GPU keeps crashing when overclocked just a tiny bit

Jan 17, 2024
Visit site
Hey, recently I got my hands on a 2nd hand (which was still in a great condition) ASUS TUF 1660S OC

so it was the first time I looked into overclocking, but since my temps were too high I came to the conclusion that I will leave that up for the future

then 2 weeks later I got myself 6 (3 exhaust 3 intake) new fans (which are 3pin so they're running at full speed)

So now my GPU Temps are insanely low and I looked into overclocking the card

(using GPU Tweak III)
I upped the GPU Power Target, and GPU Voltage to the maximum, and then went ahead and tried upping the clock to 1915(+100) and the Heaven benchmark crashes!

lowered it to 1900 (+85) and still crashes with max temperature of only 60...

I find out that people using the literal exact same card have success with even higher clock AND memory speeds, with HIGHER temperatures, so what's the problem?

(memory was upped by +500 throughout the whole testing, though idk if that causes the crash?)

Welcome to the forum :)

the literal exact same card

That does not exist, and is the same for almst all consumer-grade products. Items made one after the other will have tiny differences, while those made weeks or months apart can have significant variation—good manufacturers are always tweaking their materials, equipment, tools, labor practices etc.

I'm not a hardware guy, someone more knowledgeable should be along soon. But I did work in manufacturing, incl 5 years at a computer manufacturer—so above is solid :)

Jan 17, 2024
Visit site
so even though they're the same model, some gpus simply come out better than the others?

Is there anything I can do to be able to further clock the card?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
so even though they're the same model, some gpus simply come out better than the others?

Is there anything I can do to be able to further clock the card?
Yes, that is correct.

You already have an OCed GPU, by Asus. You can try tiny upticks, but gains will likely be minimal beyond the level Asus determined. These upticks may de-stabilize the GPU.

TRENDING THREADS