CPU and GPU advice???

May 2, 2020
Visit site
My son and I built a rig about 2 yrs ago, but lightning hit house causing some damage. Need a new power supply and MOBO, so my son was talking about switching from the intel i7 or i9 to AMD. Should we do that or stick to intel? Also, the set up has a GTX 1070 GPU... should we sell it and get something new... if so what would be good without spending too much more. He mostly games/streams and does some video editing.

May 2, 2020
Visit site
GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4
Storage: Samsung 890 EVO, WD SATA 1TB

Needs new Power Supply, MOBO and CPU... but might get new GPU and sell the 1070.

What's the current CPU? Will help to avoid suggesting things that are actually downgrades :p

If you don't mind saying what country and currency you are shopping it, and a rough budget (or budget range), it will help make suggestions that are realistic. Can still make suggestions otherwise, they'll just be very vague.

The even the AMD R5 3600 would technically be an upgrade, offering competitive or better performance in straight gaming and being much better for streaming or video editing.

The R7 3700x would be great. 3800x only really worth it if the price difference is not too much locally.

A B450 mobo is fine. If you don't mind spending a bit more, the Asus X570 Plus has a lot of features and PCIe 4.0, without being outrageously expensive.

AMD is definitely the better bet for now, thanks to the extra threads and/or cores at a given price point, which will be an asset for streaming, and the gaming performance is very good.

For the PSU, Seasonic Focus Gold / Plus , Corsair RMx / RM2019 depending on local pricing. TXm is pretty good and is sometimes cheaper. PSU availability right now seems to be all over the place.

You can use https://pcpartpicker.com/ to help you comparison shop pricing wise, and you can post a list of parts here if you want feedback.

What model PSU did you have before out of interest?

As for the GPU, what resolution and refresh rate does your son game at? 1080p 144hz..?

Reactions: LCarlson
For 1440p high refresh, you could look into a new GPU. A 1070 will still do fine I'm sure, but there are upgrades available. RX 5700 XT or RTX 2070 Super. The 5700 XT usually offers much better bang for buck, being not too far off the 2070 Super but quite a bit cheaper.

BF:V is one where the RX 5700 XT outperforms the 2070 Super, but on average the 2070 Super has a modest lead. But it does often cost a lot more.

Perhaps start with the parts you need to replace, and then see how you / your son feel about the 1070's performance.

May 2, 2020
Visit site
Currently AMD Ryzen CPUs are very popular due to competitive price.
Not sure how much are you willing to spend. For mainly online games 1070 is still decent I would look into changing CPU only.

Ryzen R5 3600 is probably the best value choice unless you can justify spending approx $100 more for i7 9700k and gain approx 10% more performance. Motherboards and Power Supply is also dependable on total budget.

Gigabytes b450 DS3H is a budget option and most popular B450 Tomahawk Max $30-50 more.

May 2, 2020
Visit site
not too concerned over MOBO... theres many good options to pair up with either the intel or AMD CPU. Strongly considering the GPU upgrade so his rig will be trucking along for a few more years before needing to look at any other changes.

The Ryzen 7 3700x is a very good buy for gamers who also stream and video edit. The extra cores should help keep it useful for those tasks for a while longer than even the (also good) R5 3600. If it budget allows it is worth serious consideration.

I'd go with the Ryzen 7 300X as well with a B450 motherboard.

I'd suggest not changing the GPU at the moment as towards the end of the year you would have both the new NVIDIA Ampere and new AMD RDNA2 based cards.

Both are looking like significant improvements on current architecture and I would say it's worth waiting six month's for them.

This is of course if your GTX1070 didn't get fried along with the Motherboard. Bizarrely I had a similar thing happen to me and I was lucky it just killed the CPU, MB and PSU.

I would say that a good 650W PSU is about right for a good future proofed system.

TRENDING THREADS