Question Frame time causing stuttering, but I have Gsync and Vsync enable in control panel.

Jul 31, 2020
Visit site
I originally made a post here with issues related about stuttering in games and thought it could be Gsync or Vsync but now found out its related to inconsistent frame time. I just wanted advice on what I can do to make sure it keeps constant in games.

My specs are again
7700k at 4.5hz
Ddr4 2666 16gb ram
Asus rox strix 1070

Last edited:
Probably best to continue in the original topic because there's a lot of info in there relevant to this tbh.

Maybe ask a moderator to merge the topics?

You need to establish what is causing the inconsistent frametimes.

And what happens at the same time e.g. is there a spike in GPU/CPU load? do GPU or GPU frequencies drop? Is there a spike in disk usage? Does some software start running or performing tasks in the background (and then stop)?

For instance, things like explosions, fire, smoke (e.g. from gunfire) can be more demanding than just running through a street. If your framerate drops when those happen then you might just need to turn settings down if you're aiming for a given framerate

Jul 31, 2020
Visit site
Probably best to continue in the original topic because there's a lot of info in there relevant to this tbh.

Maybe ask a moderator to merge the topics?

You need to establish what is causing the inconsistent frametimes.

And what happens at the same time e.g. is there a spike in GPU/CPU load? do GPU or GPU frequencies drop? Is there a spike in disk usage? Does some software start running or performing tasks in the background (and then stop)?

For instance, things like explosions, fire, smoke (e.g. from gunfire) can be more demanding than just running through a street. If your framerate drops when those happen then you might just need to turn settings down if you're aiming for a given framerate
Ive notice when FPS drops the frame time goes up a lot which causes stuttering and honestly it happens when just moving the camera a bit and happen in all games. My cpu usage is pretty consistent around 50% Depending on the game. I’ll check to see if anything else spikes. I mean I just want a smooth experience so I’m not too worried about what my FPS Is. Which is why I got a g sync monitor so I don’t Get tearing but idk what’s causing the frame time frame to spike a lot.

Ive notice when FPS drops the frame time goes up a lot
Frametime is the time between frames. So 100fps is 10ms frametime. 60fps is 16.67ms.

You can get frametime increases without framerate changing of course. But if framerate is changing, frametime will.

Framerate changing when you move the camera is kind of normal, because you're asking the game to display something different which might be less demanding or more demanding.

It's not clear to me whether what you're talking about is
a) normal framerate variation that appears excessively choppy because gsync isn't working properly on your system
b) actual stutter due to poor hardware performance
c) stutter due to asking too much of the hardware
d) combination of the above
e) none of the above

From what I recall of your other post (easier if this were all one topic!) it always sounded to me like gsync wasn't actually working properly.

Reactions: Frindis

TRENDING THREADS