Gaming routers?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
"Gaming" router gains are mostly marketing hype and offer very little actual improvement over similar "non-gaming" routers.

They may improve some very specific game routing, but definitely not worth the (overpriced) cost.

What router do you have now?

Reactions: Brian Boru
Jul 13, 2024
Visit site
"Gaming" router gains are mostly marketing hype and offer very little actual improvement over similar "non-gaming" routers.

They may improve some very specific game routing, but definitely not worth the (overpriced) cost.

What router do you have now?
I have the LInksys wrt3200acm.

Jul 13, 2024
Visit site
Not a bad router. What is it not doing for you? What do you want a new router to do that the current one isn't?
Not really saying it's bad, just 6 years old or so. I play COD modern warfare 3. Figured new up to date router would be better. I do like the geofence settings in the netduma router, certainly might help bring ping down. I feel like a lot of matches that my guns are shooting marshmallows lol. I got fiber 500 up and down. So, can't imagine my speed isn't fast enough.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Do you use a wired or wireless connection to your router? Wired is better for gaming performance, of course.

There are new features and standards in newer devices, but unless all of your network adapters are updated as well, much of that will be a moot point.

The Netduma does advertise some interesting features.

Jul 13, 2024
Visit site
Do you use a wired or wireless connection to your router? Wired is better for gaming performance, of course.

There are new features and standards in newer devices, but unless all of your network adapters are updated as well, much of that will be a moot point.

The Netduma does advertise some interesting features.
Was using wired, but had to move pc to spare bedroom for new monitor. But, it's technically wired because I have a Net gear extender and using the ethernet port. Actually good speeds coming from it, getting very close to the 500 up and down. I tested the wifi with pc and higher ping and slower speeds compared to the wired extender.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Was using wired, but had to move pc to spare bedroom for new monitor. But, it's technically wired because I have a Net gear extender and using the ethernet port. Actually good speeds coming from it, getting very close to the 500 up and down. I tested the wifi with pc and higher ping and slower speeds compared to the wired extender.
That is more of a wireless connection. Still, seems your performance is solid.

I really don't see a need to change your router at this time.

upgrading now would only make sense if your download speed was way higher
Delivering 11520 Mbps on the 6 GHz band, 5760 Mbps on 5 GHz, and 1376 Mbps on 2.4 GHz.
and it would also include upgrading the adapter in the PC to even use 6ghz since all others only used 5 & 2.4

I didn't notice Wifi 7 was a thing. Guess in about 6 years or so I will have a router that can use it... around same I have a motherboard that can as well.

You should check your latency since it is more important than the ammount of bandwidth you have for gaming. As an example you can have a 10/10 line with 20ms and kick but with someone who has 1gb/1gb and 250 ms. (Assuming the 10/10 is enough for the game that is) What WiFi tend to do is making the latency go up, how ever, bit depending on the game, if you are below say.. 100 (give or take) to the game server you should usually be "fine".

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts