(FF) Website uses lots of CPU

Jun 21, 2020
Visit site
Whenever I browse the PC Gamer website my CPU really ramps up and fans start spinning wild. Also it slows down my entire browser, for instance hovering a link will take a second or two before it highlights and clicking takes awhile before moving to another page. Is PC Gamer running mining bots or what?

On FireFox.

CParsons

Staff member
Whenever I browse the PC Gamer website my CPU really ramps up and fans start spinning wild. Also it slows down my entire browser, for instance hovering a link will take a second or two before it highlights and clicking takes awhile before moving to another page. Is PC Gamer running mining bots or what?

On FireFox.

No mining bots but there does seem to be an intermittent issue where that appears for some. The tech team is aware of it based on previous reports from here - https://forums.pcgamer.com/threads/pcgamer-com-website-increased-cpu-usage.3586/. Thanks for raising the issue.

Jun 21, 2020
Visit site
Any update on this? I went and took a peek and it's not exactly rocket science figuring out a major issue.

Looking at the performance monitor on FF it appears you have overlapping SetInterval and SetTimeout calls. Probably something like a timer calls a timer without removing the calling timer which makes the new timer call a timer but the first one calls the new one which calls another which has already called one that calls another etc. CPU builds up in task manager until it's 100% and after enough time browser locks up completely. Look here (these settimer/setinverval calls go on forever):

View: https://i.imgur.com/I97Rx9F.png

In task manager every other tab uses minimal power but PC Gamer is listed as "Very High" and the longer it is open the more CPU goes up. If left open long enough you can't even close the browser.

I spend as little time as possible on the page nowadays cause it's such a pain to browse.

Jun 21, 2020
Visit site
Been trying to block your broken (and easily fixed) recursive timer loop so I can view the website without melting my CPU and tried a plugin to selectively disable javascripts.

However when I do that I get a "
AD BLOCKER INTERFERENCE DETECTED
" warning and can't view the page.

FIX THIS. Just look at the screenshot, could fix that issue in 5 minutes or less. It's an obvious bug that ruins performance and taxes computers.

Jul 15, 2020
Visit site
It might be in some particular advertisement. When I look at the site (using Edge), my CPU is only at 12% and that's for my entire machine. I even let the video run.
The problem is with Firefox. Clean Windows intall here, Firefox just got installed, browsing PC Gamer and CPU fans start spinning like crazy, CPU is at a constant 25 / 35% load.

Sarafan

Community Contributor
Just noticed that I have the same problem on Firefox. Despite no animated adds on the main PC Gamer website, I have a constant 35-40% load on the CPU. It's not a big problem, but hardly any website puts so much load.

TRENDING THREADS