How to Identify Mini GPU's + Are they any Good?

Hello

This might sound obvious but it doesn't always seem to be?

My understanding is there is ITX and mini-ITX... they're the only names for mini size video cards or cases aren't they?

Don't most Full size GPU's have 3 x fans?
Can you usually assume 1-2 fans only means Mini?

Take this card for example... is this full size or mini?
I know the Aero is a mini and this looks a lot like that?

Please give me other examples of confusing types so I won't be quite as puzzled.

Is the PCI connection the same length on minis?

As an aside (eg not the main focus)....

I've read that mini cards are 'usually(?)' the same or very similar specs/grunt/power to their Full size brothers... but is this true?
I've also heard they are often much louder and hotter and have less ability to overclock. Anything I'm missing or is that all about it?

I would also assume they'd have a shorter life span since they would likely run hotter more often or at least be more likely to have wonky or failed fans sooner?

Would you get a mini card if it was the best bang for buck on the market right now for your budget?

Thank you for your help

My understanding is there is ITX and mini-ITX... they're the only names for mini size video cards or cases aren't they?
MITX = Mini ITX, sometimes people just say ITX for short, same thing. Its a case form factor, so ITX motherboards and graphics cards are designed with that size in mind.

Don't most Full size GPU's have 3 x fans?
Can you usually assume 1-2 fans only means Mini?

No, some full size cards have 2 fans, I think most ITX cards are single fan solutions.

Heres the MSI ITX card
Is the PCI connection the same length on minis?

Yes

As an aside (eg not the main focus)....

I've read that mini cards are 'usually(?)' the same or very similar specs/grunt/power to their Full size brothers... but is this true?
I've also heard they are often much louder and hotter and have less ability to overclock. Anything I'm missing or is that all about it?

I would also assume they'd have a shorter life span since they would likely run hotter more often or at least be more likely to have wonky or failed fans sooner?

Would you get a mini card if it was the best bang for buck on the market right now for your budget?

Mini cards have a lower power limit to save on heat due to their size. You wouldn't buy a mini if you wanted to overclock. Because of the way graphics cards set their own clockspeed depending on the situation these days based on a a few factors, a mini card might run a little slower than a full size card.

I'd probably avoid a mini card if I wasnt building in an ITX case, but it wouldnt be awful if it was the only thing available.

Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS