GPU Compatibily

Mar 27, 2020
Visit site
Hello,

I'm a newbie when it comes to compatibility i would like to upgrade my gpu to a NVIDIA 2070 Super , but i'm not sure if it will fit in my pc or if i need to change other part as well could you guys help me ?

here is my current build :
Operating System
Windows 10 Professionnel 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i5 4670K @ 3.40GHz 48 °C
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
8,00 Go Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
MSI Z87-G45 GAMING (MS-7821) (SOCKET 0)
Graphics
PL2530H (1920x1080@60Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (MSI)
Storage
232GB Samsung SSD 840 Series (SSD) 32 °C
1863GB Seagate ST2000DM001-1CH164 (SATA)
931GB TOSHIBA External USB 3.0 USB Device (SSD)
Optical Drives
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-224DB
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

MaddMann

A nerd that found his place
Community Contributor
Jan 17, 2020
Visit site
Spacewise, it is not much different than a 1060, the part I don't see here is your PSU, so long as you are above 650 watts you should be fine, but I would suggest 800 for good measure. If you are open to suggestion, I would suggest upgrading your RAM before your video card at this point, you are going to be seriously bottle necked with only 8gb of ram.

Mar 27, 2020
Visit site
Spacewise, it is not much different than a 1060, the part I don't see here is your PSU, so long as you are above 650 watts you should be fine, but I would suggest 800 for good measure. If you are open to suggestion, I would suggest upgrading your RAM before your video card at this point, you are going to be seriously bottle necked with only 8gb of ram.
Thanks you
My PSU is a color master 620 watts , if i upgrade the card now and change my RAM to 16bg and hardrive next month will i be fine ?
Or should i first get a 800 PSU with the graphic card?

I'm assuming this is for gaming, and not professional/other uses e.g. GPU rendering :)

What is the actual model of the PSU?

A 620W PSU should be more than fine for the system, including an RTX 2070 Super.

800W for a 2070 Super is grossly unnecessary.

The GPU will also be more of a bottleneck than the RAM, in most games. Relatively few games show meaningfully worse performance with 8gb RAM:
Especially on a GPU like a 1060 6gb
And actually the CPU itself will limit performance or cause a less smooth experience in some titles - e.g. AC:OD

I'd probably suggest not buying more RAM, as you'll want to upgrade the CPU before too long anyway. In which case, why invest more money into DDR3 RAM when everything new uses DDR4.

If you buy a new GPU like an RTX 2070 Super, the real bottleneck is here:
PL2530H (1920x1080@60Hz)

RTX 2070 Super is massive overkill for a 1080p 60hz screen. It would be suitable for some 4k gaming and is ideally suited to 1440p 144hz gaming. If buying a GPU of this class for gaming, you should get a 1440p 144hz monitor with adaptive sync.

You can get very powerful GPUs like the RX 5700 / RX 5700 XT / RTX 2060 Super for a lot less depending on local prices. These are still very suitable for 1440p gaming. And would save you some money towards an appropriate monitor.

Mar 27, 2020
Visit site
So i'm gonna get a RTX 2060 with a 1
I'm assuming this is for gaming, and not professional/other uses e.g. GPU rendering

A 620W PSU should be more than fine for the system, including an RTX 2070 Super.

The GPU will also be more of a bottleneck than the RAM, in most games. Relatively few games show meaningfully worse performance with 8gb RAM:
Especially on a GPU like a 1060 6gb
And actually the CPU itself will limit performance or cause a less smooth experience in some titles - e.g. AC:OD

I'd probably suggest not buying more RAM, as you'll want to upgrade the CPU before too long anyway. In which case, why invest more money into DDR3 RAM when everything new uses DDR4.

If you buy a new GPU like an RTX 2070 Super, the real bottleneck is here:

RTX 2070 Super is massive overkill for a 1080p 60hz screen. It would be suitable for some 4k gaming and is ideally suited to 1440p 144hz gaming. If buying a GPU of this class for gaming, you should get a 1440p 144hz monitor with adaptive sync.

You can get very powerful GPUs like the RX 5700 / RX 5700 XT / RTX 2060 Super for a lot less depending on local prices. These are still very suitable for 1440p gaming. And would save you some money towards an appropriate monitor.
thanks you very useful info , if i understood corretcly i should get a RTX 2060 with a 1440p 144hz monitor also add 2x4 gb DDR3 RAM
Later i will also update my CPU to get a smoother experience

To update the CPU you will need a new motherboard and new RAM, which is why I argue that its' not really worth buying more RM now.

But yes to the rest :) - and whatever monitor you buy, make sure it has adaptive sync (freesync,. gsync, etc)

MaddMann

Community Contributor
Jan 17, 2020
Visit site
I'm assuming this is for gaming, and not professional/other uses e.g. GPU rendering

Please at LEAST do a little research before putting down bad info... this is straight from the usermanual of the 2070 super

Motherboard PCI Express® or up to PCI Express 3.0-compliant motherboard with one dual-width x16 graphics slot.
> System Power Supply Minimum 650 W or greater system power supply with one 6-pin and one 8-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.
> Operating System • Microsoft® Windows® 10, 64-bit (v1809, November 2018 or later) • Microsoft Windows 7, 64-bit • Linux®, 64-bit
> System Memory 8 GB system memory (16 GB recommended)
> Internet connection for driver installation
> 1.5 GB of available hard disk space

That is the minimum requirement not even including power for the processor, fans, and hard drives...

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
Please at LEAST do a little research before putting down bad info... this is straight from the usermanual of the 2070 super

Motherboard PCI Express® or up to PCI Express 3.0-compliant motherboard with one dual-width x16 graphics slot.
> System Power Supply Minimum 650 W or greater system power supply with one 6-pin and one 8-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.
> Operating System • Microsoft® Windows® 10, 64-bit (v1809, November 2018 or later) • Microsoft Windows 7, 64-bit • Linux®, 64-bit
> System Memory 8 GB system memory (16 GB recommended)
> Internet connection for driver installation
> 1.5 GB of available hard disk space

That is the minimum requirement not even including power for the processor, fans, and hard drives...

Not sure if that's true. Picture below is Newegg's power calculator. I checked Be Quiet too and it came out with about the same usage. I can hardly imagine that fans or even watercooling requires 300 more watts.

EDIT: Including Be Quiet's calculator.

Guru3D recommends 550W. I'm not 100% sure about it but I think they can be trusted in what they say.
MSI's recommended PSU is 650W for an RTX2070S.

TCndBrL.png

VkpbFL1.png
dbe9d064-d568-438c-9eed-bf2fa75a6098

Last edited:
I hate to be that other guy, but Nvidia and AMD massively overestimate the PSU requirements because they expect some people to be using dirt tier units that won't output their rated amounts without exploding. You'd be able to run a quad core I5 system and a 2070 super on a decent 450 watt unit in reality.

218 watts in FURMARK here for the 2070

add a 100 watts if your being generous for the stock I5 and a few watts here and there for HDD's etc and youre still more than O.K.

How good that Cooler Master unit is is the unknown factor here, but more than likely it will be fine.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvida-geforce-rtx-2070-super/30.html

MaddMann

Community Contributor
Jan 17, 2020
Visit site
Not sure if that's true. Picture below is Newegg's power calculator. I checked Be Quiet too and it came out with about the same usage. I can hardly imagine that fans or even watercooling requires 300 more watts.

EDIT: Including Be Quiet's calculator.

Guru3D recommends 550W. I'm not 100% sure about it but I think they can be trusted in what they say.
MSI's recommended PSU is 650W for an RTX2070S.

So you are going to say they know better than the manufacturer? Best of luck to ya

It's very well-known that GPU manufacturers deliberately overstate the PSU requirements of GPUs. It often seems to be supposed that it's to take into account no-brand PSUs that say 1000W but really mean 300W-with-a-chance-of-detonation. Like @Kaamos_Llama says. I can believe it.

The card's TDP (215W) of course isn't a power requirement but is a reasonable indicator of the ballpark - as above, it's sensible to go to actual reviews of the hardware that measure real-world power draw (apparently 219W sutained Furmark as above). And there are websites like those mentioned by @Inspireless Llama as well as https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator which also provide recommendations for PSUs if you input your system details. These tend to be based on real-world information, assuming a respectable quality PSU.

Of course, certain specific models of GPU are pre-overclocked and can have a relatively higher power draw as a result.

But even an RTX 2070 Super HOF by Galax which is pretty well the beefiest RTX 2070 Super on the market is still south of 300W:

The next biggest power draw will be the CPU. Depending on OC or not. But ~100W or so:
Under load.

The mobo, HDD, SSD, fans, bells, whistles etc all each use very small amounts of power. So yeah, a 600W+ PSU is more than fine, as long as it's an okay model. :)

TRENDING THREADS