Freespace Open - the best way to play the legendary Descent: Freespace and Freespace 2

Sarafan

Community Contributor
Recently I decided to play the Freespace series once again. I finished the first installment only once - 15 years ago or so. I knew about the existence of Freespace Open back then, but I decided to play the original version to have the original experience. This time I went with the fully modded version. This requires an open-source version of Freespace 2 engine called Freespace Open. The community automatized the entire mod installation process with a great launcher called Knossos. Basically you install the original Freespace 2, then Knossos and launch the application. Then you have to point the installation folder of original Freespace 2 and voila! You have access to impressive amount of mods via Knossos.

The most noteworthy modification for people who want to play Freespace 2 with upgraded graphics is the Freespace Upgrade MediaVPs 4.6 pack. It contains high detail ships, backgrounds and other objects. You can also optionally install even better assets (strongly recommended!), HD menu, remixed music, HD game cut-scenes and briefing animations. For people who want to play Freespace 1 on Freespace Open engine there's the Freespace Port modification. Upgrade it with Freespace Port MediaVPs (some files are shared with Fresspace Upgrade MediaVPs 4.6) and you can play Freespace 1 on Freespace 2 engine with all eye candy modifications which make the game look quite modern. The only thing I had to change is anti-aliasing. The built-in is insufficient. So I went to graphics card driver options and turned AA and transparent AA to 8x. With this modification the game looks incredible!

Freespace 1 and Freespace 2 are one of the best space-sims in history. Impressive gameplay, which features ships of enormous size, interesting story and great narration are the most recognizable aspects of these games. The community has done an incredible amount of work to upgrade the graphics of both games, but it was a nightmare to install all of this manually. Knossos makes it a breeze. It's probably the best moment to revisit the Freespace games. There's also a lot of story mods (including unofficial continuation - FS2 ends with a big cliffhanger...) and even total conversions. Now I'm going back to Freespace 2... ;)

Last edited:

Sarafan

Community Contributor
I don't think I've ever realised that Freespace and Freelancer are two different games. I've played Freelancer, but I don't think I've ever played Freespace before.
On the contrary, I've never played Freelancer. :D Freespace isn't open-world. You don't choose missions and have to do them one by one. But this allowed the developers to focus on the story (or more precisely on the narration) which is very good.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts