Have you ever used character death to fast travel?

This sort of depends on what type of games you play., but I do this all the time. For some games, you get to pick a respawn point, for others you just go back to your home/base.

In some games, like V Rising, for instance, there is an inventory penalty for doing it. Your character drops all his resources upon death, but not his gear or consumables, but you can actually change that in the options if you want no penalty at all. In Planet Crafters, I believe it was based on the difficulty you selected. On Easy, you didn't drop anything, and since you were constantly running out of oxygen, i very rarely ran home. I just let my oxygen run out.

If you give me the chance, I'll use it, but I can see that people who role play may not want to be constantly dying or some people may consider it gaming the system. Have you ever used death to fast travel?

i'm sure i have. But its more likely that i just die just to restart the game quickly if i'm doing poorly in a game. That said, planetside 2 where you decide to respawn it counted as a death. Something that vexed me greatly when i was a stat whore and if i PTFO it meant doing it excessively to spawn back at a friendly base to mount up or to defend a base or find a decent fight to have fun.

But ARPGs or games where there is consequences to dying? probably not. if it costs me something i rather avoid it.

Torchlight 2 gives you a choice.Upon death,
you can res back at town and not lose anything except progress
Or you can pay to resurrect on the spot and continue to die... err I mean fight.

Its funny, I died in town in TL2 and so it was a short run back to my body. You not going to have this problem in base game, it was a modded boss that killed me.

I thought topic was have you ever used it to gain position. like die in a zone specifically as you want to go to res point as its further into territory... i haven't done that myself but I have seen it used in speedruns

depends on what type of games you play
Yeah, my games don't usually lend themselves to it. Closest is probably in Far Cry games, if I screw up and get trapped in an outpost I'm trying to capture, I'll go get killed because the respawn will be nearby—ie much closer than an official fast travel location.

I'll do the same thing if I'm trying to figure out the best way to capture a base undetected—if I get spotted, get killed and start again nearby.

I can't remember any specific examples, but I've definitely done that.

This also reminds me of The Outfit, a third person shooter where you spawn with 3 or 4 AI controlled squad members. It had a versus mode where you won by capturing all of the points of interest on the map. There was no penalty in dying except the time it took to respawn and if you died, your squad members would go off on their own to attack the other person's base.

So what my friend and I would sometimes do was to just kill ourselves as fast as we could to summon more and more AI controlled soldiers charging into the other's base. It wasn't particularly effective as the AI had no self-preservation and would get mown down by one or two well placed turrets, but it was fun. And you could try to snipe the men manning the turrets or shoot them with a rocket launcher, hoping the other player wouldn't notice until he was surrounded by your guys.

Jul 18, 2022
Visit site
I've definitely used this type of loop hole to my advantage before, but I wouldn't sacrifice my loot or progression for it.

I understand that the walking around and traveling is nice when you've got great scenery and random world events, but it does become tedious after a while.. especially if you're 100 hours deep into the game.

I've definitely used this type of loop hole to my advantage before, but I wouldn't sacrifice my loot or progression for it.

I understand that the walking around and traveling is nice when you've got great scenery and random world events, but it does become tedious after a while.. especially if you're 100 hours deep into the game.
Yeah, I'll never understand those people that play a game like Skyrim and refuse to ever fast travel. The scenery is beautiful, but I don't need to spend hours upon hours seeing the same scenery 100 times.

Jul 18, 2022
Visit site
Yeah, I'll never understand those people that play a game like Skyrim and refuse to ever fast travel. The scenery is beautiful, but I don't need to spend hours upon hours seeing the same scenery 100 times.

Oh but that first time experience of roaming Skyrim is something beautiful, I loved it and have only had the same feeling when exploring the Witcher 3. Games need to have that open world, random events feeling injected into it, but with a well balanced fast travel system.

Oh but that first time experience of roaming Skyrim is something beautiful, I loved it and have only had the same feeling when exploring the Witcher 3. Games need to have that open world, random events feeling injected into it, but with a well balanced fast travel system.
Absolutely. In Skyrim, I always try to walk to every destination the first time before I fast travel, unless I'm in a hurry for some reason. But I'm not going to go the entire game without fast traveling. One thing I learned about traversing the world of Skyrim was that I'd end up finding a cave or something, and winning quests before I ever even got the quests. Seems like everything has a purpose, so I ended up deciding to not go exploring as much and just wait for the quests.

Zloth

Community Contributor
It can make for nice background music and something to glance at instead of looking out a window, though. Like this:
View: https://youtu.be/9fx9KZ1isYg

(That one might be best for late October)

TRENDING THREADS