Help, I can't finish RPGs anymore

Page 3 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
There's actually 1 RPG which I keep going back to: Skyrim. But with all the mods available that's basically just a sandbox game with no finish. And I've played that game so much by now that it's not hard to get back into the game (I'll remember the controls forever, and well the story you create yourself anyway).

It helps there that the new Mod Manager (Vortex) is able to show you which mods you were using on a save whenever you had to reinstall, so I'm able to not play for months, reinstall my Windows even. I can reinstall the mods I had and continue the game where I left of. Glad I can do that now, I'd feel bad if I had to startover my character after I reached lvl 50 with 150 hours of gameplay :).

Jan 14, 2020
Visit site
Hello! I think they are containing more dialogues more than ever. Because I remember the first time I played Baldur's Gate or TES IV: Oblivion years ago; they are not boring at all. Especially, Baldur's Gate 2. Also, I'm still in love with TES IV: Oblivion. I have had created my own spell!

Some of the role-playing games still in our memories because of their gameplay style and unique features. But I see that some of the new ones are only given a lot of dialogues and discussion more than gameplay experience. Maybe this is the reason people can't finish the role-playing games nowadays.

Bests,

Jan 14, 2020
Visit site
Tips that work for me, and I already completed dozens of rpgs in the last 2 years (and I still have a very demanding carrer life):

1) Focus on your limited free time. When I am playing a huge epic saga, like the one in Pillars of Eternity, I need focus to play it. This means that, for at least one month, almost every free little time I have, I will use it to learn about the mechanincs and the lore of the game. This means way less time in things like social media, TV, newspapers, movies...

2) Think again if you REALLY do want to focus on such massive games. If I love the setting and the mechanics, being very deep and complex is a huge plus in my book. OTOH, games like The Witcher is not the best for me, because although the setting and lore are very nice, the mechanics are bad, and the difficulty is super easy no matter what. This almost always kills the enjoyment for me. So, you should always question why are you playing the game, and what do you like in it to create better focus.

3) Dont metagame and ALWAYS choose the hardest difficulty. Dont cheese, dont save scum, make things harder, put some self restrains, role play your character. The journey will be more harsh and more satisfying. Joy = Focus. So, find your joy,

We need to construct better resolve models for us, because we live in an age with such vague distractions, like twitter and thousands of little things that destroy our focus. This approach I tend to use in my life, in my carrer, and in my hobbies (focus on one symphony at a time, on one giant book at a time, on one good case a time, and so on), always question myself what I like in them, and why I am doing what I am doing.

Sorry about my english, I am still learning this language.

Good Games for us all.

Reactions: Krud
Jan 21, 2020
Visit site
I have been playing outer worlds since it came out and finally got to
Byzantium
I just play it once or twice a week. They do kind of feel like work and you need to be in the right mood. After working all day, I usually dont want to read though a bunch of text. I usually finish them but it takes forever. At least with OW its pretty easy to remember what I was doing.

Krud, did you ever finish Dragon Age: Inquisition? I remember you were struggling greatly with the tedium of the Hinterlands.

I did not. I did move on from The Hinterlands got as far as the... dang, it's been so long, I forget the names of things now... the fancy party quest with royalty? I believe it was a major plotpoint, and I was supposed to discover something, but I don't remember what. I don't know why I stopped there, as it seemed potentially intriguing and different. I need to get back into that one.

Tips that work for me, and I already completed dozens of rpgs in the last 2 years (and I still have a very demanding carrer life):

1) Focus on your limited free time. When I am playing a huge epic saga, like the one in Pillars of Eternity, I need focus to play it. This means that, for at least one month, almost every free little time I have, I will use it to learn about the mechanincs and the lore of the game. This means way less time in things like social media, TV, newspapers, movies...

2) Think again if you REALLY do want to focus on such massive games. If I love the setting and the mechanics, being very deep and complex is a huge plus in my book. OTOH, games like The Witcher is not the best for me, because although the setting and lore are very nice, the mechanics are bad, and the difficulty is super easy no matter what. This almost always kills the enjoyment for me. So, you should always question why are you playing the game, and what do you like in it to create better focus.

3) Dont metagame and ALWAYS choose the hardest difficulty. Dont cheese, dont save scum, make things harder, put some self restrains, role play your character. The journey will be more harsh and more satisfying. Joy = Focus. So, find your joy,

We need to construct better resolve models for us, because we live in an age with such vague distractions, like twitter and thousands of little things that destroy our focus. This approach I tend to use in my life, in my carrer, and in my hobbies (focus on one symphony at a time, on one giant book at a time, on one good case a time, and so on), always question myself what I like in them, and why I am doing what I am doing.

Sorry about my english, I am still learning this language.

Good Games for us all.

Thanks for the tips! I don't know if I agree with the "hardest difficulty" tip*, since that will sometimes reveal cracks in a game's structure that normal levels might not, but it's worth a try, at least.

(* - Also, one of the reasons I stepped away from Pillars of Eternity was I started to find the combat tediously difficult. For me, at least.)

And your English is better than a lot of native speakers I know.

Reactions: Judge

Apollo

King Kong
Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
I feel this. I bought RDR2 last year in October, and I'm only on Chapter 3 because the missions are so long so then I take a "break from the story" which turns into 15 hrs of just shooting people, hunting, fishing, and buying clothes.

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
I feel this. I bought RDR2 last year in October, and I'm only on Chapter 3 because the missions are so long so then I take a "break from the story" which turns into 15 hrs of just shooting people, hunting, fishing, and buying clothes.

At least you continue playing the game haha. I also own the game, and I'm playing it (fairly) constantly (that's 2 hours a week though). But I just do 1 or 2 missions and sometimes a little hunting or else before moving to something else. But at least I keep playing and I have hopes I can finish it.

It's not that I'm not enjoying the game or that I think it's bad, I just can't keep going on forever with it.

I did not. I did move on from The Hinterlands got as far as the... dang, it's been so long, I forget the names of things now... the fancy party quest with royalty? I believe it was a major plotpoint, and I was supposed to discover something, but I don't remember what. I don't know why I stopped there, as it seemed potentially intriguing and different. I need to get back into that one.
Well it's not like there's any rush to finish it before the next one comes out.

Well, whoever it was that was insulted that I haven't finished The Witcher 3, you'll be glad to know that I... well, that I'm slightly closer to finishing than I was before.

(I'm in a tiny boat heading for the Isle of Mists to pick up Ciri, stopping occasionally to switch out boats when one gets trashed by those stupid drakes. I'm considering walking along whatever land is south of the Isle of Mists instead of boating, because there are a ridiculous number of drakes, and I don't fight well in a boat.)

I find it hard to finish any games at all nowadays, I'd blame it on parenthood but it started way before that. Having a dozen games installed at a time doesn't help, as people have pointed out, but when I get a chance to play for an hour every week or two I don't know what I'll feel like on that specific occasion so I like to have options. This is why I still haven't finished either TW3 or DA:I, and also why they're both perpetually on my hard drive.

There've been some good suggestions in this thread so far, I'll have to keep an eye on it for more advice.

Feb 12, 2020
Visit site
I started playing Witcher 3 last December but I got bored and stopped playing. I started SKYRIM many times and it bores me after a couple of hours. I think the problem is my age (36). 🤣

Feb 14, 2020
Visit site
If I love a game, I don't have an issue finishing it. However now that I'm older and have less time, I definitely have less tolerance for mediocre games. If I'm 5 hours in and not feeling it then I'll drop it. Maybe go back to it someday, maybe not.

I dropped Red Dead 2 believe it or not. The animations and slow pace were just annoying me, and I wanted to use my free time for something more fun. If I'm having fun though, I keep playing 'til it's over. :giggle:

Mar 8, 2020
Visit site
I have a hard time with these long RPG's. I am currently trying to complete Greedfall....we shall see, I have issues being focused on one thing too long and that's in general not just games

Mar 8, 2020
Visit site
How is Greedfall btw?
I am enjoying it so far. I have not got very far in the game yet but the game features three main factions, you are part of the congregation of merchants, the Bridge Alliance and Theleme, there are other factions though. You are looking for a cure to an illness that is supposedly on an island that has recently been settled (save for the natives on the island) by the BA and Theleme.

There is friction between the factions and as you go through the game and your choices affect how each group feels about you. It reminds me of the old Bioware games however I am unsure how the choices really affect the rest of the game if all all since I am probably only 10% in. I am trying to keep them all reasonably happy.

Character ugrades are pretty typical of most RPG, you can upgrade your weapons(guns, swords, knives) via workbench or blacksmith, you can craft potions, traps etc.

Hopefully I'll finish it :)

Reactions: Hveðrungr
Jan 19, 2020
Visit site
Finishing games isn't a priority for me, playing for enjoyment is. So, I keep a lot of games installed and play what I feel like until I'm ready to put it down. I do finish games and that is satifying, but not the end goal. I also like games with open ended play so once the narrative ends there is still a world to play in. No Man's Sky is an example, Borderlands 2/3 is another.

In the last 6 months or so I've "finished" (triggered the narrative ending): Dragon Quest XI, Clockwork Tales, Kathy Rain, Driftmoon, Hero of the Kingdom III, A NWN campaign, Grim Dawn (played through a campaign on a new character), and Whispers of a Machine. That's out of 79 other games I have installed that I haven't finished and may never. It doesn't matter to me as long as I enjoy the time I play.

Reactions: Frindis

TRENDING THREADS