Freesync monitor advice

Feb 9, 2020
Visit site
So im ordering stuff for my first gaming pc and im going with AMD because Nvidias price/performance annoys me. Im voting with my wallet here.
Im all good on the components but i cant seem to decide on a monitor.

- I obviously want freesync/freesync 2 (not to sure what the difference is but i imagine freesync 2 is better?)
- 1440p
- 144 Hz
- 27 inch (although i wouldnt mind 24 or even 32 if it ticked all of the other boxes)
- Preferably black/white/silver. I hate how companies insist on having red somewhere on their product, it really ruins it for me because my setup is black/white/silver. Been looking at the LG 27GL850 which seems to be a favorite among many but i just know that when i wake up in the morning its going to bug me seeing that random áss red on the back of it when everything else is white, even my desk.
Not a fan of gamer aesthetics, preferably no RGB but if it does have RGB whatever i'll just have it static white or turn it off.
- I dont have a preferred panel but i'd like it to be fast while not looking terrible in terms of colors and all that. I dont care about viewing angles.

Thanks!

Reactions: Rensje
Considering your wants (and needs), I think a good alternative to the LG panel you mentioned would be this, the Gigabyte Aorus FI27Q. Bullet points:
  • 1440p
  • 165hz
  • 10-bit IPS panel
  • FreeSync Premium & G-Sync compatible
  • Full range of ergonomic adjustment
  • Software-controlled OSD (if you want it)
It's about as expensive as the LG monitor is, and has a very comparable feature set. I would say it has an edge over the LG in terms of design and software, but that's taste and preference rather than facts. I'm not that well versed in display tech, but I like the Gigabyte in this case.

Another strong contender could be the AOC Agon AG273QX, if you can stomach the lettering on the bottom bezel and the small logo on the back. It's a beautiful and bright VA panel that ticks all the boxes too.

Reactions: ZeushyN1
Jan 6, 2020
Visit site
The FreeSync branding is a little confusing because it's just been rebranded, so there is a mix of old and new FreeSync designations in the wild. What officially exists now is FreeSync, FreeSync Premium, and FreeSync Premium Pro (previously branded as FreeSync 2 HDR). You can read about each one here.

Another thing to potentially keep in mind is the G-Sync Compatible program. NVIDIA has been testing FreeSync monitors to see which ones pass muster to run G-Sync w/o any issues and without an actual G-Sync module inside. So if you're interested in G-Sync (i.e., you own a GeForce GPU), a G-Sync Compatible monitor is a way to get it while still potentially voting with your wallet—as far as know, NVIDIA doesn't charge anything for this certification, though it likely does for the branding. You can read more all that here.

On paper, you have quite a few options. The ones listed above are candidates, as are monitors like Samsung's 27-inch CJG56 (curved VA panel, 144Hz, FreeSync, 1440p, $279.99 on Amazon) and Dell's 32-inch S3220DGF (curved VA panel, 165Hz, 1440p, FreeSync Premium Pro, $369.59 at Dell).

Reactions: ZeushyN1 and Rensje
Feb 9, 2020
Visit site
Considering your wants (and needs), I think a good alternative to the LG panel you mentioned would be this, the Gigabyte Aorus FI27Q. Bullet points:
  • 1440p
  • 165hz
  • 10-bit IPS panel
  • FreeSync Premium & G-Sync compatible
  • Full range of ergonomic adjustment
  • Software-controlled OSD (if you want it)
It's about as expensive as the LG monitor is, and has a very comparable feature set. I would say it has an edge over the LG in terms of design and software, but that's taste and preference rather than facts. I'm not that well versed in display tech, but I like the Gigabyte in this case.

Another strong contender could be the AOC Agon AG273QX, if you can stomach the lettering on the bottom bezel and the small logo on the back. It's a beautiful and bright VA panel that ticks all the boxes too.
The FreeSync branding is a little confusing because it's just been rebranded, so there is a mix of old and new FreeSync designations in the wild. What officially exists now is FreeSync, FreeSync Premium, and FreeSync Premium Pro (previously branded as FreeSync 2 HDR). You can read about each one here.

Another thing to potentially keep in mind is the G-Sync Compatible program. NVIDIA has been testing FreeSync monitors to see which ones pass muster to run G-Sync w/o any issues and without an actual G-Sync module inside. So if you're interested in G-Sync (i.e., you own a GeForce GPU), a G-Sync Compatible monitor is a way to get it while still potentially voting with your wallet—as far as know, NVIDIA doesn't charge anything for this certification, though it likely does for the branding. You can read more all that here.

On paper, you have quite a few options. The ones listed above are candidates, as are monitors like Samsung's 27-inch CJG56 (curved VA panel, 144Hz, FreeSync, 1440p, $279.99 on Amazon) and Dell's 32-inch S3220DGF (curved VA panel, 165Hz, 1440p, FreeSync Premium Pro, $369.59 at Dell).

Thanks for the information guys!
I think im about to decide on the Asus Tuf VG27AQ. Its around on many peoples recommendations and it seems to be a solid monitor. Yes it has that red ring on the stand but if it ends up bothering me to much i'll just mount it and be done with it.
I almost went with the Gigabyte Aorus FI27Q but after doing A LOT of research i came across some people who are saying that its not stable at 144 Hz + adaptive sync and if you want a smooth gaming experience you have to lower it to 120 Hz. They are also suggesting that this was deliberate because the FI27Q-P (which is a lot more expensive) model doesnt have this issue. If its true then thats some nasty practice coming from Gigabyte.
Have you guys heard anything about this? I'd like to be able to play at 144 Hz thats kind of the whole point.

Last edited:
This might depend on your region (and you might have gone ahead with the purchase already) but Gigabyte do have a zero bright pixel policy for their AORUS monitors. Whether they honour that, or how simple it is to get them to do so, I can't say, But it's an attractive feature for some people...

TRENDING THREADS