Games not working on build

Feb 6, 2022
Visit site
I have this pc. It consists of an intel dh67bl mother board. an intel Core i7-2600 3.4ghz 5gt/s processor-sr00b I think is the model number-. And has an amd radeon r9 390x graphics card and 8 gb of ram. I downloaded assassin's creed unity and the Witcher 3 from steam and they are both crashing without me actually being able to play them even though it says I meet or exceed the minimum required specs. As the initial game menu loads there's a bunch of white blocks that appear on the screen and then the game crashes. IDK if this has something to do with the hardware not being compatible or if something is wrong with the gpu. If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate the input.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2022
Visit site
Side note the Witcher does actually work with all the settings turned to low, but I can't even start assassin's creed to get to that point. Another thing I should note is that I can play halo infinite on medium settings which is strange to me because it has higher requirements then either of those two games. I have occasionally had halo crash, but it works 80% of the time or so.

Last edited:
Side note the Witcher does actually work with all the settings turned to low, but I can't even start assassin's creed to get to that point. Another thing I should note is that I can play halo infinite on medium settings which is strange to me because it has higher requirements then either of those two games.

Assassins' Creed: Unity was buggy when it was released and could still be buggy.

Feb 6, 2022
Visit site
Makes sense. I thought the Witcher was working but after 20 minutes or so it crashed also. Could an outdated bios cause problems running games? I read somewhere it doesn't generally cause many problems if the bios hasn't been updated in a long time but I'm not sure.

Hi! When you say its an I7 2600 5gt/s you mean its overclocked ?

If it is first step would be to remove the overclock and try again. If you find out the motherboard model you should be able to find the manual online somewhere. Look for how to clear CMOS, it may be a small jumper on 4 pins somewhere on the motherboard, or you can use a small screwdriver to bridge it.

With everything set to bone stock try again and see if the games work. You shouldnt have any problems running them as you said.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Feb 6, 2022
Visit site
It doesn't appear to be overclocked and resetting to stock didn't help. I read somewhere-correct me if it's wrong- that an i7 processor normally will draw around 70 watts of power. Mine doesn't seem like it will draw more than 30. Could that be the problem?

How is the airflow in your PC? What are your temps in game? Crashes can come from that too, usually a blue screen but not always the case.

Having white blocks pop up and your game crashing kinda sounds like theres a GPU problem, or GPU drivers. Id re-installing video drivers for your 390x. Seeing white blocks pop up on the screen and then the game crashing sounds like it might be something with the GPU.

Feb 6, 2022
Visit site
Temps are all fine. I've tried redownloading the drivers and that doesn't work either. Apparently, they haven't been making new drivers for this gpu for a while but it seems like most people can still play with it so I think it might be faulty. How do you guys feel about downloading aftermarket drivers? I read I might be able to download newer aftermarket drivers but IDK if that's a good idea or not.

Probably time to ask what your whole system specs are.

-PSU brand and exact model?
-What storage does the system have?
-What is the CPU cooler?
-What RAM is it using? (2x4gb 1333mhz ?)
-Windows version and is it with the latest updates installed?
-Which particular brand/model R9390X,
-What case is it all in?

Does it only crash with Witcher 3 and Assassins Creed Unity? Can you play any other games ok, and does it ever crash on desktop? Can you run a CPU stress test like Prime 95 blend test for 15 minutes without errors or crashes? What are your GPU and CPU temperature under stress?

Can all be useful for someone to know when troubleshooting.

I don't think you have driver problems due to them being old, they stopped supporting your card in June and the games you are talking about are way older then that. Did you do a full clean install of the GPU drivers? Sometimes just installing over the top doesn't work properly and its an easy thing to do to be sure.

As @DXCHASE said white block type artifacts sounds like it could be a VRAM problem, in which case we can't help you I'm afraid, you'd need to borrow another video card and test it to see for sure. Similarly if its a PSU issue, the only way to know for sure is to try another one.

One easy thing to do is to pull out the card and make sure its seated properly and all power cables are properly attached at both ends. If there's a second PCI-e slot its worth giving it a try too and testing.

Few things there, have a look and see. Maybe someone else will have more ideas as well :)

Reactions: Brian Boru
Feb 6, 2022
Visit site
I'll get all the exact specs of everything compiled and post that but I ended up buying a Radeon rx550 with 4gb of ram, which is a lower end graphics card, and all of my games are working fine now. I did try cleaning all the drivers and everything and that didn't work. And like you said the games are much older than the newest drivers so it doesn't seem like that would be the problem. I'm pretty sure the gpu was faulty in some way.

TRENDING THREADS