Have you ever tried the beta version of a game?

Jul 9, 2021
Visit site
So, it could seem a strange question, but!
During these days I'm having a lot of fun playing and trying the beta version of games that are going to be released soon. I think it's kinda cool being able to see and play the game while it's still a work in progress.
What do you think about it? Do you have some title to recommend to me?

(Hope this doesn't go against any rule, lol)

During these days I'm having a lot of fun playing and trying the beta version of games that are going to be released soon. I think it's kinda cool being able to see and play the game while it's still a work in progress.

I assume you mean games that haven't even been released to Early Access yet. I've signed up for some betas before. Ubisoft usually invites me to their betas, and they are typically pretty well done, although you usually only get to play the game for a weekend. Then they send you a survey to complete.

I've stopped participating in them (except for some Early Access games) because when a major publisher wants you to test a game, it's almost always some sort of PvP thing which no longer interests me. I did apply for an MMO beta recently, but haven't heard anything back from them.

It can definitely be pretty cool to test out an unreleased game, though. Some of the most fun I ever had gaming was the beta for World's Adrift (RIP).

Yes, i love testing betas for games im excited about, this meaning that its not on early access on steam or isnt a 'demo' of what is done.

I have saved money too by playing betas, finding out the direction in which a certain game is going has made me save my money and wait for a sale or not purchase it.

Im also a fan of playing alpha builds of games too. Recently tried the "alpha" build of Lost Ark and it was amazing, granted its a full release in other countries and its really in alpha for smaller things than the game design, but still, alphas i enjoy playing as well.

Zloth

Community Contributor
X4: Foundations' latest patch is in public beta testing now. It can be pretty fun, but not in the normal way. Depending on how far along development is, there's going to be bugs. While playing the game is still fun, there's another game going on: bug hunting.

A few bugs are easy, like, say, a typo in some text. You spot it, you report where it is, developer fixes it, all done. Some need more work, though. To take a made up example in X4, maybe you land a station and the game crashes. If that is happening to everyone, all the time, it's an easy problem to find. But what if it happens sometimes and not others? "Sometimes I land a stations and it crashes" isn't going to be that helpful. But, if you figure out that landing in a Magpie always crashes while other ships don't, that's a lot more useful. If you can provide a save game that's just before the crash and it crashes for you (and the developers) soon after it's loaded, that's very useful and will likely result in a dead bug.

So, basically, you get to spend hours and hours finding problems, but you don't have to fix any of them!

Of course, that's not all the betas out there. Sometimes beta testers are expected to just play the game and the game itself will report anything going wrong. Or maybe they are just doing it more for general impressions of how fun the game is, either so they can adjust gameplay or adjust who they target for marketing.

A few are clearly just demos being called 'beta testing' to try and get more people to play the demo. A "beta test" that's going to start 4 days before the release date, with crates full of game copies already in stores, is not a beta test.

Beta versions - Star Citizen comes to mind, it may never leave beta. Need a pretty good PC to play it though. not exactly optimised yet., It eats ram
That's still in alpha. Once they put it all together, maybe they'll call it beta.

@Pifanjr, didn't that get named Buried Grenadecraft? ;)

nothing can beat the feeling that you're one of the first persons that played this game
You must try the incomparable bliss of Patient Gaming:
All bugs fixed;
All player unofficial patches available;
Dozens, hundreds of mods available, many genuinely great as voted by the players;
More walkthrus, videos and answers available than you could have conjured up with the original slightly buggy wand;
Lots of reviews from players—some excellent—of which the recent ones reflect the current state of the 'fixed' game;
All the DLC included in the Platinum Edition;
Now playable on the recent mid-range PC you got, without needing a mortgage;
All on sale for $5!

Think about betas as a form of demo
That works. One of the reasons I stopped buying new games was that pubs stopped releasing demos, so I no longer had an idea if I'd like the play or it would work on my PC.

Is there a reason the tutorial mission in most games can't be released separately as a demo? Even a month or quarter after release, once marketing have got their full complement of buy-it-blind purchases.

On BigFish where I buy my casual games, EVERY game has an hour-long free trial. That's a lot more solid than retailers' refund policies.

Sarafan

Community Contributor
Is there a reason the tutorial mission in most games can't be released separately as a demo? Even a month or quarter after release, once marketing have got their full complement of buy-it-blind purchases.

The main reason given by the developers why they dropped demos is the additional time and money needed to prepare such a version of the game. Basically it's complicated when we're talking about open world games. This I can understand. It's a little harder to understand why we're not getting demos of linear games. These are easier to prepare and don't require that much of a work. In the last years we've seen a comeback of demos on the indie scene however. I hope that some day demos of AAA titles will return as well.

Zloth

Community Contributor
Beta 5 for X4:Foundations showed up a couple of days ago. They've added the ability to turn station pieces around any axis now, instead of just spinning them like a top. I'm having a ball with it! Finally, I can make a seriously twisted station to reflec... <ahem> to throw my wonderfully organized mind into sharp relief!

But, of course, it's beta. Odd stuff happens from time to time. As always, patience is needed when beta testing.

Sep 11, 2021
Visit site

Yes I have COD Vanguard lately

TRENDING THREADS