliminating "canned" responses.
That would have been brilliant!

Nov 1, 2023
Visit site
My only hope is that the integration of AI in the development process doesn't make companies lazy and lacking in quality (something that I notice is becoming an issue even today).
Although if they are smart in the way they use it, developers will be able to delegate minor tasks and focus more on the important parts of the project and still have a reasonable time to polish it up. However, if overused it can easily become a problem. Just as people previously mentioned, it could lead to a lack in creativity and innovation, as AI is pretty limited when it comes to "coming up with new ideas or concepts" since it relies on previously learned data.

TRENDING THREADS