PCG Article How often do you use Discord? (with PCG article)

I used to loathe Discord. I'm a little more agreeable now, but I still roll my eyes when a developer or modder tells you to follow their news and updates on Discord. I think if 90 percent of your customers are on Steam that you had better put your patch notes there, but maybe that's just me.

The most I used it was when I was running a guild and planning raids (and other stuff) on World's Adrift. My server, as a matter of fact, is still called "Queen Anne's Revenge". But after World's Adrift closed, I basically stopped using it for awhile. Now my daughter lives in Nashville, and we use it occasionally. We used it the other day when we played Ghost Exile, for instance.

Some people just use it as a hang out. They play music, etc. It's like a metaverse for the blind.

Anyway, how much, if any, do you use it? General thoughts on it?

Please stop making Discord servers for things that shouldn't be Discord servers (PCG article)

I use discord pretty extensively, and it's pretty much the primary way I keep in contact with my friends and this point. My best friend is going to graduate school far away and discord allows us to chat frequently (aside from texting, of course). But aside from personal use, I don't really join specific communities, whether it be for games, particular content creators, etc. Despite them being pretty niche these days, I've always preferred forums for discussion about a specific shared interest (like this forum).

I used to use it a little as kind of a replacement for an old forum that went down. Some of the people from the forum hung out on Discord. I also used it for a while when I was into crypto last year (thankfully I'm out of it now). In my opinion, Discord sucks, though.

Reactions: Pifanjr
I auto logon at startup so could say I am there a lot :)

I use it to keep in touch with a few people. Two of the websites I use have their own servers, here and um... Tom's. But I don't really talk on either of them, PCG discord has existed for longer than I been here so I am not really involved on it, and well, most questions on the Toms discord would be better asked on the forums.

Although you can create threads on Discord now, if feature enabled on server, for a long time it wasn't the best place to track a problem and give solutions. At least forums remembered without having to scroll up a few days.

It's like a metaverse for the blind.
i don't understand this point?

its blind as you meant to use it as voice chat in games that don't have feature. then you can at least share links, and gifs and videos.

Metaverse seems to have different meanings for different people. I am repelled by most of what I have seen so far, but people who don't know how good games can look now, are amazed by the visuals that look like the social aspect of Play station 3. If its for non gamers it might work. Which I think it is mainly.

i pretty much discord for various art communities. Some i joined because i bought some lessons and became part of the community, one i was invited to join and another was a legacy forum that migrated to as the old one was using legacy code and was being shut down.

Speaking of art, i am making some game based artwork, but don't expect anything yet.... unless you want me to upload updates on the picture every week...

I have to kinda agree with the recent comments on there. Come on, discord can be used for whatever people have a need for, and yes 1 of my discords has a meme channel because its a way to keep them separated from a chat thats about 1 topic only. I dont need to have convos buried under something that probably should have its own space.

With that being said, i run a discord for my Destiny 2 clan and i have one for my family. I do use discords for information as well. I dont use a lot of social media so discord is a place for me to get quick info on stuff im interested in, specifically and with no ads

but I still roll my eyes when a developer or modder tells you to follow their news and updates on Discord.
This, though I usually mutter some profanity as I'm rolling my eyes. I'm seeing this "follow me on Discord" now from quite a few modders that I follow on the Nexus. They no longer (or seldom) respond to questions/comments in the posts or bugs section, but only communicate through Discord. I understand in part why some modders have done that, because of all the inane, repetitious questions that are asked when the answers are in plain sight in the mod's description & instructions. But I still find it a pain to have to go there when I'm researching a mod(s).

So, yes, I do use Discord, but only rarely, and only for game related information. Also, I sometimes go to a game developers Discord channel, just to see if there's any new information on a specific game. I don't mind that quite as much. But I don't use it for anything else, at least at this point.

I only use it to have Comms with friends when playing games, even if it's different games we'll still sit and talk nonsense. Other than that it's purely for advice on games where I can ask questions in an interactive live format or find some like minded people to team up with Rainbow Six Siege.

I played play-by-post D&D on a Discord server for a bit, which worked better than any of the alternatives I've tried. I also have a Discord server which is just a chat room, with a bunch of people my wife befriended via a forum, which I'm fairly active on.

I've joined other servers, but most of them are too active, so I end up muting them and never checking them. I don't think Discord works well as an official way to share information with fans. I'd be annoyed if I had to join a Discord server just to get information that could have been put on a website.

I played play-by-post D&D on a Discord server for a bit, which worked better than any of the alternatives I've tried. I also have a Discord server which is just a chat room, with a bunch of people my wife befriended via a forum, which I'm fairly active on.

I've joined other servers, but most of them are too active, so I end up muting them and never checking them. I don't think Discord works well as an official way to share information with fans. I'd be annoyed if I had to join a Discord server just to get information that could have been put on a website.

But mostly people do videos for information and I need something quiet to read while pooping.

i know someone who is in over 600 Discord servers. I am in 4, and 3 of those are pretty much dead all day. The 4th is PCG and I rarely look in it. I prefer chat you can keep track of and not get buried in. Too many people is just impossible to track.
I got a random invite yesterday but my auto reaction is to reject. I used to use IRC and remember when Rick Rolls were a new things and everyone showed them. So not clicking links became normal for me. At least you can't do that on Discord now as the client will show video image - I don't think you can link a hyperlink to a word in it. Would still show as a link.

Apr 29, 2022
Visit site
I mainly use discord to keep in contact and to game with some friends. I also joined a couple of PCG servers, but the notifications are so much I muted most of them... I check them now and then.

I don't prefer to use discord to get information, I'd rather read it on Steam as well.

TRENDING THREADS