Question How to Fix Black Screen when Gaming?

Feb 7, 2021
Visit site
Hello, today i want to know how to not get a black screen when gaming. Everytime I run a game on my computer after 5-15 minutes my computer shows a black screen but the PC is still running! And I have to power it off. When im not gaming i don't get a black screen. No, its not a virus cuz i even had it when i still had windows 8.1 as my OS. I upgraded to windows 10 and still get it. I think I have a problem with my cooler.

MaddMann

A nerd that found his place
Community Contributor
Jan 17, 2020
Visit site
Can you give us a little more detail on the specs of your computer? It will help us understand where the possible issues might be. The easiest way to do this if you are not sure just off hand is to run dxdiag.

This tool is used to collect info about devices to help troubleshoot problems with DirectX sound and video. A support person might ask for this info, or you might post it in a forum when you ask for help.

In Windows, select Start and enter dxdiag into the search box on the taskbar. Select dxdiag from the results.

This can help us sort through what your system has so we can help diagnose the issue.

What is your graphics card?

I don't know really.
Press Windows key
Type Sy
Click on System Information app in pop-up
Click the + beside 'Components'
Click on 'Display'

There may be 1 or 2 entries there. The first is probably 'Intel HD graphics'.

If there's a second entry—about 20 lines down the screen—that's your graphics card.
Write down and post here the values for:
Name
Adapter Type

Feb 7, 2021
Visit site
Press Windows key
Type Sy
Click on System Information app in pop-up
Click the + beside 'Components'
Click on 'Display'

There may be 1 or 2 entries there. The first is probably 'Intel HD graphics'.

If there's a second entry—about 20 lines down the screen—that's your graphics card.
Write down and post here the values for:
Name
Adapter Type
I typed Sy and no System Information because I can't find it. Whenever I click to view my specs it takes me to the settings. I can't even view my specs from Control Panel.

Feb 7, 2021
Visit site
Well it makes sense because I bought this computer in 2013 or 2012. I'm pretty sure if I reinstall my drivers or take out the graphics card and clean it would probably fix the problem. If not i'll buy a new graphics card.
Also I should point out that the problem occurred in 2019 When my brother left the computer on without turning it off And When I tried to turn off the computer I couldnt so I turned it off by unplugging it and that's how the problem occurred.

Reactions: Fredisiswanto
how a graphics card can just stop running the games
The more going on visually in a game, the heavier the load on the graphics card. After starting a game the load is usually light for a while—menus, gearing up, safe house etc—and then increases when you start interacting with a changing environment.
I turned it off by unplugging it and that's how the problem occurred
It's a longshot but maybe some Windows files, which only affect certain games, got corrupted then. Sometime when you don't need the PC for an hour, run SFC /Scannow per instructions here:

gta vc and san andreas work. That's the only games i know that work
Check the recommended specs for your other games. If they're newer than those GTA ones, then your PC probably only meets minimum specs, which is never comfortable.

May 28, 2021
Visit site
you can try these steps
  1. On your computer press the Win+I hotkeys.
  2. This will bring System Settings on your PC.
  3. From there click on Update & Security.
  4. Under Windows Update, click Check for Updates.
  5. Apply the available updates and restart your computer.
  6. Try to play your games now and verify if the black screen problem persists or not

Reactions: Ronaldi
Feb 7, 2021
Visit site
The more going on visually in a game, the heavier the load on the graphics card. After starting a game the load is usually light for a while—menus, gearing up, safe house etc—and then increases when you start interacting with a changing environment.

It's a longshot but maybe some Windows files, which only affect certain games, got corrupted then. Sometime when you don't need the PC for an hour, run SFC /Scannow per instructions here:

Check the recommended specs for your other games. If they're newer than those GTA ones, then your PC probably only meets minimum specs, which is never comfortable.
I ran SFC/ scannow and whenever I open up the Command Prompt while its scanning it doesn't show anything other than the Command Prompt background. I don't know if this is supposed to happen or I'm just not supposed to be on the PC while it's scanning.

Feb 7, 2021
Visit site
I ran SFC/ scannow and whenever I open up the Command Prompt while its scanning it doesn't show anything other than the Command Prompt background. I don't know if this is supposed to happen or I'm just not supposed to be on the PC while it's scanning.
Ok so I think it finished (or it didn't even work) but now im seeing C:\Windows\System32> again, idk if it's supposed to say scan completed or not.

Reactions: Ronaldi

TRENDING THREADS