Question How far can you skimp on a motherboard?

Dec 2, 2020
Visit site
Basically this stems from wanting the fastest but ugliest gaming computer i can get for 850$ give or take 100$. I dont really care about frills like overclocking or LED's, with motherboards seeming like the worst offender in the "needless frills" category.

So my question is:
Is it possible to pair a kinda high quality RTX 5600x Ryzen CPU (~300$)and a kinda high quality RX 5600 XT graphics card (~300$) with an entry level motherboard like a MSI MAG 550 mortar or an ASRock A 520M ITX/ac? (both ~100$)

I just intend to put in 1 2TB SSD and 2 16GB 3200Mhz ram sticks so this seems like all the motherboard i need.

Links to each product

Dec 2, 2020
Visit site
You'll be fine, those are good boards with decent power delivery and the 5600x is a very efficient chip. The only issues are whether you have enough expansion space or good enough sound quality for your uses.
okay, thank you! Just wanted to make sure the CPU/GPU wouldnt burn up the motherboard or be limited by it

And the expansion space shouldnt be a problem, from what i read anything over 32GB of RAM is overkill if youre just using it for gaming

No problem, its more if there are enough SATA/M2 slots for extra hard-drives or USB's for your peripherals in the future.

I bought a mid tier board last time around and its a bit annoying to have to switch out USB's when I need to plug in a webcam or external drive, when my old board was a more upper mid tier and had extras to spare. You can always buy a hub I guess.

Dec 17, 2020
Visit site
The mother board is the tricky one. There are some sites that will give "ideal" mobo suggestions for the CPU you got yourself. Thats what i did. Sure i ended up with the "lower grade" version, but it has the ports i need for nvme and can do VR if i want. and i saved about 100$. and i believe i can still load up 4 sata ssd if i want.

TRENDING THREADS