Question FPS Issues with my ASUS GL553VE Gaming Laptop.

Oct 14, 2021
Visit site
Hey everyone! Let me preface this with the fact that I'm not really tech-savvy in terms of hardware. It's one of the reasons I even bought a gaming laptop in the first place as I don't have to assemble everything from scratch. So I don't really have too many ideas about what's going on with my Laptop. Now that that's out of the way..

1. Computer Specs:
Asus ROG GL553VE-FY047T Summary
Asus ROG GL553VE-FY047T is a Windows 10 Home laptop with a 15.60-inch display that has a resolution of 1920x1080 pixels. It is powered by a Core i7 processor and it comes with 8GB of RAM. The Asus ROG GL553VE-FY047T packs 1TB of HDD storage.
Graphics are powered by Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti. Connectivity options include Wi-Fi 802.11 ac, Bluetooth, Ethernet and it comes with 4 USB ports (1 x USB 2.0, 2 x USB 3.0, 1 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 (Type C)), HDMI Port, Multi Card Slot, Mic In, RJ45 (LAN) ports.

Taken from: https://gadgets.ndtv.com/asus-rog-gl553ve-fy047t-5342

2. The Issue:

As the title states. I'm having FPS issues whenever I play a game on my laptop. I'm not talking about running high-end games on High to Ultra settings. I'm talking about games that, according to my PC specs, I could easily run on medium-high settings with a stable 60 fps. An Example of this is FF14(I get 50 fps) and Divinity 2 (I get like 30-40 fps on Medium settings.) I should be able to run these games without that losing that much FPS, but alas that's not the case here.

The even weirder issue here is that: Whenever I get my laptop cleaned (Remove dust, and reapply new thermal phase) every 3 months. It goes back to normal, and gives me high FPS again, but again after another 3 months. (I'm assuming the bags of dust have collectively gathered again). The low fps resurfaces again. So I'm stuck in a position where I have to get my laptop cleaned, with a new thermal paste every 3 months otherwise I'd have to suffer these FPS Problems.

I need your help in diagnosing this problem.

Honestly, my guess is it's a cooling problem with my fans, or perhaps my graphics card is damaged? Again I'm not really tech-savvy so I'm just guessing here. Any guesses would be appreciated. If anything. I could ask the laptop repairman to do what you guys suggest. Thank you!

Reactions: Brian Boru
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you check and see what BIOS version you're on at the time of writing? You might want to check and see what your OS version is as well. As for your GPU drivers, might want to see if reinstalling it(link in my sig space) helps alleviate your FPS.

If you think it's a thermal issue, keep an eye on the temps using HWMonitor.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Welcome to the forum :)

What's your laptop's environment like, especially with regard to dust?
Put it in its carrying case when not in use, instead of leaving it exposed—especially if in a dusty or windy place.

new thermal paste every 3 months
Are you talking about paste between CPU and motherboard? Why every 3 months?? That seems totally excessive, maybe your repair guy is padding his bill…

How much free space in your HDD? Do you defrag it regularly?

a cooling problem with my fans, or perhaps my graphics card is damaged
Unlikely, those should have immediate effect rather than be fine for 10 weeks. Sounds very much more likely to be an environmental or maintenance issue, like dust accumulating or HDD getting full and/or fragmented.

TRENDING THREADS