Gaming – Best on Win 11 or Win 10?

Hello

Yeah – are all games better on Windows 11?
Or are some better on 10?

At the moment I’m planning on using Win 10 boot as the main system for my everyday use as it should be more stable etc…

But am I wrong – is Windows 11 good enough and actually good to use as the main boot yet? Or is it still a flaming dumpster fire of issues?

This will be for a 3070 Ti, 12th gen system probably with dual boot Win 10/11 and either a 4K or 1440p monitor.

What are the Pros/Cons of both?

And is it different for new games vs old ones?

Do you have to do any compatibility mode nonsense these days with Win 10/11 for games (haven’t used either before)?

Anything else important let me know!

Thanks for your help

High Dynamic Range

If you have a monitor or TV which supports HDR, Win11 has auto-HDR which is supposed to apply HDR to old games.

DirectStorage

Info from disk to screen goes like this:
SSD
RAM
CPU decompress
RAM
GPU render on screen

With DirectStorage it goes:
SSD
RAM
VRAM on GPU
GPU render on screen

Cutting out the CPU loop should be a significant improvement in loading times.

Win 11 Glitches

I keep an eye on the tech press, and there's no major concern. If you have Win11, stick with it.

If you don't have Win11, there's no big reason to upgrade to it until you want to sometime before 2025 when Win10 'retires'.

More info:

High Dynamic Range

If you have a monitor or TV which supports HDR, Win11 has auto-HDR which is supposed to apply HDR to old games.

DirectStorage

Info from disk to screen goes like this:
SSD
RAM
CPU decompress
RAM
GPU render on screen

With DirectStorage it goes:
SSD
RAM
VRAM on GPU
GPU render on screen

Cutting out the CPU loop should be a significant improvement in loading times.

Win 11 Glitches

I keep an eye on the tech press, and there's no major concern. If you have Win11, stick with it.

If you don't have Win11, there's no big reason to upgrade to it until you want to sometime before 2025 when Win10 'retires'.

More info:

Good stuff. But what do you suggest for people building a new computer, and they have to buy one or the other to install from scratch? I like the sound of the auto-HDR in Win11, but I've heard anecdotal stories of people getting less FPS in Win11. My gaming rig isn't eligible for a Win11 upgrade, so I haven't been able to test out the difference for myself.

Reactions: ZedClampet
Even if Windows 10 is a little better still for frame rates in some cases and the new features arent really being used yet by games, building a new system I'd just put Win 11 on it.

They'll catch up soon via updates pretty quickly, and youll have to at some point anyway.

For games that is, its worth checking compatibility at program specific forums or sites if you're using music production software that may be lacking in support. You'll be able to update to 11 at some point in the future for free if needed. Microsoft hasnt released a time limit on it as far as I can find.

wow, the sky is falling still (grabs umbrella)

Dumb buying new PC now and putting 10 on it, since in 5 years you would need to upgrade to 11 anyway. Sure, its a free upgrade but not worth the hassle really.

Windows 10 is still not perfect, no version of windows is.

There is an entire industry based on making almost everything Microsoft do look bad. Every version of windows 10 has had fear mongering applied to it. If you believed them, you should be on Win 10 version 1507 still. Shame some people do. There are over 100 million PC with win 10 on them, the percentage of them affected by version updates is tiny but is broadcast to the world as "this could happen to you" ... but then, you could also be hit by lightning, do you hide inside your house all day?

My advice is try it yourself. I been using it since August and it just feels like windows to me. Its not better or worse, just new.

• Love
Reactions: Brian Boru
what do you suggest for people building a new computer
I agree with @Kaamos_Llama and @Colif above, which is what I implied:
If you have Win11, stick with it
For a new installation, get Win11.

There is an entire industry based on making almost everything Microsoft do look bad
So true. They do pull some clangers, around the same amount as other big companies, but their record is to keep at it and improve incrementally.

There are over 100 million PC with win 10 on them, the percentage of them affected by version updates is tiny
It's around 1.5 billion. So if only 1 in 1,000 users has a problem, that's still 1,500,000 people shouting loudly and supporting the anti-MS industry. That's an awful lot of noise for a very tiny problem.

Good stuff. But what do you suggest for people building a new computer, and they have to buy one or the other to install from scratch? I like the sound of the auto-HDR in Win11, but I've heard anecdotal stories of people getting less FPS in Win11. My gaming rig isn't eligible for a Win11 upgrade, so I haven't been able to test out the difference for myself.

I got a little higher FPS on 10 than on 11, but that will probably eventually change. Even still, I went ahead and put 11 on my desktop because I had to do a clean install. I haven't had any problems with it except for occasionally having to look for settings that have moved.

I got a little higher FPS on 10 than on 11, but that will probably eventually change. Even still, I went ahead and put 11 on my desktop because I had to do a clean install. I haven't had any problems with it except for occasionally having to look for settings that have moved.
I have 11 on my main laptop and most work computers, just not my gaming PC. I like most of the changes. The only thing that I absolutely hate about 11 is now if you want to change your default browser from Edge to Chrome, you have to change like 100 settings instead of just 1. Other than that, I really like how they laid things out. I really like the new right-click menu in Windows Explorer. It makes more sense to me. Now I have to remember the old way every time I use Win10.

Reactions: Kaamos_Llama
if you want to change your default browser from Edge to Chrome, you have to change like 100 settings instead of just 1
It might be simpler to uninstall Edge, make Chrome default, then reinstall Edge.

look for settings that have moved
'God Mode' might suit. It's almost the same from one Win version to next since 7, apart from drop old stuff and add new.

Last edited:
I have 11 on my main laptop and most work computers, just not my gaming PC. I like most of the changes. The only thing that I absolutely hate about 11 is now if you want to change your default browser from Edge to Chrome, you have to change like 100 settings instead of just 1. Other than that, I really like how they laid things out. I really like the new right-click menu in Windows Explorer. It makes more sense to me. Now I have to remember the old way every time I use Win10.
they did say they would fix how you set defaults. Back to how it was in 10 is ideal.
I haven't clean installed 11 yet so still using all my defaults from 10, so I can hope they fix it before i reinstall. No plan on doing that any time soon either.

Settings - just use search, its what I do.
They moved them around to make you look for changes. And to make it look different to 10.

I would not upgrade yet, but i guess if your building a new system you could and give it a try. I play far to many 10+ year old games to want to even bother upgrading i don't need to make issues when there is no need. There is nothing in the new build that would improve my gaming experiance nor vid editing or recording or what ever. (yes i know they say it would, but in reality it's just not a big deal/change)

My comp works just fine and if it aint broke don't fix it. By the time win 10 sunsets or near that i'll update, and that's only because i'm forced to for security reasons, but for right now even raytracing is so rare grabbing a even an RTX seams like a waste unless your running on huge screens on a game released in the last year.

Game companies shoot for 5 year old tech for the most part so keep that in mind. I see posts all the time from folks using win 11 a i11 and a 30 series on so many games i play complainging about issues and how X game sucks because there brand new comp they spent 3k for isn't running the game. Be prepared to jump through hoops to get some games working. (of course that depends on what your playing) It takes games a while to update and win 11 a while to make patches that older things will work seamlessly. Maybe win 11 is the magic OS that doesn't have issues, but i wouldn't hold my breath.

Good luck.. with the new build. :)

Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS