Gaming Settings

Nov 26, 2023
Visit site
I first put this in Gaming Hardware but then thought it would be best here

When I bought/built my PC I was coming from consoles. PS5 wasn't due out until around 6 months later and I built my PC to the equivalent power of the upcoming PS5:
Windows 10
Ryzen 7 3800X processor
Nvidea RTX 2070 Super
32 GB RAM
Monitor is 1080P

When I first bought it I could play every game at Ultra settings as all the games recommended settings were far below mine. Now many games are above my card in recommended settings. Two examples are Allan Wake 2 and Robocop which both have graphic card settings in the RTX 3000 series

What I am asking is what kind of settings using the 2 games above as examples should I set my PC to play the equivalent graphics as PS5 using a 1080P monitor?

I know the above games can be played on PS5 but the settings will be constant so will not be at recommended settings of a PC

Reactions: Sarafan

Zloth

Community Contributor
GeForce Experience, which should install with your video card, can look at your setup and automatically pre-set quite a few games for you.

"Recommended" settings don't mean much, IMHO. Minimum settings mean a lot, but I've still got no clue what 'recommended' is even supposed to mean. Is that what you need to get to 60 frames per second on a 1080p monitor? Is that what you need to get your graphics to look like the graphics in the advertising screenshots? Did the publisher work out some deals with NVIDIA and/or AMD? Is that the setup that the bulk of the play testers used? <shrug>

Sarafan

Community Contributor
I've still got no clue what 'recommended' is even supposed to mean. Is that what you need to get to 60 frames per second on a 1080p monitor? Is that what you need to get your graphics to look like the graphics in the advertising screenshots? Did the publisher work out some deals with NVIDIA and/or AMD? Is that the setup that the bulk of the play testers used?
Yeah, recommended system requirements can mean different things in different games. That's why it's becoming more popular to reveal more detailed requirements involving detail level, FPS and resolution. But these usually can be found on particular game's social media as Steam tends to publish only minimum and recommended requirements.

As for the OP question, it's quite hard to find the exact detail equivalent on PC. From my experience, consoles usually use a mix of medium and high settings (given that there are Ultra settings on PC). You should experiment a little to find a compromise between quality and performance. I wouldn't force the exact detail level as on consoles regardless of FPS number. Games on consoles are much better optimized because there's only a single hardware configuration there. There's countless number of configurations on PC...

Nov 26, 2023
Visit site
The best thing to do would be to find guides or videos by Digital Foundry. They look into the technical side of games and usually investigate the console versions to find what quality settings are being used compared to Ultra on PC.
I looked at Digital Foundry and it helped me a lot about Alan Wake 2 and the video showed and explained where to set the graphics to the equivalent of PS5 as well as the new Xbox. It also showed comparisons between a 1080 graphics card, 5700XT and RTX2080, the next one up from my card, at PS5 settings.

1080 struggled with sometimes having an fps in the teens, 5700XT was OK but sometimes dipped down to 30fps and RTX2080 did fine and never went to 30fps

It said with ray tracing to use DLSS. I tried this but it was dodgy as some graphics especially with building windows pixelated so turned ray tracing completely off but I've heard from PS5 friends that ray tracing does not work well with any game. Without ray tracing everything is fine.

I think I will use Digital Foundry for every game I buy from now on as I think most future games will have the same graphics as Robocop and Alan Wake 2. I greatly thank you for telling me about this site.

I looked at Digital Foundry and it helped me a lot about Alan Wake 2 and the video showed and explained where to set the graphics to the equivalent of PS5 as well as the new Xbox. It also showed comparisons between a 1080 graphics card, 5700XT and RTX2080, the next one up from my card, at PS5 settings.

1080 struggled with sometimes having an fps in the teens, 5700XT was OK but sometimes dipped down to 30fps and RTX2080 did fine and never went to 30fps

It said with ray tracing to use DLSS. I tried this but it was dodgy as some graphics especially with building windows pixelated so turned ray tracing completely off but I've heard from PS5 friends that ray tracing does not work well with any game. Without ray tracing everything is fine.

I think I will use Digital Foundry for every game I buy from now on as I think most future games will have the same graphics as Robocop and Alan Wake 2. I greatly thank you for telling me about this site.
Theyre really the best place for in depth analysis of that kind of thing, especially if you want to know what quality settings the consoles are using. Youre welcome.

Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts