High End PC Build Questions

Oct 3, 2020
Visit site
Hi!

I'm building a PC and I'm currently at the planning stage.

I want it to be super powerful.. enough so that I won't ever have to worry about it slowing down for anything.

The main things I would be using it for are CAD (Revit), rendering plugins for CAD and some occasional (but graphics intensive) gaming (mainly Forza Horizon 4).

I've been using a 2019 16" MacBook Pro (i9-9880H+32GB RAM+Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB). It's been good but it's very expensive and I wanted to get a high-end PC so I don't have to worry about VMs with windows or Bootcamp.

I've put together a list of the things I want to include but I'd like some advice on a few things here and there I haven't decided on yet.

CPU: i9-10900 (BX8070110900)

Motherboard (here's a choice or potentially a new suggestion (I want it to be able to support at least 64GB ram for future upgrades, and wifi)):
1. MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI Intel Z490 S1200
2. MSI B550 TOMAHAWK AMD B550
3. Asus ROG STRIX Z490-F GAMING Intel Z490

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 3200 MHz (2x 16GB) (CMW32GX4M2E3200C16)

Graphics (here's a choice or potentially a new suggestion - this is one I'm really not sure about (I want at the very least 8GB)):
1. RTX 2070
2. RTX 2070 Super
3. RTX 1080ti
I'm just really not sure what one to get with the other specs I'm getting.

Hard Drive: WD Black 1TB M.2

Power Supply: Corsair 850Watt 80+Plus Gold (Do I need more than 850W?)

Here's where I have no idea what to do:

Cooler: Water cooling or air cooling? How many fans? Do I get a water block for the graphics card? Will these specs do okay with just air cooling?

Case: What's the best one (with a glass side) for these specs? I want the build to be clean and look sleek.

Lighting: Does strip lighting just look tacky? Am I better off just getting RGB fans and making sure the components (such as RAM, SSD, Cooler, etc) are RGB to light it up?

Cabling: Will I need extra cables? or will all the cables come with the parts I've listed?

I think that's all. If there's anything I've left out please let me know or add anything extra you think I need to consider.

Thanks in advance for your time!

Ok a few things you need to add.
  1. What is your budget.
  2. What resolution will you be using.
  3. Do you need a monitor? Do you need advice on what type?
  4. When do you need your system by?
As for Graphics cards - I wouldn't recommend any of the ones listed. If you can wait till the end of October then AMD will release new cards. You can then compare these to the new NVIDIA RTX3080/3090

The processor is fine for your CAD usage. If you can wait till oct 8th AMD are announcing new processors which might be better and cheaper for Multicore/Multithreaded usage.

1TB of storage isn't a lot. I would add a HDD or increase the storage to 2TB. For example Forza Horizon 4 is I think now just over 100GB.

TRENDING THREADS