Question Games leave fullscreen at random

Dec 2, 2021
Visit site
Hi,

I'm making this post because I have a strange issue, and I didn't really find any answer on the web.

When I'm playing my games in fullscreen, at some point which seems random, it's like my game is leaving the fullscreen mode, but not really, it's hard to explain.

There will be a blink, windows taskbar will appear at the bottom, and on the game the mouse will appear in the middle of the screen (customized in the game style, not like the default windows pointer), but I almost always play with a controller. So kinda like if I was playing in window borderless mode, I guess ?

Sometimes, it's pretty harmless. I'll just press any button on the controller and the game is back taking back the whole screen space and I can continue playing with my controller.

Other times, it's a bit more annoying. Either the game simply crash like for Tails of Iron, or it will cause minor graphics issues like for Greedfall.

Looking around on the internet, I think maybe it has something to do with notifications, and/or Windows Fullscreen Optimization.

I turned on Game Mode, disabled Discord notifications which is basically the only other program running when I play.

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9400F CPU @ 2.90GHz 2.90 GHz
RAM: 8,00 Go
GPU: Gefore GTX 1660 SUPER

Reactions: Brian Boru
Welcome to the forum :)

something to do with notifications
Whenever I get something like that, it's because of my reminder system, so I suggest looking into notifications some more.

Have a look in Task Manager, especially at the Background Processes.

It's odd tho, clearly whatever it is is disconnecting your controller temporarily. Which suggests it's messing with your Input Device selection. I have Logitech interrupt me nightly, but it's so minor I haven't bothered chasing it down.

Look at Input Devices in Device manager and disable any you don't use. What does that leave you with?

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any Microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

it doesn't remove anything, it just stops programs auto loading with windows. Often they can be the cause of odd problems.

Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS