For Controllers - Do you prefer vertical inverted or normal?

Do you prefer inverted or normal with a controller?

• Inverted

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Normal

Votes: 8 66.7%

• Total voters
If you're playing a 3D game with a controller, do you prefer the vertical inverted or normal? If you don't know what I mean, normal means you push up on the left stick, and your view moves up. Inverted means if you push up on the left stick, you look down.

My boys prefer normal, but I cannot play like that. I always have to get in the settings and change it to inverted. If I ever would run across a game that doesn't support inverted for some reason, I won't play it.

Think of it like flying a plane. If a pilot were to push the stick forward to go up, everyone would be in trouble. I picture it kind of like a seesaw with me on the close side, and my view on the other side. I need to pull myself back to get my view to go up. Or picture it like using a sniper rifle on a stand. You would push the back end of the rifle down to get the barrel and sites to go up.

So what is your preference?

Your boys are going to kill someone when they get their pilot's license. But I've always called the correct way "normal" and the idiot way "inverted". If I pull back on the stick of my plane and it goes up, that's normal. I've only played one game where it defaulted to the other way, and it was one of the Far Cry games. I couldn't get used to it and had to change it to THE CORRECT WAY in the options.

For pc gaming i don't invert but for joypads for some reason i have to invert the controls. I suspect its how my brain was wired up. Perhaps i percieve the pc screen and mouse pointer as a flat screen but when it comes to joypads i think in 3d? push analogue stick up is in reality tilting my head down and pulling back on the stick is pulling my head back.

Your boys are going to kill someone when they get their pilot's license. But I've always called the correct way "normal" and the idiot way "inverted". If I pull back on the stick of my plane and it goes up, that's normal. I've only played one game where it defaulted to the other way, and it was one of the Far Cry games. I couldn't get used to it and had to change it to THE CORRECT WAY in the options.
What? You've only played one game where it didn't default to inverted? Other than flight games, I've never seen one game where I didn't have to change it in the settings.

For pc gaming i don't invert but for joypads for some reason i have to invert the controls. I suspect its how my brain was wired up. Perhaps i percieve the pc screen and mouse pointer as a flat screen but when it comes to joypads i think in 3d? push analogue stick up is in reality tilting my head down and pulling back on the stick is pulling my head back.
Yeah, same for me. If I'm using keyboard and mouse, I want it normal to where pushing the mouse up makes the view go up. But controller, it had better be inverted. It's weird how they're different, isn't it?

What? You've only played one game where it didn't default to inverted? Other than flight games, I've never seen one game where I didn't have to change it in the settings.
I don't play games with controllers unless I'm flying or driving. In the Far Cry I mentioned, I just kept the controller next to my keyboard and whenever I got in a vehicle I picked it up.

You need to go sit in the corner and think about your use of controllers.

In most games, I do it "normally." However, if it's a 3D steering situation (airplanes, spaceships, flying carpets...) then I need to invert it. That even applies to mouse-driven systems - pulling the mouse toward me should make the nose go up.

I've played it both ways, including with pulling the mouse to go up. When playing Aer: Memories of Old, I switched it for my daughter because it was inverted by default and it only took me a few minutes to get used to it.

Jul 18, 2022
Visit site
I am strictly sticking with "Normal" because my brain can't comprehend using "Inverted". It took me the best part of three weeks to get used to flying in Hawx and Battlefield, in fact I am so bad at it in Battlefield that I refuse to operate a plane.

God knows what made me feel confident enough to fly a TIE Fighter in Star Wars Squadrons.

I am strictly sticking with "Normal" because my brain can't comprehend using "Inverted". It took me the best part of three weeks to get used to flying in Hawx and Battlefield, in fact I am so bad at it in Battlefield that I refuse to operate a plane.

God knows what made me feel confident enough to fly a TIE Fighter in Star Wars Squadrons.
I'm the complete opposite. My brain can't comprehend using "Normal."

Reactions: Kovanen and Pifanjr