Question First build - VGA light on MOBO - Aorus Z790 Elite AX x Geforce 4070 ti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 8, 2023
Visit site
Hi all!

My first build as many and can't get to connect a monitor to the computer :(

Powered it up, all fans and lights ok, it auto reset 2 times than stayed running until I disconnect it.

VGA light always on and when I disconnect, red light on graphic card goes on.

Didn't updated the BIOS as I still have no clue how to do it without a monitor (and the KF has no integrated graphics) and no way of testing the graphic card in another computer.
Can't see any damage on pins or whatsoever.

Thanks a lot for all the help available.

Here the parts, all newly bought:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-13900KF 3 GHz 24-Core Processor ($531.23 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 240 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($96.79 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 AORUS ELITE AX ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($239.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL46 Memory ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: Asus TUF GAMING OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti 12 GB Video Card ($849.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS GX 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro OEM - DVD 64-bit ($149.99 @ Adorama)
Monitor: Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQ 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Monitor ($259.49 @ Amazon)
Total: $2552.43
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-09-08 03:26 EDT-0400

Sep 8, 2023
Visit site
Hi! Thanks for your answer and warm welcome!
Screen is on, and working fine on my laptop.
I connected it to the graphic card HDMI
Didn’t test on motherboard HDMI has my CPU is a KF without integrated graphic card

Today I removed the graphic card and the light still on motherboard keeps on.

Should I try to update the bios? I should have bought an asus motherboard 😣😣

Reactions: Brian Boru
Sep 8, 2023
Visit site
Welcome to the forum :)

Is monitor switched on?

What cable are you using to connect the monitor?

Is monitor connected to motherboard or to the graphics card?

Sounds like you have the power connectors to the graphics card in place, yeah?
Got it. Updated the BIOS through the Q-Flash utility with a USB pen and connected the screen to the graphic card display port. All good! Thanks

• Love
Reactions: Brian Boru
Mar 27, 2024
Visit site
Ran into exactly this issue and have just fixed it! Posting here because I revisited this post a lot and just a BIOS update didn't work in my case.
issue turned out to be:
  1. I was using a pigtailed PCI-E power supply (so had two male ends of the same wire plugged into the GPU's power supply). You're not supposed to do this, apparently! Has to be two separate wires running from the PSU (I have bought the corsair 12VHPWR cable to replace the one that came with the GPU since I think I might have fried it with this mistake).
  2. Seems the Gigabyte Z790 aurous elite ax mobo doesn't have enough clearance for the GPU in the top PCI-E slot. Had to remove the thermal guard for the M2s it had mounted just below the slot for a few extra millimetres of space, and even then it took a lot of wiggling and a completely slack power cable to get it to actually turn on consistently. The little locking lever went even with the thermal guard in, but I think it was just a few millimetres shy of actually connecting because you get a proper clunk with the thermal guard gone.
Hope this saves somebody the 3 days of stress I've just endured!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts