Question Help with choosing correct parts

Apr 20, 2023
Visit site
Hey, just bought a computer of someone, and i wanted to play but i noticed my CPU was bottlenecking the GPU. When i played games like Sea of thieves or PUBG the CPU would be at 70-90% and the GPU wouldn't move any further than 10%. Can anyone help me find a new CPU that i can purchase for my GPU? Something that is affordable, around $280 dollars.

Here are my specs

i7-6700 -3.40GHZ, 4 cores
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 8GB
Motherboard = Z170A PC MATE (MS-7971)
32GB RAM

I would really appriciate any help! Thanks!

Based on your specs, a good CPU upgrade for your GPU would be the Intel i5-9600K. This processor is a 9th gen six-core processor with a base clock speed of 3.7 GHz and can boost up to 4.6 GHz. It should give you plenty of power to push your RTX 2070 and make the most of it. Plus, this processor can be had for around $280 which fits within your budget.

It wouldnt work with the motherboard in question.

With the latest BIOS the fastest supported CPU would be a 7700K. It wouldnt be much of an upgrade at all.

Sorry @mrman12 youre looking at a full platform upgrade. Thats CPU and motherboard, potentially RAM as well, although you could go for a DDR4 board and use what you have depending on the speed of it. 3200 would be OK.

TRENDING THREADS