Question Drive Failing?

Jan 21, 2020
Visit site
Hey all, I've never really known when or how to find out if my Drive has ever failed as I've NEVER experienced it before. However, I was watching TV for about 15 minutes and my PC had been on for maybe 2 or 3 hours and I was on it prior to me watching TV, when I came back I saw this (This is NOT my Picture, just the same information I saw):
maxresdefault.jpg

I restarted my PC, downloaded Crystal Disk Info and ran the program. With that being said, I did some research and saw that my m.2 drive (that came with this PC) is a "Lenovo30" 512GB NVMe SSD. Seems these are "carbon" drives and have been known to hang, fail or be DOA a lot of the time.

uUU3AM9.png

z9J2YQT.png

Something I also am not entirely sure of is does my board actually support PCIe Gen 4? with the screenshot right above CPUZ says it does under the "Graphics" Interface but does this mean the same thing for M.2 NVMe drives?

I might just play it safe and order a new drive anyways

Something I also am not entirely sure of is does my board actually support PCIe Gen 4? with the screenshot right above CPUZ says it does under the "Graphics" Interface but does this mean the same thing for M.2 NVMe drives?
if you look in same shot, up above the Graphics Interface it shows PCI 3.0 Bus speed... so I suspect its only PCIe 3 for everything apart from gpu. That seems odd that it supports 4 on GPU though.

Board comes out of: https://www.hardware-corner.net/desktop-models/Dell-OptiPlex-7060-SFF/
The chipset on the motherboard is a Intel Q370, it only supports PCIe3
Its likely the PCIe 4 slot is linked to the CPU itself. IN many boards the CPU controls the GPU directly and its only other slots that are run by motherboard. On mine, top Nvme & 1st pcie are controlled by CPU, everything else motherboard.

nvme can just stop working. So yeah, I would get another one and use that one as a storage drive, if you have space for two.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Jan 21, 2020
Visit site
if you look in same shot, up above the Graphics Interface it shows PCI 3.0 Bus speed... so I suspect its only PCIe 3 for everything apart from gpu. That seems odd that it supports 4 on GPU though.

Board comes out of: https://www.hardware-corner.net/desktop-models/Dell-OptiPlex-7060-SFF/
The chipset on the motherboard is a Intel Q370, it only supports PCIe3
Its likely the PCIe 4 slot is linked to the CPU itself.

nvme can just stop working. So yeah, I would get another one and use that one as a storage drive, if you have space for two.

So after some more digging I found that my RTX A2000 card is a PCIe Gen 4 card but I'm running it in a PCIe Gen 3.0 x4 lane, (waiting on a single slot cooler in the next two weeks or so) so I can slot it into the Gen 3.0 x16 Lane so I think the Motherboard is just reading that my card is capable of running in it's native 4.0 but can't actually.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS