Do you own a 7970? Can you check this please?

Hello

I'm hoping to hear from someone who owns a 7970 Graphics Card.
Any 7970 will do as a minimum info base - but If possible it would be ideal if it was the same one I have or as close as possible to mine below...

SAPPHIRE HD 7970 3GB GDDR5 OC with Boost

Please make sure to list the full Brand /Model / Name and specs of your card for comparison sake eg incl gb or memory etc.

I really need someone to help me out by taking some screenshots of the Graphics Drivers section where it lists all 'possible modes' for Resolutions and Refresh Rates (regardless of what you current monitor can do). I would do it myself but unfortunately my current old PC is totally Borked and won't login to windows! I've been trying to get someone to help me with this for a while and I really need that info.

I'm really hoping to be able to do 144hz or 165hz if not higher if possible?

I am planning on buying a 12th Gen system and want to maybe use the Integrated Graphics for now as I may not play any games until I get a newer/decent GPU later on if prices ever come down... I just want the system for Music Production and usual daily uses for now. I'm thinking it's possible the Integrated Graphics might be better than my ancient GPU?

I'm trying to find out which will have the highest Refresh Rates at different Resolutions so I can decide which one to use - either the 7970 or the Integrated GPU?

Thing is - I really need to know what the Maximum Refresh Rates the 7970 can do at both 2K and 1080p so I know what specs I can use to buy a new High Refresh Rate Monitor to perfectly match with the system.

No point spending lots of cash on a great monitor with sweet High Refresh Rates only to find later it can't do the high rates I'd hoped?

I have tried talking to Sapphire in Hong Kong again and again for ages now and they are utterly useless (Just as Intel is trying to find out about the Integrated Graphics.
All they have listed so far is the Max resolution of 4K 60hz... can't tell me anything else!

If you don't have a 7970 - but know someone who might - could you please ask them to check this out?

Also - if you or someone you know owns an Intel 12th Gen CPU - my understanding is they all have the same Integrated Graphics UHD 770. Could you please ask them to check out my related thread.

So if someone would be so kind as to help me out here by taking screenshots of at least those two modes - or ideally the complete list from 1080p up to 4K?

That would be so greatly appreciated!

Thank you for your help

Cheers

Last edited:
It depends which port you use to output to the screen.

Far as I can see you'll be able to do 4K at 75Hz over Display port 1.2 or 4K at 30Hz over the HDMI 1.4

Handy tools here.

and here

The 7970 would be faster than the new integrated for gaming, but the integrated might be able to do higher refresh rates at the desktop as they will have newer models for Displayport and HDMI able to display that fast.

High Hz on the desktop is pretty redundant IMO, although you'll find people who swear they can perceive the difference.

The 7970 will be able to do DX12 as well so no worries there.

Reactions: Brian Boru and Alm
It depends which port you use to output to the screen.

Hi

I've heard several people say this when I ask about my 'card'... they mention the 'Cables/Ports' instead?

I understand that it matters 'how' you output your GPU... but surely each gpu has it's own specs that will limit what are the Maximum Refresh Rates they can do at different Resolutions too?

That's what I really need to know - not just the limitations/capabilities of the Cables/Ports?

High Hz on the desktop is pretty redundant IMO, although you'll find people who swear they can perceive the difference.

Yeah that might be true (I don't know from experience)... but it may make a difference with Music Production which is my focus.

The 7970 will be able to do DX12 as well so no worries there.

I'm assuming that it's not possible to update a DX version to a higher one... either on that old card or any ever?

BTW - anyway I can pm you?

cheers

Hi

I've heard several people say this when I ask about my 'card'... they mention the 'Cables/Ports' instead?

I understand that it matters 'how' you output your GPU... but surely each gpu has it's own specs that will limit what are the Maximum Refresh Rates they can do at different Resolutions too?

That's what I really need to know - not just the limitations/capabilities of the Cables/Ports?

You've got it backwards, your card is limited by the generation of the ports installed on it. In your case Display Port 1.2 and HDMI 1.4. The amount of FPS it can output is going to be more limited by its power at this point, but the theoretical limits are due to the connectors. Hence why the integrated graphics on a modern system can output higher FPS in theory but in practice they aren't necessarily as powerful as your old card in a game.

Cards have varying levels of support for DX features, I'm no expert on API's but I do know that the HD7970 supports DX12 at some level as well as all other previous versions of course. If you're asking whether its due to hardware, I think it is partly driver and partly hardware. All that really matters practically is if they list it as supported.

I'd rather keep it to the post here because theres others here who might know more, and also its nice for anyone else in the future who might have the same question and stumble across it here. :)

Reactions: Brian Boru
You've got it backwards, your card is limited by the generation of the ports installed on it

No I totally get what you're saying... but my point is; assuming you've got a cable/output big enough for what you want... the major limiting factor after that is going to be the specs of the GPU!

And it's the varying levels of max resolution/refresh rates for both my Integrated GPU and my 7970 that I really need to find out so I can use that knowledge to buy a spec'd out monitor that I know at least one of my 'GPU's' can power fully!

I never thought it'd be so painful to try and find out lol

Cards have varying levels of support for DX features, I'm no expert on API's but I do know that the HD7970 supports DX12 at some level as well as all other previous versions of course

That's surprising - I didn't think any GPU's could be upgraded to work with the next iteration of DX!

However, If you move up to a new future Windows version that requires 'the next jump up' in DX... I assume that'd still mean that most the time your old card simply will not work anymore with the new Windows?

Eg if you had DX12 and the next Windows required DX 13 and they decided there would be no upgrades for your line of GPUs... stick a fork in it?

I'd rather keep it to the post here because there's others here who might know more, and also its nice for anyone else in the future who might have the same question and stumble across it here.

No worries - I was just going to ask if you might be able to pass this and the related Integrated GPU thread on to anyone who you think might have one of either of those?

As I said - I'm only even considering asking you as I don't know any gamers these days and I literally just cannot get confirmation of this info and it's really holding me back from going out and finally buying everything for my build - as it's all hinging on what Monitor I can run fully?

Fair enough if you're not able to do that!

Thanks again for your help

Cheers

1. No I totally get what you're saying... but my point that assuming you've got a cable/output big enough for what you want... the major limit factor after that is going to be the specs of the GPU!

And it's the varying levels of max resolution/refresh rates for both my Integrated GPU and my 7970 that I really need to find out so I can use that knowledge to buy a spec'd out monitor that I know at least one of my 'GPU's' can power fully!

I never thought it'd be so painful to try and find out lol

2. That's surprising - I didn't think any GPU's could be upgraded to work with the next iteration of DX!

However, If you move up to a new future Windows version that requires 'the next jump up' in DX... I assume that'd still mean your old card simply will not work anymore with the new Windows?

Eg if you had DX12 and the next Windows required DX 13... stick a fork in it?

No worries - I was just going to ask if you might be able to pass this and the related Integrated GPU thread on to anyone who you think might have one of either of those?

As I said - I'm only even considering asking you as I don't know any gamers these days and I literally just cannot get confirmation of this info and it's really holding me back from going out and finally buying everything for my build - as it's all hinging on what Monitor I can run fully?

Fair enough if you're not able to do that!

Cheers
1. I mean as far as I understand it I have explained it. I could be wrong, but those ports arent specced to output more than stated ADAIK, maybe there's some other way around it I'm not aware of.

The Intel GPU UHD 770 looks capable of 8k on the desktop at 60hz and every resolution underneath at more, if that helps at all.

2. I know Nvidia were talking about enabling DX 12 support for older generations of cards 500 series I believe for a long time and then never did. AFAIK it a technicality as some features of DX12 require certain hardware to work.

I have no idea about DX in Windows I'm afraid, some quick Googling says that Win 11 requires a DX12 capable card, that's as far as I know.

Dont know anyone with a 12 series chip or a 7970 Im afraid, had a 7950 myself 10 years ago but its long gone.

Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS