Concord

hmm, it seems to have hit the ground and forgot to keep running

Not much I can see on
Ambitious, but may not be what players are looking for. The recent PCG article on Concord stated the game has been in development for 8 years, which would be around 2016. At that time Overwatch was the brand new craze, so it made sense to want to build a paid-for, microtransaction free hero shooter. However over the course of 8 years I think the general consensus is players enjoy free games with optional paid cosmetics. Back then in-game microtransactions were a lot more predatory than now, having randomized loot boxes that give you items for an advantage while playing. These days we don’t see that anymore besides mobile games, most F2P shooters you can play on PC only have battle passes and cosmetics available to buy, so having a paid for hero shooter is just not what the gaming audience wants anymore. I may be wrong, entirely just my own speculation.

ElvenNeko

Registered Developer
Jul 6, 2024
Visit site
This game fails because it's a competitive thing that are many years missed the popularity of genre and does not really bring anything new to the table. Look at Finals, it's basicly unreal tournament on steroids, but it not only brings full destruction, but also various new game modes, and constantly experimeting with that. And since all micros there are cosmetics, it also attracts tons of people because it's a free game of good quality.

I think a lot of multiplayer game dev's that want to just copy successful game should ask themselves "what is special about my game that will make the audience of game i want to copy leave it and join my game?". Very often the answer is "nothing". You can't really win on competitive field without innovating.

Honestly i've not heard of it until the last few days. Doesn't seem to be much advertising or trailers/hype for it and from what i've heard its just another team based/ class team shooter that we're currently saturated with already.

Not being f2p probably isn't helping things and when it does go to f2p it will probably feel like at deaths door.

I believe the major issue boils down to a company wanting to do something their unique way, but not considering what the masses want while at the same time not communicating with the players. The more you look at your own product without much external communication, the more tight-knit the thinking will be and institutionalized.

Every other video on Youtube right now is about the game. I don't need 20 people telling me the same thing. I got sick of it hours ago.

The game had no focus, it seemed to want to be everything and it didn't do any of them any differently to other games, the price is just one aspect. It isn't the only reason.

Some of the levelling up of characters required a week of play to earn, so I doubt many people got to see the better variants. Each new variant got a new attack so your character did evolve over time. Its a shame I learned more about how game played after it was cancelled - not that I play shooting games. It just helps to know

First impressions shot this game down. Fact it got less interest in the open beta to previous one, should have been a warning.
I believe the major issue boils down to a company wanting to do something their unique way, but not considering what the masses want and at the same time not communicating with the players.
I just said this and you posted lol:
Companies should get gamers to play test these things and tell them if its actually something players want before releasing it and being embarrased.

Hard part is finding people that will tell you the truth and not something they think you want to hear... access is a problem. People might not want to upset. But that is how we get to the position we in now. They just listen to people who blow smoke up their bottom.
Too many people in echo chambers.

8 years is a long time... it seems like no one was driving game, it has different parts from different games. How many times did they change what it was going to mimic through out development? Looks like about 4 ideas got equal amount of work... Nothing stands out... gave them a smorgasbord of bland food... not appealing. Players rejected the food. They don't have to eat it, plenty of choices.

You can't force them to consume it... it would be only way some things would get attention. Block all other choices.

Last edited:
To take myself as an example. I'm in the pre-planning process of writing a novel. When I feel I might have something to work with, I'll be more serious about it and start building upon it.

It is going to be my first novel and there is a very high probability that publishers will not like the first version. So, what will I do in the process? I am going to write a small segment first, then I am going to share it with family and friends and get some constructive criticism. I'll also use different forums and whatnot for tips on how to build the novel and then I will use several publishers to get even more professional feedback. Then it is back to the drawing board removing/rewriting stuff and hopefully making the novel flourish.

What I will not do is to write something and go to one publisher believing I have something great. That very seldomly works for anyone if you are not insanely talented (which I am not). One thing is for sure, when I do get constructive feedback, I am not going to blame the publisher or anyone else for that matter for not understanding what I write, thinking that I am special.

Let's even say I do get it published, that I am one of the lucky ones. That does not mean it will sell at all! I shouldn't then go about blaming people for not being interested or not understanding my art. I should go back and make something that will make people interested. It's a very hard market to get into, which means I will have to work even harder and this I think goes to whatever you are making in life, whether developing a game or selling some other product.

Last edited:
I shouldn't then go about blaming people for not being interested or not understanding my art.
Better not apply for work at Disney PR with that attitude :)

Blaming people who don't HAVE to purchase your product for not buying it, never worked before, but it seems to be how they promote everything now. Clearly something is wrong with PR then... its meant to not treat public as a threat... its meant to understand them. And act as an interface.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts