Question FPS drops

Mar 31, 2021
Visit site
Here's my build:
- Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 8400 (6-Core, 9MB Cache, up to 4GHz
- 8GB Single Channel DDR4 at 2666MHz (1x8GB)
- NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX 1060 with 6GB GDDR5
- 1TB 7200 rpm SATA HDD - 460W APFC PSU Air Cooled Chassis.
I've added a 8gb ram stick and a 250go SSD.
Motherboard is not sure but online research shows me this one:
Brand: DELL
Model: IPCFL-SC CN-0VDT73

For faster reference, i have an alienware aurora r7 2017.

Now, whenever i play any game , i have fps drops to 0 and it can last up to 20 seconds or so before working again. My temperature looks good, i ventilated by removing a side panel and it doesn't change anything. My graphics card driver are up to date. I believe it might be the PSU. What do you guys think?

Hi.

It could also be the PSU, I guess its getting towards warranty time. Unfortunately the only way to know would be to replace it and test. Before that you should exhaust all other possibilities that we can think of.

Did you do a full clean reinstall of the GPU drivers? Did you clone a Windows install to the new SSD? If you did it might need repairing or reinstalling fully from scratch as sometimes cloning can cause problems. Try running a scan

Failing those I would suggest taking the new stick of RAM out and seeing if it continues to happen. If it does you may have a bad stick or a bad RAM slot on your motherboard. I assume you are running the RAM at stock settings? It sounds like the kind of things that happens when RAM is acting up.

It would also be good to know what your actual temperatures were, even if you tested with the side off. Your CPU might need the thermal paste replacing or your GPU could just have a lot of dust n the heatsink. Can you use something like HWinfo to tell us how hot your hottest CPU core and GPU core are while you are gaming for 10 minutes or more?

TRENDING THREADS