Question Help Regarding Lower FPS with Ryzen 7 5800x

May 31, 2021
Visit site
Hey there!

I recently just did a big overhaul on my gaming PC and am having an issue.

My previous setup was an i7-6700k (OC'ed @ 4.5 GHZ), MSI Gaming M7 z270, and a MSI Gaming RTZ 2070 Super, and 32 GB (3200 MHZ) Vengeance LPX RAM.

However, I purchased a Ryzen 7 5800x (OC'ed to 4.9GHZ) and an Aorus x570 Ultra (along with a new cooler and case) and kept the same drives, RAM and PSU.

With my previous setup, I was running Borderlands 3 at around a solid 90-120 FPS, however, with this new setup, I am getting anywhere from 60-70 FPS. I ran an in-game benchmark and got (with my previous setup) 99.xx AVG FPS. I ran the same in-game benchmark with my new build and my new AVG is 75.xx FPS.

Along with this I benchmarked both my CPU and GPU (just to make sure nothing changed) and got very close results with similar builds.

I thought the new Zen 3 Ryzen's had better single-core performance? I also getting lower FPS in modded Skyrim and Dying Light.

If anyone has any idea why this might be happening, let me know!

Reactions: anonym.H
Reactions: Kaamos_Llama
Hi!

My first thought is how have you checked the stability of your overclock? It could be throwing up errors and correcting itself a lot due to instability. Have you tried running the games with and without the overclock? I'm also assuming you are monitoring your temperatures and that 4.9 Ghz is constant and not throttling to slower speeds due to high temps.

Secondly, at what speed is your RAM running? The Infinity Fabric of the Ryzen chips is tied 1:1 with the speed of your RAM. If your have some 2400MHZ RAM in there its limiting your CPU speed also. Although from what I understand it shouldn't be anywhere near as much as you are experiencing.

I went myself from a7700K to a 5600X and I've got improved frame rates and benchmark scores across the board.

May 31, 2021
Visit site
if you swap from intel to AMD it helps to clean install and let windows get all new drivers for the all new hardware

If your games are on another drive, and are say from steam, you can reuse them on the new install. Just have the drive you want windows on in pc when you install

I assume its win 10 - follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/
That makes total sense. I just used the "reset this PC" option through Windows. Hopefully the fresh install will help!

May 31, 2021
Visit site
Hi!

My first thought is how have you checked the stability of your overclock? It could be throwing up errors and correcting itself a lot due to instability. Have you tried running the games with and without the overclock? I'm also assuming you are monitoring your temperatures and that 4.9 Ghz is constant and not throttling to slower speeds due to high temps.

Secondly, at what speed is your RAM running? The Infinity Fabric of the Ryzen chips is tied 1:1 with the speed of your RAM. If your have some 2400MHZ RAM in there its limiting your CPU speed also. Although from what I understand it shouldn't be anywhere near as much as you are experiencing.

I went myself from a7700K to a 5600X and I've got improved frame rates and benchmark scores across the board.

I used Ryzen Master software for the OC (Auto option) which brought it to the 4.9 GHZ. I did the "Apply and Test" option, but also stressed my CPU in CPUZ for around 10-15 minutes and had ~80°C (no throttling) and it was stable. I am using a Cosair H115i RGB Platinum.

For my ram speed it is 3200 MHZ, which I figured would be okay for now for the speed hungry Ryzen.

I figured it would boost the performance of my PC overall, but that's not the case (at least for gaming) as of now. The CPU works wonders in Photoshop and Lightroom.

I'll let you guys know what happens after the fresh install!

Seems a whole conversation happened while I was typing out my post and the platform didn't inform me for some reason. Sorry for cutting across,

remove oc while you clean install. It might not work well otherwise.

This is important. Also make sure you then try the games at stock so you have a baseline for performance.

I wouldn't trust the Auto OC stress test to be particularly stable, at least play a lot of hours of CPU dependent games before your trust it. I've had mildly unstable overclocks gradually corrupt my Windows install in the past.

May 31, 2021
Visit site
Seems a whole conversation happened while I was typing out my post and the platform didn't inform me for some reason. Sorry for cutting across,

This is important. Also make sure you then try the games at stock so you have a baseline for performance.

I wouldn't trust the Auto OC stress test to be particularly stable, at least play a lot of hours of CPU dependent games before your trust it. I've had mildly unstable overclocks gradually corrupt my Windows install in the past.

I did turn off the OC before installing!

I figured the Auto test wouldn't be the best way to go (especially since it was like 30 seconds 🤣).

Any good CPU intensive games you recommend? Only one that comes to mind is Minecraft but that only uses 2 cores.

I would assume that because the boost for the 7 5800X is ~4.5 GHZ or so that it would put single core performance up there with my i7-6700k OC'ed. If that's the case, I won't even worry about OCing.

Thank you guys again for the help and warm welcome to the forum.

I'm a bit out of date as I dont intend to OC this platform beyond PBO tbh (no time anymore) I havent researched it.

In the past on Intel rigs just about every stress test I could find, but I dont know how good they are for Ryzen, sorry.

Any good CPU intensive games you recommend? Only one that comes to mind is Minecraft but that only uses 2 cores.

I've heard people say Battlefield multiplayer is very good at finding issues with Intel chips at least, I'd assume it would work for Ryzen. I'd guess Path of Exile would have a lot of complex damage calculations that could push a CPU overclock. Total War games maybe too, Ashes of the Singularity. Sorry I cant be of more help then that.

I would assume that because the boost for the 7 5800X is ~4.5 GHZ or so that it would put single core performance up there with my i7-6700k OC'ed. If that's the case, I won't even worry about OCing.

Thank you guys again for the help and warm welcome to the forum.

Instructions Per Clock (IPC) Is stronger on Ryzen 5000 series than Skylake. So at the same clock speed Ryzen is actually faster than your old CPU, not to mention you have double the cores and threads.

Notice how the 5800X is slightly faster than the stock I7 10700K on average. Fair to assume the 10700K is a fair amount faster per core than the 6700K too.

Glad to help :) I think Colif got straight to the heart of the matter more than I did though!

Lots of people think they can swap win 10 from 1 PC to another.
there are 3 possible answers
  1. it works first time
  2. it works but there are issues.
  3. it doesn't work at all.
often we see people at answer 2.

Win 10 pretty good at swapping hardware though, sometimes it works. depends how much is changed.

May 31, 2021
Visit site
Okay! I figured I'd give you guys a quick update.

Did a complete reinstall of windows (wiped all my drives) and tried a few settings adjustments in Borderlands 3. I got it back up to the 110 FPS!

I tried other games as well and they are running much more smoothly. (Along with Windows itself running much smoother).

Thank you again for the help guys!

TRENDING THREADS