Help with first build update in 5 years

Dec 19, 2021
Visit site
I've built my first PC around 5 years ago and I've been using it mostly for gaming and now I'm looking to update it. Because prices are stupidly high in Brazil, my plan is to update it slowly, and would love some suggestions on how to do this efficiently.
This is my current build:
  • Case: Thermaltake H34
  • Processor: i5-6400
  • Motherboard: ASRock B150M Pro4
  • RAM: HyperX DDR4 (2x8)
  • Processor Cooler: Hyper T4
  • GPU: GTX 1070 Gigabyte G1 Gaming
  • HD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB
  • SSD: Kingston 120GB
  • PSU: 650W XFX TS Series full wired 80+ Gold
With this in mind I have a few questions:
  1. I was thinking of first updating the motherboard and processor. Then buying new RAM, then a new HD and SSD, and finally a new cooler and PSU. By the end of 2022, I would probably get a 3070. I this a solid plan?
  2. For the processor I'm considering getting an i5-12600K - I won't overclock it. Is this a good option? Or would I be losing money because wouldn't overclock it?
  3. If the i5-12600k is good, would it be possible to pair it with a lower-tier motherboard? I've seen some websites suggesting to pair it with Z690 ones but they are crazy expensive and because I won't overclock it I feel like I'm wasting money. Would a B450M or something be enough?
  4. Would this new processor require a new PSU or cooler?
Thanks in advance!

What GPU are you currently using? Depending on your current GPU, I might rather start with a new video card and maybe bigger NVMe drive, and then do the rest later when you can. But that just depends on how good your current video card is. Plus, it's pretty hard to find a 3070 at a decent price these days. I'm really hoping that gets better before too long.

I've built my first PC around 5 years ago and I've been using it mostly for gaming and now I'm looking to update it. Because prices are stupidly high in Brazil, my plan is to update it slowly, and would love some suggestions on how to do this efficiently.
This is my current build:
  • Case: Thermaltake H34
  • Processor: i5-6400
  • Motherboard: ASRock B150M Pro4
  • RAM: HyperX DDR4 (2x8)
  • Processor Cooler: Hyper T4
  • GPU: GTX 1070 Gigabyte G1 Gaming
  • HD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB
  • SSD: Kingston 120GB
  • PSU: 650W XFX TS Series full wired 80+ Gold
With this in mind I have a few questions:
  1. I was thinking of first updating the motherboard and processor. Then buying new RAM, then a new HD and SSD, and finally a new cooler and PSU. By the end of 2022, I would probably get a 3070. I this a solid plan?
  2. For the processor I'm considering getting an i5-12600K - I won't overclock it. Is this a good option? Or would I be losing money because wouldn't overclock it?
  3. If the i5-12600k is good, would it be possible to pair it with a lower-tier motherboard? I've seen some websites suggesting to pair it with Z690 ones but they are crazy expensive and because I won't overclock it I feel like I'm wasting money. Would a B450M or something be enough?
  4. Would this new processor require a new PSU or cooler?
Thanks in advance!

You should play with the PC Part Picker website a bit. It tells you if all your parts are compatible. You could try different combinations with different CPU's and motherboards.

TRENDING THREADS