Command and Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars

If you've played this—vanilla, I'm not onto the Kane's Wrath expansion yet—please comment, as I'm a bit concerned. Tried a few skirmishes on easy to get the lay of the land, and I'm surprised how quickly the AI sends a decent attacking force across. And then another not long after… and another.

Did some reading, and I get the impression C&C3 has deviated into the tactical having priority over the strategic—ie gone away from the essence of C&C1 & 2. I see claims the final 1.09 patch hugely nerfed the economy in order to balance out some multi-player issues, and that this made the SP campaigns and skirmish almost unwinnable even on easy.

I'm not concerned about skirmish, as there is an infinitely variable difficulty setting available for that, but I'd like to be able to get thru the 38 campaign missions with more focus on thoughts per minute rather than actions per minute.

I don't recall any such problem back in 2007 when it first came out—but then there was Crysis and Civ 4 and Supreme Commander to distract that year :)

If you've played this—vanilla, I'm not onto the Kane's Wrath expansion yet—please comment, as I'm a bit concerned. Tried a few skirmishes on easy to get the lay of the land, and I'm surprised how quickly the AI sends a decent attacking force across. And then another not long after… and another.

Did some reading, and I get the impression C&C3 has deviated into the tactical having priority over the strategic—ie gone away from the essence of C&C1 & 2. I see claims the final 1.09 patch hugely nerfed the economy in order to balance out some multi-player issues, and that this made the SP campaigns and skirmish almost unwinnable even on easy.

I'm not concerned about skirmish, as there is an infinitely variable difficulty setting available for that, but I'd like to be able to get thru the 38 campaign missions with more focus on thoughts per minute rather than actions per minute.

I don't recall any such problem back in 2007 when it first came out—but then there was Crysis and Civ 4 and Supreme Commander to distract that year :)
I just read a ton of Steam reviews saying the last patch killed SP, so here you go:

I've played through the entire campaign a long time ago and I don't remember it being particularly difficult. Since I'm not very good at RTS games it can't have been too fast paced when I played it, but that's probably before the latest patch.

I think you can survive pretty easily if you just focus on turtling in the beginning and let the AI smash its units against your defences. Veterancy makes your units way more powerful, so it really helps just farming incoming waves for a bit.

Thanks for that, and for looking :)
At least one silver lining so far…
"…Kane's Wrath. The expansion does not suffer from this problem."
…so at least KW should be playable.

This mod…
Tiberium Wars Advanced
…also looks promising.

Nice there's still a steady trickle of mods for this 16yo game.
The real silver lining is that the mod takes away the terrible patch so you can play the main campaign with no problem :)

Sarafan

Community Contributor
I finished all campaigns on hard and even managed to gather almost all of the optional intel, but... It was on the unpatched version. I don't know how it goes on the fully patched one. The fact is that C&C3 has higher pace than previous C&C games. It presents a more modern approach to RTS genre and was designed patialy for e-sport. Too bad that EA dropped the multiplayer so quickly. I had a temptation to play the campaigns once again some time ago and I'll probably do this in the future. Bigger challenge that was introduced by 1.09 patch doesn't seem a bad thing for me, because I remember the original campaigns being too easy.

C&C3 has higher pace than previous C&C games. It presents a more modern approach to RTS
I'm not a fan of the drift from strategy to tactics in RTS, probably caused by the success of StarCraft. I'm hopeful of recent announcements of RTSs apparently swinging back towards the slower more strategic approach.

Plenty of room for RTS and RTT to co-exist, and maybe RTS with pause as a hybrid.

Reactions: Sarafan and Pifanjr
Apr 1, 2023
Visit site
I don't know, but I liked this part of the C&C series the least. Red Alert 2 and 3 can't be beaten. Although it is possible to pass a few evenings while playing the company. But I wouldn't play it on a regular basis.

Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts