EA App - do you use it?

Sarafan

Community Contributor
The days of Origin are numbered. The client was officially dropped by EA in October this year. It still works, but players are advised to move to EA App.

I migrated only a few days ago. Everything went smooth. The EA App installer imported all of the data from Origin (except login for obvious purpose) and uninstalled automatically the outdated client. My first impression is quite good. EA App looks and works better. It still has some minor bugs though, but I suppose they'll be fixed in the future.

The biggest downside for me is that there's no plugin for GOG Galaxy yet, so it's impossible to integrate it with the new platform. We don't even know whether this will be possible at all. We'll have to wait and see whether the community will prepare the plugin. I have no hopes that EA will allow for official release. Origin plugin was also community made.

Did you migrate already to EA App? How do you like the new client?

The only connection I have with EA is because of what they put on Game Pass Ultimate. And to be honest, I don't think I've played any of their games on there.

Actually, I take that back. I looked to see what they have on there, and I am playing It Takes Two, and I've dabbled in Mass Effect. But I don't pay much attention to the apps.

I haven't used Origin as a game launcher in well over a year, but I do need it installed to play my Mass Effect & Dragon Age games on Steam. I haven't been forced to update from Origin to the EA App yet, but I know the time is fast approaching. Hopefully, when that occurs, there won't be any problems in launching EA games from Steam. But it's EA, so who knows how they will muck things up (Sorry, I'm a bit EA negative for the most part).

As far as using the EA App as a game launcher, I have no interest. The only possible exception to that is if the next Dragon Age or Mass Effect game is accessible only through the EA App (which I wouldn't put it past them). But otherwise, I'll only have it installed to play my DA & ME games through Steam.

it's EA, so who knows how they will muck things up
Thanks to @Sarafan for heads up, I went to update my Origin account email address—so long since I've been in there that it has my old one. Nope, couldn't do it—after getting 5 sequential security codes to my NEW address, I still couldn't get it changed :rolleyes:

Just had a look at my games there. I'd miss the 17 x C&C collection, but really, will I play any of them again now there's a remaster? Probably not. And that's about it.

Retailers having a launcher, that I can accept. Publishers, no—that's far too Apple-esque for my PC persona :) I won't sacrifice a beloved franchise because of it, but good luck getting me to buy one of your 'maybe' titles.

Reactions: mainer and Sarafan

Sarafan

Community Contributor
Nope, couldn't do it—after getting 5 sequential security codes to my NEW address, I still couldn't get it changed :rolleyes:

Check your account once again, as it could change after all. I had a quite similar situation.

I'd miss the 17 x C&C collection, but really, will I play any of them again now there's a remaster? Probably not. And that's about it.

And what about the rest of C&C games? :) Only Tiberian Dawn and Red Alert received remasters. Tiberian Sun and Red Alert 2 are both wonderful games. I also liked Tiberium Wars. It's more modern approach to the genre, but still a very good C&C game.

As far as using the EA App as a game launcher, I have no interest.
I think Ubisoft is the worst, as far as that goes. I have some older Ubisoft games that I bought on Steam, so I launch them through Steam. But instead of launching to the game, it just launches the Ubisoft client, and then makes me launch the game from that. That's a really sucky setup.

No EA fans here, as I see. :ROFLMAO:
There's a reason EA won the Golden Poo award a few years in a row. Lol

What is Middle Agent? Is it like broker vendor? Is it like licensing office official representative? I do not see the purpose of an extra piece of software application or app which does not have anything unique to offer. What is it exactly an Electronic Arts game launcher? What is that supposed to mean? I am not sure any of us actually understand the point, really honestly and truly especially with little to no information to go on here or elsewhere apparently.

Sarafan

Community Contributor
I think Ubisoft is the worst, as far as that goes. I have some older Ubisoft games that I bought on Steam, so I launch them through Steam. But instead of launching to the game, it just launches the Ubisoft client, and then makes me launch the game from that. That's a really sucky setup.

Nothing beats the way I played GTA V. I used GOG Galaxy to launch Epic, to launch Rockstar, to launch the game. :LOL:

not sure any of us actually understand the point
It's to give publisher access to you, mainly so they can market to you every time you launch one of their games—same as Steam, GOG and Epic do.

Galaxy to launch Epic, to launch Rockstar, to launch the game
Now that's making the most of the open world concept!

I always use desktop icons to launch my games, much handier than firing up a launcher and then finding the game to launch it.

Steam. But instead of launching to the game, it just launches the Ubisoft client, and then makes me launch the game from that
So you have to click something in Ubi Connect to launch?

Are those very old games? I have Far Cry 3 to ND thru Steam, and clicking my desktop icon gets me straight to main menu—given enough time of course, bathroom of grab a snack time for sure.

Reactions: mainer and Sarafan
Are those very old games? I have Far Cry 3 to ND thru Steam, and clicking my desktop icon gets me straight to main menu—given enough time of course, bathroom of grab a snack time for sure.
No, the old games like FC3 go straight to the game. They started forcing it to go to their client after that. I'm not really sure when. But I think they eventually just stopped selling Ubisoft games on Steam, didn't they? So there was just a brief window where they had games on Steam that did that before they quit putting them on there.

Actually, I just looked it up. For a while, they quit putting their games on Steam, but it looks like just recently, they said they're going to start putting them back on there.

Yes they did, only their own place and Epic now—not sure if going to Steam after say a year or so… altho no, it's over a year since FC6 now.

Oh, hadn't heard that.
I think it was just one or two months ago that Ubisoft said they are probably going to put games back on Steam. I'm interested to see if they do it the same way and force them to open their client from Steam.

Reactions: Brian Boru

Sarafan

Community Contributor
I think it was just one or two months ago that Ubisoft said they are probably going to put games back on Steam. I'm interested to see if they do it the same way and force them to open their client from Steam.

You can be almost 100% sure that it'll require Ubisoft Connect. All major publishers that have their own launchers have this demand on Steam. Of course with the exception of games that were published before launchers became a thing.

TRENDING THREADS