Gigabyte 2060S - Buzzing fan problem

May 16, 2020
Visit site
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQRhHw39Gc0

Hi, i got myself a brand new system with Cooler master MB520 case and 2060S graphics card. I had a noise coming out of my case so i followed the sound and it appearently comes from one of the fans of my GPU. I posted the video above how it sounds like. I didnt record from below the fans to show them, because the light isnt enough, and it looks perfectly fine anyway, it just makes this sound for absolutely no reason and it vibrates just a little bit. The problem times are totally random, it can be so often or wait some time, i have no idea what triggers it or if i have to do something manually on my PC, so nothing to say what causes this problem.

There is a better explanation in the comment part of the video.

I did a lot of search, some places call is coil whine and there is nothing you can do, some people say its a physical thing you can tighten up your fans etc. Do you have any solutions in your mind? Its driving me crazy and i dont have much time to replace this with a new one atm.

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
Do you mean these cracking kind of noices? To me it doesn't sound like coil whine, the video posted below does. For me it more sounds like there is something blocking a fan. Now I have to say I don't have any experience with coil whine, I've never had a component with that issue.

May 16, 2020
Visit site
Do you mean these cracking kind of noices? To me it doesn't sound like coil whine, the video posted below does. For me it more sounds like there is something blocking a fan. Now I have to say I don't have any experience with coil whine, I've never had a component with that issue.

Mine is diffrent than this, so i guess my problem is diffrent, which makes me happy. Because as long as i read, the coil whine problem is not solvable. But my fan looks perfectly fine physically when i plug it off from the case and control, there is not anything that hits the fan while working. I think i might try to tighten up the screws that are holding the fan

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
I think you should be careful with messing with the GPU physically though. If there's warranty on it, I'd double check if that breaks warranty or not. Otherwise you might just want to contact support and see what they can do, either provide a solution or replace the card.

EDIT: There's a comment on Youtube that says it's caused by the fans stopping and starting again. You couldd try making the fans running all the time, with 20% at their lowest speed and see if that helps with the issue.

Another one says it's the constant switching in fans speed, so another thing you could try is flattening the fanspeed curve.

Reactions: Frindis
I did read one a couple of forums that similar noise could be because of dry fans. I don't know how easy it is to open and check for this problem though. @Inspireless Llama last advice for sure if the card is new and even if used you could also call the hardware manufacturer and explain the problem to them.

I actually had a similar noise on my own GPU fan and I found out it was because I had been cleaning the dust of them while not holding them still, so the rotation of the blades got messed up. I case you did the same mistake as I did:)

If it's a 2060 Super it will be under warranty. Before you start tightening things or doing anything else physical to it, best to contact the manufacturer.

It could be an issue with the fans stopping and starting, EVGA's early 2000 series cards were notorious for it

May 16, 2020
Visit site
Thank you for your replies

I kinda get the issue now. I've been looking and searching since days, and now i can comment.

Its something physical. I think the card has to stand parallel to the ground in the case, but mine is just a little looking downside from the side that looks to led fans. When i lift my card up from that, side where there is no leg or support, the card becomes actually parallel and the sound "mostly" goes away. The sound is still there, but its come to a level that its not that disturbing anymore. My english is bad, so im hoping you can understand what i mean. I'll show you with a picture.

I ended up doing something funny to make it stand parallel. I cut a foam swimming noodle that was in my house and made a column for the card so it will stay stable. It looks like this :D

But I need a better solution soon. I'll probably use a thin sting to connect the card to the top of the case so it can hold it there.

By the way, in case you say this is a screw problem, i also thought of this immediately and tightened up the screws again and again but no, it is not getting better. Its just kinda heavy on the other side.

TRENDING THREADS