GOTY 2019 discussion thread

PCG Phil

UK Editor In Chief
Staff member
Dec 10, 2019
Visit site
It's a new year, but that doesn't mean we can't have a calm, considered discussion on the old one. What was your favourite game? What surprised you? What game didn't you get time to check out because you accidentally spent the entire year playing Warcraft/LoL/Destiny 2/etc...

Here's PCG's own GOTYs, for reference

Best Ongoing Game: Sea of Thieves
Best Remake: Resident Evil 2
Best Character: Untitled Goose Game
Best Action Game: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
Best Setting: Control
Best Expansion: Final Fantasy 14: Shadowbringers
Best Comedy Game: What the Golf?
Best Strategy Game: Total War: Three Kingdoms
Best Design: Slay the Spire
Best Open World Game: Red Dead Redemption 2
Best FPS: Apex Legends
Best Adventure Game: Outer Wilds
Game of the Year: Disco Elysium

Reactions: SWard

PCG Phil

UK Editor In Chief
Staff member
Dec 10, 2019
Visit site
Yeah, Anno was my choice when we did our team Personal PIcks. Really good to see that team finally make a proper follow up to 1404.

Reactions: Pagan

Zoid

Community Contributor
TW Three Kingdoms was a stylish way of blending the hero system from TW Warhammer and a bit of its fantasy flavor with a more traditional and historic TW campaign. Certainly a worthwhile newcomer to the venerable franchise.

I've been having a ton of fun with The Outer Worlds. A game that brings fresh eyes to the Fallout formula in an original, colorful sci-fi setting? Of course I was going to love it. It's beautiful to look at (except for the sickening wavy cloud glitch), it has companions that I actually care about and are actually fun rather than frustrating, and it has good music and voice work. It is the Firefly game I always wanted but never got, until now!

Those good games aside, my game of the year is without a shadow of a doubt Untitled Goose Game. It has been a long time since I've played a game so original, charming, and pure. Lots of video games bring me entertainment. Untitled Goose Game brings me joy.

Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
For me it's gotta be RDR2 (I know, shocker). Disco Elysium is a close second, but I find I really have to be in a particular mood to play it. With RDR2 I always enjoy sitting for a spell.

Just so many awesome systems to play around with in RDR2. I'm really getting into hunting, for instance. I just found out about the leatherworking tools and how I can use them to upgrade my bag size, so I'm all about the perfect pelts right now (also I want that dumb buffalo hat).

Beyond the systems, I really enjoy just exploring the world and finding all the dinosaur bones/cards/treasure, etc. Can't wait to try the online portion once I'm done with the single player portion (which admittedly could be a long-ass time).

TRENDING THREADS