FPS drops gradually while playing until restart

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Nov 19, 2021
Visit site
The GTX1080 needs less power...
Well my GPU needs a 575W PSU and i have a 750W, plus my GPU only uses 1 8pin connector where the 1080 uses 2 8pin connectors. The pc came with a 650W and i also thought it didn't have enough power so i put n the 750W, but still the same issue...

What's the make and model of your 650W unit? How old was the unit by the time you swapped it out? If you can't try out a donor PSU which is reliably built that can deliver at least 650W of power to the entire system(borrowed from a friend or neighbor) then we can chalk this up to bad drivers from Nvidia's end.

That's an assumption though. Troubleshooting is where you try every possible avenue to rule out doubts.

Nov 19, 2021
Visit site
What's the make and model of your 650W unit?
Antec VP650 Plus
How old was the unit by the time you swapped it out?
3 Weeks
If you can't try out a donor PSU which is reliably built that can deliver at least 650W of power to the entire system(borrowed from a friend or neighbor) then we can chalk this up to bad drivers from Nvidia's end.
The 650W is not in anymore, it has a 750W now. I can try and borrow another psu from a friend.

What has me worried is that my 3060ti uses 1 8pin connector, a colleague has a 3060 and it uses 2 8pins. Does this matter?

What has me worried is that my 3060ti uses 1 8pin connector, a colleague has a 3060 and it uses 2 8pins. Does this matter?
No, it shouldn't so long as you connect all the connectors from the PSU to the GPU(among other things) to make sure that they receive the power they need in order to operate optimally. There are thumb rules with PSU's. One of them is if the PSU you have doesn't have the necessary connectors for your devices, you either have the wrong PSU for the job or the wrong components(without the PSU) for the job.

Not all AIB designs are the same...heck they don't use the same power regulators. They (can)use the same GPU chips on the board but the board design can be reengineered to meet a specific design objective/price point/demographic. Case in point, mini version discrete graphics cards have limited space and connectors but don't have limited power output from GPU's end.

Your colleague has the same GPU(and SKU) as you?

As for the 12pin connector mentioned, you referring to the EPS connectors at the top of the board near the CPU socket? If so, they are never counted cumulatively, they are calculated as 4pin or 8pin. So for your instance it's 1x4pin EPS and a 1x8pin EPS connector.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2021
Visit site
Your colleague has the same GPU(and SKU) as you?
No, he has a 3060, not a 3060ti.
No, it shouldn't so long as you connect all the connectors from the PSU to the GPU
Understood, well I am sure everything is connected as they should be. The thing is, if it's not connected properly or not getting enough power, won't it show from the beginning instead of after 1+ hours of running at 100%?

In that case, yes it does matter. Those are two different cards, then is the fact that AIB's will redesign the PCB or as they say, a non reference design to conform to their(the companies) parameters.

In my time troubleshooting, I've seen people run good hardware with a very lackluster PSU without so much as a twitch from their eyebrows for a good few years. Then I've seen people who ended up damaging their computers due to the same lackluster PSU in a matter of days. I've also seen high end hardware come DoA(dead on arrival, out of the box). So you're literally flipping a coin in the air and praying which way it lands. The only difference with reliably built PSU's is that they will give out without taking anything along for the ride...or if they do the brand that you bought off of will back their product and replace hardware damaged by said faulty PSU. Cheap PSU makers tend to give you a salute as you walk out of their store(or when you press checkout).

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian Boru
Nov 19, 2021
Visit site
I am sending the system back to the seller tomorrow because it's getting really inconvenient needing to restart every hour, they will test the GPU since that is what i found was the problem and if they can replicate the problem, they will replace the GPU to see if it fixes the issue. If it doesn't then I'll look into lending a PSU and see. I'll be back with what i've found.

^ Understood. We're on standby. If the system is going to be with them, ask them to put it through it's paces like you did, so they can do the heavy lifting on their end. It's a good idea to give them a list of all the things you've done so they're brought up to speed.

Nov 19, 2021
Visit site
^ Understood. We're on standby. If the system is going to be with them, ask them to put it through it's paces like you did, so they can do the heavy lifting on their end. It's a good idea to give them a list of all the things you've done so they're brought up to speed.
Okay so I got the system back, all they did was replace the SSD, I'm still experiencing the same issue, I've noticed in battlefield 2042 it happens after like 2 matches, and I can see with the "PerfOverlay.DrawFps 1" command a few numbers go down after a while, I have no idea what all the numbers mean but maybe someone here does (keep in mind my game settings are on the lowest possible)..
I'm so fed up, I'm considering getting another CPU because that's the only part I haven't replaced yet...
But it's expensive... Hope someone can help me solve this...
Images below for when I start to play vs when it gets unplayable.

Just starting
Afte 2 matches
W/Nvidia Overlay

TRENDING THREADS