Hard drive after 8 years

Sep 18, 2021
Visit site
Make sure you make regular backups of anything important on it. That done, if it's working fine, keep using it.

I assume of course it's not your system or games disk—I advise SSD-NVMe for those, because of the significant speed improvement.
I'm using it now. My OS and other files are stored. I had an SSD but it was corrupted. For the mean time I'm using my HDD. Once i upgrade my pc I'll be using my SSD

Reactions: Brian Boru
Does it automagically remove data from the drive? Does the drive chirp like a cricket when operating? Does the system end up sluggish or grounds to a halt? If the answer to all those is yes, then you should replace the drive. Reduce the number of partitions on that HDD, I make sure there's not more than 2(C and D) when I'm relegated to using one physical HDD to do everything on a system(since the client cheaped out on everything else).

To add, if your HDD is housing mission critical data, you're using the wrong drive if it's 8 years old and a placeholder for a dead SSD.

Reactions: Brian Boru
what are you using it in? some hdd can easily last for years, and some die before their time.
if you have backups, I don't see a problem using it. Just know it could go at any time.
If its randomly losing space like one of mine was, its time to get a new one. I had to delete partitions as drive seemed to lose space every day. I replaced PC before drive died completely but it was a Velociraptor and they were designed to die I think, they ran at 10k rpm.
I believe a friend is actually using it still. He is mad.

I didn't know to check it using the software from maker, I didn't know much back them.

but the other 300gb drive in PC worked fine after 8 years as it was just storage and hardly ever used. Windows boot drives tend to get more usage. NVME blurred that as PCIe devices can turn off when not in use so in my current PC; my nvme reports as being only 161 days old but the WD HDD that is same age shows PC real ontime, 270 days. NVME is boot drive, so would have expected the order to be in reverse.

Do you know what brand drive is as many makers have tools you can use to test drive health.
Or just run Crystaldiskinfo (blue icons on website) - https://crystalmark.info/en/ as it should show health of drive.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS