Question cpu error

Dec 21, 2023
Visit site
greetings everyone

a friend of mine gave me a pc that his father built a few years back, i got it to turn on and it said there was a cpu error. its liquid cooled yet the cooler fans are not turning on.

it has an asus rampage iv extreme motherboard

2 evga gtx 580 sli bridged

captain 240x cooler

now my friend has a proper pc of his own, and he always said when i get a power supply, dont be chinsey, (i forgot to mention the pc he gave me didnt have a power supply) anyways i have one now but its 700w, and he would always tell me to look for a 1000w, could this be why the fans arent kicking on? because theres not enough power to go round?

idk how to upload pics..if anyone could help with that too ill show u guys what im workin with

thank yalls
-jochre

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum :)

idk how to upload pics

Upload your pic to an image hosting site like Imgur.com and then include a link to it in a post here-your image will then show up here.

BXhxj3s.png

and then

bhdPGSS.png

Welcome to the site. That was some rig when it was first built, itll be showing its age now but for free you cant complain.

Try taking out the bottom GTX 580 completely. SLI (two cards at once) has not been supported by anything for several years, its just going to create more heat and make things generally worse.

Second thought is, did you remember to plug in the CPU power cable from the PSU?

A good dusting wouldnt hurt either.

Reactions: Brian Boru
From the photo i cant work out what is being illuminated behind the power supply , i can see that the rear fan is not moving so was the pc turned on when you took the photo , when you say fans not working do you mean some of them or all of them.

If you mean only the graphics card fans not working take a look at them when you boot up the pc , you should see them spin for a few seconds then stop .... thats supposed to happen. The fans on the cards should stay stationary until the temp gets up to around 74 degrees.

A couple of other things , i can see the printed circuit boards on the cards , what happened to the part of the casing that should be on them.

Kaamos mentioned dust .... turn your pc off and use a can of compressed air commonly known as air dusters to clean out the machine , at the same time as you use the air holder a hoover nozzle inside the machine to pull the floating dust away but dont let it touch anything.

WARNING .... keep the can of air upright at all times or the propellant will squirt out and wet your parts.

Dec 21, 2023
Visit site

Welcome to the site. That was some rig when it was first built, itll be showing its age now but for free you cant complain.

Try taking out the bottom GTX 580 completely. SLI (two cards at once) has not been supported by anything for several years, its just going to create more heat and make things generally worse.

Second thought is, did you remember to plug in the CPU power cable from the PSU?

A good dusting wouldnt hurt either.
ive tried taking out the bottom gtx 580 but still nothing, also the cpu power cable is currently plugged into the psu

Dec 21, 2023
Visit site
From the photo i cant work out what is being illuminated behind the power supply , i can see that the rear fan is not moving so was the pc turned on when you took the photo , when you say fans not working do you mean some of them or all of them.

If you mean only the graphics card fans not working take a look at them when you boot up the pc , you should see them spin for a few seconds then stop .... thats supposed to happen. The fans on the cards should stay stationary until the temp gets up to around 74 degrees.

A couple of other things , i can see the printed circuit boards on the cards , what happened to the part of the casing that should be on them.

Kaamos mentioned dust .... turn your pc off and use a can of compressed air commonly known as air dusters to clean out the machine , at the same time as you use the air holder a hoover nozzle inside the machine to pull the floating dust away but dont let it touch anything.

WARNING .... keep the can of air upright at all times or the propellant will squirt out and wet your parts.
the glow is coming from a neon open sign behind the pc 🙄

the fan on the back does come on and stays on, as well as both gpu fans. its only the liquid cooler fans that wont turn on. maybe they turn on around 74⁰ also?

i read somewhere it only takes 20 seconds or so before your pc over heats, so i was quick to shut. it down after seeing the cpu error.

I kind of depends.

Deepcool Captains havent been around as long as the rest of the system, but its possible if it was sitting idle for a long time the pump has failed or liquid evaporated.

Are the fans from the cooler plugged into the fan ports on the motherboard?

Dec 21, 2023
Visit site
I kind of depends.

Deepcool Captains havent been around as long as the rest of the system, but its possible if it was sitting idle for a long time the pump has failed or liquid evaporated.

Are the fans from the cooler plugged into the fan ports on the motherboard?
so the deep cool captain was brand new in the box, the friend who gifted me the pc, gave the cooler to another friend of mine, who in turn gave it to me, the cooler that was installed originally was an intel. im not exactly sure why we switched it out for the deepcool

OK, more questions :)

Were the fans plugged in to the motherboard fan portd? What kind of Intel cooler was attached before?

Also when you installed the DeepCool Captain did it have a mounting kit specifically for Intel X79 series Motherboards? That wouldnt explain why the fans werent spinning but could explain why the cooler wasnt working properly. Also check you removed any plastic from the waterblock if it was new from the box?

On a closer look, youve only got one stick of RAM in there as well, might have to switch that around a couple sockets later on once cooler is working to get it to boot.

Dec 21, 2023
Visit site
OK, more questions :)

Were the fans plugged in to the motherboard fan portd? What kind of Intel cooler was attached before?

Also when you installed the DeepCool Captain did it have a mounting kit specifically for Intel X79 series Motherboards? That wouldnt explain why the fans werent spinning but could explain why the cooler wasnt working properly. Also check you removed any plastic from the waterblock if it was new from the box?

On a closer look, youve only got one stick of RAM in there as well, might have to switch that around a couple sockets later on once cooler is working to get it to boot.
the deepcool fans came with a fan hub, so the fans are plugged into that, and the hub is plugged into the spot marked cpu fan..what are those little metal pins called anyways?

im not sure of the type of intel cooler it had, but it only had a single fan on it.
the captain did have a special bracket for AMD processors, but i have an intel processor. i dont know the speciffic model, but i do remember my buddy saying its the best processor for this motherboard, and (dont quote me on this) that it has 8 cores and 8 virtual cores??

as for the plastic on the plastic on the water block, im not aure, but i can only the guy who installed it the Captain is pretty familair with building conputers, so im inclined to say he would have removed the plastic; the plastic was for packaging purposes, right?

Intel processors have different spacing for cooler mounting depending on the socket type, which is different depending on the socket type and age. Some are the same but yours is for sure not a normal one and pretty old too. Basically not all Intel mounting kits are the same, and Id be very surprised if a new cooler came with a kit for a socket type discontinued 10 years ago. Its possible the holes might line up, with a newer kit, if you trust your friend to get it right lets assume they did. It shouldnt affect the fans spinning but if the water block isnt secured tight against the processor then the cooler wouldnt work well.

Its a common mistake for people to leave the plastic covering on the heatsink when installing coolers, by mistake.

Anyway if the fans arent spinning on the cooler, theres either a problem with the cooler fan hub, or the motherboard socket. Check the cables and connections, if theyre all solid youll need to try a different cooler, or a different motherboard.

Someone else might have another suggestion, but im not sure on any other suggestions here. Perhaps try over at Toms Hardware forum, someone there might have a better idea.

• Love
Dec 21, 2023
Visit site
Intel processors have different spacing for cooler mounting depending on the socket type, which is different depending on the socket type and age. Some are the same but yours is for sure not a normal one and pretty old too. Basically not all Intel mounting kits are the same, and Id be very surprised if a new cooler came with a kit for a socket type discontinued 10 years ago. Its possible the holes might line up, with a newer kit, if you trust your friend to get it right lets assume they did. It shouldnt affect the fans spinning but if the water block isnt secured tight against the processor then the cooler wouldnt work well.

Its a common mistake for people to leave the plastic covering on the heatsink when installing coolers, by mistake.

Anyway if the fans arent spinning on the cooler, theres either a problem with the cooler fan hub, or the motherboard socket. Check the cables and connections, if theyre all solid youll need to try a different cooler, or a different motherboard.

Someone else might have another suggestion, but im not sure on any other suggestions here. Perhaps try over at Toms Hardware forum, someone there might have a better idea.
it has an intel i7 3960x and the socket is the lga2011.. unfortunately i do not have a secondary motherboard to plug into..

The CPU cooler fan hub is plugged into the port on the motherboard marked 'CPU Fan'? and the CPU power cable from the PSU is plugged into the CPU power port next to the CPU socket?

Sorry but other than that if no one else here has any ideas, I can only suggest you ask over at Toms Hardware.

If the above is in order it sounds to me like you have a hardware error, and the only way to check that is either with the right electronic test tools and knowledge, or by swapping out components for ones known to work.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts