How can I improve my PC performance ? it seems like it's underperforming

Apr 10, 2023
Visit site
I have a RTX 4080 with a i7 13700k and it doesn't even achieve 144 fps 1080 ultra on all the games I play, and is kinda low for games with high fps such as valorant when it sometimes drop under 240

If this can help : https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/60678844

By the way i locked my CPU clock because it was getting too hot and too much loud while playing game with adaptive clock.

Watercooling : NZXT Kraken X53 240mm
Power supply : Be quiet! 1000W Pure Power 11 FM 80 + Gold
Motherboard : Prime Z690-P
Case : NZXT H7
Graphic card : RTX 4080 16GB Gaming Trio

Apr 10, 2023
Visit site
I mean, my temperatures are ok now
On Cyberpunk : CPU 65 C(63% usage) and GPU 55 C(69% usage)
It seems quite low of a usage doesn't it ?

For my CPU I tried on Intel Extreme Tuning Utility to put :
- Performance Ration : 38x
- Efficient Core Ratio : 44x

By the way i was 125 fps full ultra 1080p with lows to 80 fps, i don't have very consistent fps in games my lows are always quite low from the usual fps.

Also my drivers are up to date.

I was usually at 3.4 Ghz on my CPU, I tried to make it higher by putting it at 3.8 / 4.4 and when i start chrome or any little activity that needs a little bit of the CPU the temperature goes high pretty quick and I can hear my fans blowing for couple seconds, it's quite annoying, that's why I usually lower it

Apr 10, 2023
Visit site
i fixed my CPU clock because when i first started my PC it was already in adaptative mode so like overclock, going from 4 GhZ to 5.5
For today I tested to put it at 4.4 and it sometimes gone to 80C while just downloading a game and playing while the download was going.

Yes I should have go for a 360 i think but now it's too late

For my AIO I don't really know if it is exhaust or intake, I saw when i built my PC that the differences does not matter much but I'm down to try

Is there any ideas on how could i optimize my computer to have decent performance for the specs it already has ?

Software / Hardware, I think both are possible

For my AIO I don't really know if it is exhaust or intake, I saw when i built my PC that the differences does not matter much but I'm down to try
where in the case is the AIO?
Is it on front of PC or ontop?

Generally if the AIO is on top of the case, its in exhaust. Possible downside to top mounted AIO is you suck all the heat from the GPU into AIO and that can heat the CPU up as the liquid in the rad is used to cool CPU
If AIO is on front of case, its normally in intake and you don't get the problem with the liquid.

is it the air version of the case?

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2023
Visit site
where in the case is the AIO?
Is it on front of PC or ontop?

Generally if the AIO is on top of the case, its in exhaust. Possible downside to top mounted AIO is you suck all the heat from the GPU into AIO and that can heat the CPU up as the liquid in the rad is used to cool CPU
If AIO is on front of case, its normally in intake and you don't get the problem with the liquid.

is it the air version of the case?

My AIO is on the front and no it isn't the air version.

Obviously it's a new pc so it should be clean.

What kind of thermal paste did you use and was it properly applied?

I just find it weird it's acting like this and also feel bad for ya man. Sounds like a frustrating problem. Sorry you're dealing with this PC issue.

Is it this one?

or this one?

As one of those looks to have way better air flow than the other one. Sentence based on mistaken belief there wasn't a glass front panel on Elite. I was wrong. They about the same.

The H7 seems to only have 1 long vent along right hand side for air to get in? And a small vent at base of the front below the fans.
front of case adds 4c to temps, compared to the flow, and 1c more compared to the elite.

Seems both Elite and H7 are hot cases.

taking front of the case off lowers temps but increases dust.

So I don't know how well the AIO will be cooling on front. Radiator needs fresh air to cool pc. If its just recycling heat from case, its not helping

Are AIO fans in push or pull? If push, how much space do they have between radiator and front of case?
if pull, they trying to suck air through radiator and via a 90 degree turn for air to come into case.

solid case fronts not ideal for AIO or PC in general unless its got fans on the side like the Lian LI 011 range, or fans in the base like some others with rotated motherboard plans. For example
YNXmp5m.jpg

The Elite comes with 4 fans which is great but then puts 3 of them behind a glass front panel... why... fans aren't meant to be just moving pretty lights... regardless of what makers of this case thought

How many fans do you have in PC?
You could mount 2 x 140mm fans in roof and use them as exhaust, it might reduce temps. it would at least redirect the air coming out of 4080 away from the front of case, might help AIO as well. Since you on AIO it wouldn't matter that you had more exhaust fans than intake.

i have 3 x 140mm exhaust fans in my pc, keeps the room warm in winter. Keeps PC cool. Better heat be out of case than in it. 2 x 120mm on AIO to keep PC filled with more cool air.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Brian Boru
Apr 10, 2023
Visit site
Obviously it's a new pc so it should be clean.

What kind of thermal paste did you use and was it properly applied?

I just find it weird it's acting like this and also feel bad for ya man. Sounds like a frustrating problem. Sorry you're dealing with this PC issue.
Nah it's been a while since I got this PC now, like november 2022 but it just gave up with it and now I just wanted to see what can I do for it to work properly.

For the thermal paste I used one I bought in a marketplace nearby, the thermal paste is ARTIC MX-4.

Apr 10, 2023
Visit site
Is it this one?

or this one?

As one of those looks to have way better air flow than the other one. Sentence based on mistaken belief there wasn't a glass front panel on Elite. I was wrong. They about the same.

The H7 seems to only have 1 long vent along right hand side for air to get in? And a small vent at base of the front below the fans.
front of case adds 4c to temps, compared to the flow, and 1c more compared to the elite.

Seems both Elite and H7 are hot cases.

taking front of the case off lowers temps but increases dust.

So I don't know how well the AIO will be cooling on front. Radiator needs fresh air to cool pc. If its just recycling heat from case, its not helping

Are AIO fans in push or pull? If push, how much space do they have between radiator and front of case?
if pull, they trying to suck air through radiator and via a 90 degree turn for air to come into case.

solid case fronts not ideal for AIO or PC in general unless its got fans on the side like the Lian LI 011 range, or fans in the base like some others with rotated motherboard plans. For example
YNXmp5m.jpg

The Elite comes with 4 fans which is great but then puts 3 of them behind a glass front panel... why... fans aren't meant to be just moving pretty lights... regardless of what makers of this case thought

How many fans do you have in PC?
You could mount 2 x 140mm fans in roof and use them as exhaust, it might reduce temps. it would at least redirect the air coming out of 4080 away from the front of case, might help AIO as well. Since you on AIO it wouldn't matter that you had more exhaust fans than intake.

i have 3 x 140mm exhaust fans in my pc, keeps the room warm in winter. Keeps PC cool. Better heat be out of case than in it. 2 x 120mm on AIO to keep PC filled with more cool air.

It is the minimalist one

I've put in on the front because I have a really special setup where I need to put something on top of the case that covers everything so I can't put it on top for now

I don't know if they are push or pull but I know that on front the heat is coming out

As for the fans, I have on the front with the AIO and the default one at the back

So as I understand, the performance problems comes from the heat, is that right ?

It's so weird. Like it's clean, spaced out good, you used decent thermal paste.

Maybe somehow there's a compatibility issue between some of the parts?
Have ya tried reformatting and reinstalling?
Have ya tried looking up issues with any of the part on other forums or on google. Maybe someone else has ran into these issues using something you have in there. Just feel bad for ya this is going on.

Apr 10, 2023
Visit site
For the incompatibily, I used websites that does it for me and checked after it if all the parts were compatible
I started fresh with this PC and later I reformatted it and reinstalled everything

I did not find a lot of things about the pieces of the computer but I know that the AIO is not the greatest, that I don't run in 100% because it makes a weird noise if it's too high percentage, it seems like it's a known issue of this AIO

Also it seems like the new Intel generations are quite hot while using it

And yes I don't really know much about everything, I don't think the CPU is the only issue here ? I don't know, i'm quite lost finding the way to have the real performance of this beast

It's quite okay for what I'm doing with it actually but I know I could have a bit more with it and more consistency

I've put in on the front because I have a really special setup where I need to put something on top of the case that covers everything so I can't put it on top for now

That along with a closed front is not helpful. Blocking top off means heat only has 1 way to exit case... the back. I hope its not pushed into a gap or something. PC need to be able to breath, its why mine sits on its own pedestal of sorts
znJjVoA.jpg

I wouldn't suggest putting AIO on top but 2 exhaust fans there would have helped.
You would have been better off with the H7 Flow as then air would be getting into case through the front.
I don't know if they are push or pull but I know that on front the heat is coming out
your fan being behind the AIO means its in pull, like mine are. mine at least only have to pull air through mesh
ugZAOby.jpg

hLspz4Y.jpg

Meanwhile on yours, it means the fresh air its trying to pull through the radiator has to some how get there via either the side vent on the right or the small hole at base of the front. Its not ideal. The chances of getting a lot of fresh air through either are small. I don't know how much suction is on the front of the radiator after the fans suck air through the radiator. Its ability to suck air sideways leaves me concerned. I doubt much fresh air is getting in the front.

I guess it depends how fast you have your AIO fans running, but thats just extra noise. Faster they run the more suction power they have. if you post on Tom's, give me a link as I am there too.

Last edited:

Sorry I'm late on this. If the heat is coming out the front, that sounds to me like your fans are pulling the hot GPU exhaust from inside the case in and pushing it out the front of the case. Your picture above confirms this.

Turn the fans around so they are pulling air in from outside the case through the radiator blowing toward the GPU and see if that helps your CPU temps.

I didn't notice he had them in push. That isn't right.

I thought it was intake, it explains why I couldn't understand how it was getting any air in through the front, but if its blowing out... i see now.

Yes, turn fans around.

As it is, there is no source of fresh air in PC. With the air from GPU blowing through the Radiator and exiting out front, the CPU will fry. Only place it can get fresh air now is the back and I expect you didn't swap direction rear fan is blowing? So all 3 fans are exhaust.

The entire idea of having it on front is to use AIO as intake as its getting fresh air from outside and blowing it over GPU to cause air flow and make heat exit out back or top. The heat from the AIO is much cooler than the heat from the GPU.

This works in most cases. Its how mine works. Closed off nature of your front makes it harder but not impossible.

Since all fans are in exhaust mode, it means all the gaps in case are used to suck air in. Its reverse pressure of sorts. Not so good for dust management.

If you left it as is, you could remove any filters that are on front of case, they wouldn't be helping. You don't need filters on exhaust fans. You don't want to trap dust in the PC

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2023
Visit site
Thank you all for your answers !
I turned the fans around and it seems like the temperature is cooler, thanks for that !

As for the performance I don't really notice something special, maybe I need to change some settings now ?
Yesterday (I didn't changed the fans around yet) I was playing League (Aram) and I had some really bad issues like I had sometimes less than 144 fps which is the minimal I need to have for this monitor and it's quite ridiculous for the setup I have.

Apr 10, 2023
Visit site
I did not let the AIO go 100 % all the time as it has a quite annoying high-pitched noise
And as I open some games it goes really high and the fans goes really hard and then it lowers it and become normal
I'm also a dev and for my work I have a navigator profile with hundreds of tabs open and it goes from 40C to 70C while charging and after it charged opened tabs it goes 40C

Also I have a lot more fps on League and Valo for the one I tested xD
+200 fps on Val on practice range
+400 fps on League on Practice

If I don't find anything to make it less loud while charging I will keep with it, I'll just get used to it

Thanks a lot for the tips to lower the temperature !

TRENDING THREADS