Help pick out new graphics card.

Jul 3, 2020
Visit site
Hey guys, so i need help picking out my new graphics card.

My current specs are:

Intel i5-6600
Gtx 960 2gb palit
16gb ram 2666mhz
Corsair CX600
Asrock b150m pro4
And 2 ssd's not sure which exactly (one is samsung other is WD Blue).

My monitor has freesync which can go to 75hz, so considering that maybe an rx would be better..?
Also i will be playing at 1080p.

I have found pretty good deals on a 1060 6gb msi gaming and a RX580 8gb nitro+ sapphire.
Now, which one of these would fit better into my setup? All help is appriciated!

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2020
Visit site
You didn't mention which case you have, but I'll assume graphics card length isn't an issue for now.

Sounds like the RX580 will be a bit better for you. Some comparisons say the 1060 scores higher, but it doesn't support FreeSync.

Also, the RX580 has more onboard memory, that's another bonus in my experience.

Do you have a budget on how much you can spend on a gpu? If you dont want to change anything else with your setup, going with a 10xx series cards will be a great upgrade if you plan on staying at 1080p. You can also move up to an RTX series card to add future proofing to your system if you plan on updating around what you pick for your new gpu.

1) The GTX 1060 does support adaptive sync - it can do 'freesync' since Nvidia enabled that in Jan 2019

2) The RX 5700 XT is a great card for 1440p gaming but is a real waste of money for 1080p

3) Buying a 10 series GPU will almost certainly be a bad buy, depending on local prices.

I have found pretty good deals on a 1060 6gb msi gaming and a RX580 8gb nitro+ sapphire.
Now, which one of these would fit better into my setup? All help is appriciated!
What country and currency are you shopping in?

What is your budget?

What kind of games are you intending to play, at what kind of settings?

These deals you found - could you post links to them? It will help suggest if they are decent deals or if there are alternatives

Reactions: FreezerBurn
I've always been an nvidia fan honestly, I would say a MSI Gaming GeForce GTX 1660 would work really really well with your build

edit: There was a rumored release date for the 30 series cards of august. I dont know if it is true, but it might effect the current prices when they release them.
MSI GTX 1660

3) Buying a 10 series GPU will almost certainly be a bad buy, depending on local prices.

Looking at his specs, not for that system. If hes just planning on buying a gpu why buy something super powerful then throw it in a system like that? Yes price points on these cards matter because they are older, but a lot of gamers still prefer these cards over 20 series. So 'certainly' is not exactly accurate.

So 'certainly' is not exactly accurate.
"Almost certainly" which is what I said is accurate.

10 series cards are generally bad buys because 16 series cards tend to make more sense. Compare 1050 ti prices to 1650 prices for instance.... you usually save a few quid for a big loss of performance with a 10 series there. Sometimes the 1050 tis are more expensive, even...

Edit: Just to clarify, I never mentioned a 20 series card.

Like I said, depends what country and currency they are shopping in.

Jul 3, 2020
Visit site
The 1060 is atleast 75e more expensive then the 580. What do you guys think about used cards? Theres some cheaper ones that are still under guarantee..

Please could you answer the questions that I and other people have asked so we can actually give meaningful advice? :)

What country and currency are you shopping in?

What is your budget?

What kind of games are you intending to play, at what kind of settings?

These deals you found - could you post links to them?

You didn't mention which case you have,

etc?

What do you guys think about used cards? Theres some cheaper ones that are still under guarantee..
Many manufacturers do not honour warranties if you are not the original owner, with proof of purchase. So be careful of that. There are some brands that do, but it's not common. Also, pricing of 2nd hand 10-series cards 2nd hand can be so expensive that it's just not worth the savings. It all depends, as mentioned above a few times now... :)

Jul 3, 2020
Visit site
Im shopping in croatia, HRK (hrvatska kuna).
Dont really wanna spend more than 240e (like 1800HRK) on the gpu since i plan on upgrading my case and fans..
I plan on playing some newer titles like story games preferably on high/ultra,
and games like rust, r6s, gta V etc..
I can only post the 580 since the 1060 aint on sale no more,
http://infokom.com.hr/graficka-kart...a.net&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=direct_link
that is the only new 580 nitro+ i can get here..

The case i will be getting is this one
https://www.centro.hr/kuciste-silen....net&utm_campaign=nabava.net&utm_medium=click

If you are comfortable buying off a non-Croatia website using Euros, you could buy a GTX 1660, which is more powerful than an RX 580, for about the same price

e.g. this one for ~220€

Or Mindfactory has one for 195€
Or some dual fans one for a bit more in the low 200s.

Could be cheaper, even allowing for exchange rate and shipping.

240€ is expensive for an RX 580.

Edit: Apparently Mindfactory may not ship outside of Germany any more, though there are other stores like Case King and so on that might. And I expect one of the European Amazon stores ship to Croatia, probably Amazon.de? Alternate have stores for a dozen EU countries and may ship to Croatia?

Jul 3, 2020
Visit site
If you are comfortable buying off a non-Croatia website using Euros, you could buy a GTX 1660, which is more powerful than an RX 580, for about the same price

e.g. this one for ~220€

Or Mindfactory has one for 195€
Or some dual fans one for a bit more in the low 200s.

Could be cheaper, even allowing for exchange rate and shipping.

240€ is expensive for an RX 580.

Edit: Apparently Mindfactory may not ship outside of Germany any more, though there are other stores like Case King and so on that might. And I expect one of the European Amazon stores ship to Croatia, probably Amazon.de? Alternate have stores for a dozen EU countries and may ship to Croatia?

Does my motherboard support it? What about this one? https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07PFQV7YW/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=&th=1 Any better?

Mar 12, 2020
Visit site
I had pretty much the same setup as you, but I had the 1060. It was a good card, but I replaced it with a sapphire rx590 nitro. I am quite happy with the 590... it is faster than the 1060 and I prefer sapphire products.

In most games the 590 would be not much faster than a 1060 (it would be a bit, but not masses). It's cool that it worked for you but I'd never recommend that as an upgrade for anyone unless it was free :)

Edit: Unless you mean the 1060 3gb, in which case it could be a more substantial improvement, but probably still not a good value buy.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2020
Visit site
Hey guys, so i need help picking out my new graphics card.

My current specs are:

Intel i5-6600
Gtx 960 2gb palit
16gb ram 2666mhz
Corsair CX600
Asrock b150m pro4
And 2 ssd's not sure which exactly (one is samsung other is WD Blue).

My monitor has freesync which can go to 75hz, so considering that maybe an rx would be better..?
Also i will be playing at 1080p.

I would honestly wait until the next cards arrive on the scene. Prices are in flux and likely to go down once the new cards come out.
But depending on budget and whether you want Ray tracing you could get:

AMD 580
AMD 5700xt
Nvidia 2070 Super (Ray tracing)

I was looking at upgrading my old AMD 5770HD, but decided to just overhaul my entire system. I'm now having to wait due to financial reasons...

But the cards listed will all boost your frame rates. The list is from lowest price to highest price. And is also stacked from weakest to strongest.

The 5700xt is a great card and cheaper than the 2070, but unable to do rt.

TRENDING THREADS